Tommy Koh : S'pore left out of democracy summit as we are not considered democratic

(10-12-2021, 08:20 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  is this lao ah gua still relevant today?

pot meet kettle.. Laughter-13

saw him im Tanglin club 3 YRS AGO  WALKING TO CARPARK ,N DROVE OFF SUPRISED HE DID NOT HV AN AMAK (CHAUFFEUR).

Whats the point of this summit? 
Nothing great about being a democracy when your country is in deep shit

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

With TK’s articulate speech and his circle of important international friends, Sg managed to get the little rock island with the lighthouse.

8Umbrella Umbrella
[+] 1 user Likes klat's post

(10-12-2021, 10:20 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I don't even understand why problem people have here with TK.

What he said is the vanilla truth.

Also the summit is discussing some of the challenges faced by democracy ...such as safety against terrorism vs need to protect individual rights. Threats misinformation falsehoods and abuse of right of free speech....and balance between dealing with foreign interference and citizens rights.

Imagine Singapore say no problem we have POFMA, FICA ISD...all problems solved easily...we will be laughing stock.

Better we don't go as our value system is different  We solve problems with little regard for democratic values. Whether u love the pap or don't its the truth.

You don't see Korea or Japan or Taiwan implementing POFMA.
Adding to these, not only these countries, many countries don’t implement POFMA too.

Every country practice democracy according to their people demography and culture...
Even US is different from Europe...UK...
They allowed cheating in GE vote count recently.. Clapping

For once I support Tommy.
SG met the main criteria 

Free GE voting of government every 4 years
Abide by Westminster Parliamentary law and order
Rule to improve people's living conditions. 
Practice freedom in religion and culture 

In some sense, better than US democracy creating violent, black vs white, gun killing and cheating in vote count, etc.. 
Shame!
[+] 2 users Like moonrab's post

correct we are communists.
Klaus schwap and his minions.
 no wori China communism is now Democratic no. 1
Joe preparing an invasion thr. the Border.

(10-12-2021, 11:07 AM)singlon Wrote:  correct we are communists.
Klaus schwap and his minions.
 no wori China communism is now Democratic no. 1
Joe preparing an invasion thr. the Border.
You speaks with strange words. I don’t understand you. Are you omnipresent?

In the malee just remember it is abt BoLUI without cowBoys and Girls.
How else Greta Thunberg, mother of God can sing:
Help the Banks help the world
Help the Bonds help the world.d
[Image: Screenshot-2021-12-10-at-10-57-26-Biden-...ted-10.png]

We have move just touching the emperor of US corporation
after report 0f sister of Evergrande resided at Wan chai red light district, HK
connection Britanny.
It is his turn to go on stage.

You want freedom you go take a walk around Philadelphia. That's freedom... A very heavy price to pay...

Our Ambassadors residing in the US for many many yrs will have to go like ET:
Home Home ET goes Home please!

https://youtu.be/tn8BFholnvc

Joe is squeezing everywhere and sending the gas to India and China to keep US corporation going....dire.
Remember no cowBoys and Girls BoLUI. how?

Democracy has become democrazy, ie, a society of crazy people n half human, half animal LGBTETC..

Such society must degenerate into rubbish slums fit for wild life.

Quote:Prof Koh, however, said Singapore should have been invited because it satisfies what he felt to be fundamental criteria for a democracy - including giving people the right to vote, holding free and fair elections at regular intervals and having a Constitution protecting fundamental freedoms and rights, as well as an independent judiciary and rule of law.

Noting that there was no single model for democracy, Prof Koh added that perhaps in the eyes of the US' Democratic Party, Singapore-style democracy with its many unique Singapore characteristics was not a true democracy.

There is no single model of Democracy that is why N.Korea calls itself Democratic People's Republic of Korea,

However, I disagree that having elections and independent judiciary alone is enough to be called a democracy. He says rights of people in Singapore are protect...that is to a certain degree.

Large part of democracy has to do with power...whether it is concentrated or in the hands of the people who can challenge the actions of the govt. In today's era I will throw in access to information - do the people have access to information or is it asymmetric.

TK also mention the term "Open Society".

Can we honestly say there is no fear of speaking up in Singapore against the govt? I don't think so.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(10-12-2021, 11:38 AM)Yin yang Wrote:  Democracy has become democrazy, ie, a society of crazy people n half human, half  animal LGBTETC..

Such society must degenerate into rubbish slums fit for wild life.

Taiwan's "glory": 

[Image: Tang-Feng-Taiwan-01.png]

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

Ang Moh tot we are a democratic country like them... Rotfl

Human system is never a perfect system.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

why he sounded unhappy for not being invited? isn't it a gd thing?

(10-12-2021, 11:54 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  why he sounded unhappy for not being invited? isn't it a gd thing?

Tommy lau ah qua not happy that he got no chance to go and show off mah!  Laughing

(10-12-2021, 11:48 AM)cityhantam Wrote:  Taiwan's "glory": 

[Image: Tang-Feng-Taiwan-01.png]

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

唐鳳是選擇性的應付回答該問題。就如他的性傾向,也是選擇性的。這就是民主。

但是這是否能聽信,各自解讀。

問題是在二戰後的協議,這是無法抹滅的事實。

他們這些假台獨的台灣人,被西方污染了他們的思維,還要選擇性的忘了祖宗和同胞的情節。可悲。

更重要的是,他們佔有了大陸的利益,也不敢而且還虛偽地喊自主,更悲哀。

世界會亂,都是這些胡作非為的人搞的。

忘本的人,他們的話是不可信的。
[+] 2 users Like kangtangman's post

Just look at Afghanistan..
10 years under US system, democracy, US appointed President of Afghanistan...
What happened? 

Abandoned, left the locals to be slaughter by enemy, whole country in a mess.
Repatriating own American, dogs striped with plane seat belt for safety.
Leaving the Afghanistan people whom are American democracy supporters, fell from plane to death....

Becareful of what you wishing for, especially the younger Sgrean.
Once your country peace and prosperity is gone.
All of your personal desire and wish will be gone too. 
Hopefully you will not be the next people falling off from US repatriation plane...

Singapore is safe, peaceful and prosperous because of our forefathers efforts in building strong foundation into our nation political system..

Not directly copy from other countries governance. 
Let alone from their crazy human right groups...
[+] 3 users Like moonrab's post

(10-12-2021, 01:18 PM)moonrab Wrote:  Just look at Afghanistan..
What happened? 

Leaving the Afghanistan people whom are American democracy supporters, fell from plane to death....

Hopefully you will not be the next people falling off from US repatriation plane...

Singapore is safe, peaceful and prosperous because of our forefathers efforts in building strong foundation into our nation political system..

Well said. Fuxk off with American style democracy............ Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

Democracy summit can eat or not?? I am hungry..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

What happened? 

Obviously democracy is not for every society especially not workable for those with groups with high animosity towards each other...they may not be ready for democracy ...they need to learn the most basic thing of living together harmoniously first then democracy can work.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(10-12-2021, 07:55 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p...-tommy-koh

You have to define what democracy you talked about.   

US democracy is not the only democracy. Don't call it as THE democracy.  

US has a long history of infringement of human rights and democracy such as race discrimination, slave forced labor of black, genocide of red Indian, sex discrimination of women voting rights. US is not even qualified to be called a democracy.      

Don't cite US as the democracy. 
[+] 1 user Likes webinarian's post

What happened? 

Not 10 years. It's 20 years  under US system!

(10-12-2021, 03:06 PM)webinarian Wrote:  You have to define what democracy you talked about.   

US democracy is not the only democracy. Don't call it as THE democracy.  

US has a long history of infringement of human rights and democracy such as race discrimination, slave forced labor of black, genocide of red Indian, sex discrimination of women voting rights. US is not even qualified to be called a democracy.      

Don't cite US as the democracy. 

All the evil done by American in the past now just allege and slander it upon China without evidence and basis.  

[+] 1 user Likes webinarian's post

[Image: 778-AD1-A1-B522-4560-98-CA-553-BF11-D00-EC.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Fleetdestroyer's post

Many still like to believe that America is the good guy when they are obviously not.

Their democracy are subjected that they continue to do as they pleased, while the rest of the world would have to abide by their rules of engagement.

(10-12-2021, 09:34 AM)Gemstar Wrote:  Tommy Koh hv a point. Many countries hv seen all the scenarios and what is happening in our land to conclude on his views. We hv to face and believed the hard truths which shd not be deniable. One quote is how freedom of speech been viewed as in terms personal opinions.

I support your finding.  The freedom of speech in this country, leaves much to be desired.... Clapping