Some China tech stocks are in value territory but mindful of the risks...

Yesterday spend some time to crunch the numbers, stocks.like BIDU and Alirxpress are not expensive by valuation.

Of course, there is alot of uncertainty surrounding what the Chinese govt will do but let me address them:

1. Anti-monopoly ...software companies are natural monopolies. For example Facebook...you are on it because all your data you already upload and friends are also on it so not easy to switch. Similarly the Alibaba eco system and Wechat pay etc it does not make sense to break such monopolies. If vendor use 20 different payment methods it is a nightmare. 

2. Data Privacy concern. Data is power today and in China there is only one in the surveillance state. Some.one else in possession of so much data about the people is a concern ...imagine Alibaba will know the buying habits of the China ruling elites. Didi will know where civil servants and party members go. If this data falls into hands of an unfriendly state, the regulators need time to come up frameworks and guidelines on privacy protection as well security issues. 

3. Profits. Many of these tech giants have foreign ownership Tencent biggest shareholder is South Africa and Alibaba is Japanese. The govt is ever tempted to tax these profits.

Based on  the above. Jnvesting in US listed China firms is a no. Companies ie Nio etc can just get canned if China declare US listing illegal because they use a backdoor for listing and trade tensions will put these at risk from actions of govt from both sides.

Those with listing in China have been purchased by Chinese  citizens and pension funds in China. The Chinese govt is not going to harm its own interests.

If I have to pick it will be Netease and Bidu at their current price.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(28-07-2021, 08:13 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Yesterday spend some time to crunch the numbers, stocks.like BIDU and Alirxpress are not expensive by valuation.

Of course, there is alot of uncertainty surrounding what the Chinese govt will do but let me address them:

1. Anti-monopoly ...software companies are natural monopolies. For example Facebook...you are on it because all your data you already upload and friends are also on it so not easy to switch. Similarly the Alibaba eco system and Wechat pay etc it does not make sense to break such monopolies. If vendor use 20 different payment methods it is a nightmare. 

2. Data Privacy concern. Data is power today and in China there is only one in the surveillance state. Some.one else in possession of so much data about the people is a concern ...imagine Alibaba will know the buying habits of the China ruling elites. Didi will know where civil servants and party members go. If this data falls into hands of an unfriendly state, the regulators need time to come up frameworks and guidelines on privacy protection as well security issues. 

3. Profits. Many of these tech giants have foreign ownership Tencent biggest shareholder is South Africa and Alibaba is Japanese. The govt is ever tempted to tax these profits.

Based on  the above. Jnvesting in US listed China firms is a no. Companies ie Nio etc can just get canned if China declare US listing illegal because they use a backdoor for listing and trade tensions will put these at risk from actions of govt from both sides.

Those with listing in China have been purchased by Chinese  citizens and pension funds in China. The Chinese govt is not going to harm its own interests.

Bro u don’t intent to cut some of yr Hsi portfolio? The valuation and growth expectations have to be discounted by at least 30%

(28-07-2021, 08:22 AM)Zannn Wrote:  
(28-07-2021, 08:13 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Yesterday spend some time to crunch the numbers, stocks.like BIDU and Alirxpress are not expensive by valuation.

Bro u don’t intent to cut some of yr Hsi portfolio? The valuation and growth expectations have to be discounted by at least 30%

No. Have some buffer as I bout around 1yr ago.
Some.may go down but I am more keen to purchase.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Netease and Baidu moving up...13% and 6% in one day...
[Image: iakD35g.jpg]