Took my mom to Polyclinic - ...my reflections on what happened...

Okay this is not a big deal  but got me to reflect on the WP MP  exchange with the minister...over values of our society 

My mom had a stomach ache that went on for a few hrs she said no need but insisted to see doctor yesterday 

The doctor was very nice and diagnosed my mom carefully. After that he prescribed some  medicine and he said it was good if my mom took some probiotics.

When I paid the bill it came to $30 because the probiotics was not subsidised 

It's okay because at this point in time I can easily afford.  But suppose I fell on hard times like business failed,   lost job or had health crisis et I was supposed to request for medical social worker to whom I was supposed to explain all my misfortune then wait for some judgement on whether the medicine can be subsidised. I think even if I was broke I would take my last $30 to pay then figure out how to cope later on....which is stressful but more dignified 

I want to bring attention to values of our society vs other society as reflected by how we care for the sick given we will have many poor elderly patients in coming years .

In 2011, thousands of Israeli doctors protested. What is this protest about? Israeli govt implement co-payment of $5 for public outpatient visits which were previously free. It violated the principle that everyone can get access to healthcare without worrying about being able to afford payment.

You can say they are right or wrong but they have a different set of principles and values reflected in the system they aspire to build. 

[Image: oC4c1co.png]
You may think that suxh a system leads to high govt expenses and high cost for the govt  this is not true Israel has the most cost effective system in the world 

[Image: MIpG0cc.jpg]

What the WP MP said is true. How we care for our sick reflects our values. When we make elderly jump through hoops and loops just to use his own Medisave funds. It is not even close to what others have in place to care for their elderly.

Some people pointed out that we need to spend on defense so cannot have some type of system as Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan. I think these are excuses right because Israel spend even more on defense ...

We have a society where ideas are entrenched and cannot improve.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 4 users Like sgbuffett's post

(16-07-2022, 07:24 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Okay this is not a big deal  but got me to reflect over the WP MP exchange with the minister.

My mom had a stomach ache that went on for a few hrs she said no need but insisted to see doctor yesterday 

The doctor is very nice and diagnose my mom caefully. After that he prescribed some  medicineq and he said it is good if my mom took some probiotics.

It's okay because at this point in time I can easily afford.  But suppose I fell on hard times like business failed,   lost job or had health crisis et I was supposed to request for medical social worker to whom I was supposed to explain all my misfortune then wait for some judgement on whether the medicine can be subsidised. I think even if I was broke I would take my last $30 to pay then figure out how to cope later on....which is stressful but more dignified 

I want to bring attention to value of our society vs other society as refelcted by how we care for the sick and how financing should be given we will have many poor elderly patients in coming years  

In 2011, thousands of Israeli doctors protested. What is this protest about? Israeli govt implement co-payment of $5 for public outpatient visits which were previously free. It violated the principle that everyone can get access to healthcare without worrying about being able to afford payment.

You can say they are right or wrong but they have a different set of principles and values reflected in the system they aspire to build. 

You may think that suxh a system leads to high govt expenses and high cost for the govt  this is not true Israel has the most cost effective system in the world 

Dont waste your time analysing and debating such fundamentals

We look to a govt for security and compassion

If we dun get what we think a govt should be giving, we VTO

You dont negotiate fundamentals and healthcare is a fundamental
[+] 1 user Likes Sentinel's post

u would have save 30
just ask here

US corp dola mati-ed
Singapore follows sotong
just pay lah paynow
pok-ed now beri hiong
lucky u still alive
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

(16-07-2022, 07:43 PM)Talent Wrote:  u would have save 30
just ask here

I am sure can save the $30 but dunno what will happen

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(16-07-2022, 08:05 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I am sure can save the $30 but dunno what will happen

to tell u the truth
doc also dont know

he just prescribe probiotic

if really deep problem
need to further check

the 1st thing we should do is
do the minimum and see it is ok after that

because deep test that doc prescribe only if it is persistent and go on for days or weeks

Seems like it is encouraging the poor who cannot afford to see the doctor again and again. It is not to treat or cure patients but more like a system to drive more future business.

You didn't ask the doctor about the charges for probiotics?

https://www.facebook.com/workersparty/vi...932187815/

[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

ate too much leftover roast duck you bot? or food poisoning?

I see jab after jab
i think all become weak
poison-ed
now become pay and pay
like dat ar?
no chance to escape
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

(16-07-2022, 08:24 PM)cityhantam Wrote:  You didn't ask the doctor about the charges  for  probiotics?

No.

my diabetic Sinkie friend need to pay money to get insulin...............made in India..............

his diabetic M'sian father in law get insulin for free................Swiss-made............
[+] 1 user Likes Napoleon Porlumpar's post

Must have eaten Cheap Spam Meat.

(16-07-2022, 07:24 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  When I paid the bill it came to $30 because the probiotics was not subsidised 

your mother is very lucky to have a filial son like you.

unlike the dishonourable son, you are a role model for all Singaporean children.

[Image: IMG-20220716-214128.jpg]

No free lunch. 羊毛出在羊身上,either they tax u high or u pay. Cannot pay,  request for social help lah. If u think HK is better,  move there lah.

(16-07-2022, 07:37 PM)Sentinel Wrote:  Dont waste your time analysing and debating such fundamentals

We look to a govt for security and compassion

If we dun get what we think a govt should be giving, we VTO

You dont negotiate fundamentals and healthcare is a fundamental

LKY will tell u not to have crutch mentality. Laughing

(16-07-2022, 07:24 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Okay this is not a big deal  but got me to reflect on the WP MP  exchange with the minister...over values of our society 

The doctor was very nice and diagnosed my mom carefully. After that he prescribed some  medicine and he said it was good if my mom took some probiotics.

I want to bring attention to values of our society vs other society as reflected by how we care for the sick given we will have many poor elderly patients in coming years .

What the WP MP said is true. How we care for our sick reflects our values. When we make elderly jump through hoops and loops just to use his own Medisave funds. It is not even close to what others have in place to care for their elderly.

Some people pointed out that we need to spend on defense so cannot have some type of system as Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan. I think these are excuses right because Israel spend even more on defense ...

U want free medical issit??? Got free meh ?? Which country?? Nothing is free ok ..u dumbass 🙂

(16-07-2022, 11:06 PM)EXBB Wrote:  U want free medical issit??? Got free meh ?? Which country?? Nothing is free ok ..u dumbass 🙂

U free tonight?

(16-07-2022, 11:10 PM)Ichigo Wrote:  U free tonight?

Already booked by casanova

(16-07-2022, 07:24 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Some people pointed out that we need to spend on defense so cannot have some type of system as Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan. I think these are excuses right because Israel spend even more on defense ...

Let's get real here. Yes, I was one of those that said because we spent a lot on defence, we have to cut the money somewhere.

When you mentioned Israel, do you know first of all how much Israel is getting from the US each year? This article said the aid was 3.9 billion USD in 2020 -  hxxps://www.bbc.com/news/57170576

Another thing to note is you know how much is the cost of living in Israel? Maybe you don't but I know very well because I've lived and worked there. The cheapest mcdonald set meal when I was there was sgd24, and that was many years ago. Their other things are also very expensive, much more than Singapore. I did a search for the latest and  you can find more info in hxxps://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Tel-Aviv-Yafo

Before you said you want free/low healthcare you've to suggest where you want the get the money from. I'm proposing that we cut the defence budget by at least $1b every year but defence is sacrosanct in this country. Then how? So the govt is raising GST.
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

(16-07-2022, 10:00 PM)teaserteam Wrote:  No free lunch. 羊毛出在羊身上,either they tax u high or u pay. Cannot pay,  request for social help lah. If u think HK is better,  move there lah.

Sorry people will not move out because of this but will try to vote the govt out. I have thought about this issue for a long time give me a bit of time to explain.

There are broadly 3 types of system..
1. 100% shared system. Often these are single payer system. You pay tax and insurance to govt based on your wealth and income level. When you get sick the govt takes care of you 100% you pay almost nothing out of pocket. Taiwan, HK, France, Israel, etc are using this 

2. Every man for himself system. You use your own money or buy private insurance. If you cannot afford too bad. One example is USA where it is common for people to be bankrupted by medical bills. They tried to fix it with Obamacare and mediaid but system is still very bad.

3. Then we have the hybrid system like Singapore. Thee govt pays some using taxes and leave gaps which individuals have to fill. medishield life Has copay limits beyojd which you pay out of pocket, preventive care and dental not covered, if you have an emergence you need to pay $128 for A&E ..if you run into some illness that bust the limits of medishield you need to drain your own savings until nothing then you can get some help. That is why private insurance sells cancer plan, integrated plan riders, critical illness to patch all these gaps.

In the past the Singapore system is not that bad. But as cost of medical care escalates along with the income gap. Many problems emerge. Along the way the govt put some patches ,...CHAS card, Pioneer package, Merdeka package . .all these patches are not be needed if one start off with a single payer system in the first place ...imagine what people were coping with before these patches where in place ..

There is no reason whyba single payer system would not work in Singapore. Singapore was a British colony and UK has a single payer system. ..Canada has runs it's single payer system for more than 80yrs and still going strong. Taiwan has the No.1 healthcare system and when they designed the system from ground up they chose a single payer system.

The Singapore system is more a reflection of the PAP thinking ...in their elitist mind they feel that people should not share. They are okay with high inequality in society because they ultimately are the top winners of the so called meritocracy game. Under their rule ralative poverty keeps rising and the disadvantaged enters a vicious cycle. ...a cycle that is beginning to such in the middle class who start to feel insecure...healthcare being one area of concern.

[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(16-07-2022, 11:37 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Let's get real here. Yes, I was one of those that said because we spent a lot on defence, we have to cut the money somewhere.

When you mentioned Israel, do you know first of all how much Israel is getting from the US each year? This article said the aid was 3.9 billion USD in 2020 -  hxxps://www.bbc.com/news/57170576

Another thing to note is you know how much is the cost of living in Israel? Maybe you don't but I know very well because I've lived and worked there. The cheapest mcdonald set meal when I was there was sgd24, and that was many years ago. Their other things are also very expensive, much more than Singapore. I did a search for the latest and  you can find more info in hxxps://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Tel-Aviv-Yafo

Before you said you want free/low healthcare you've to suggest where you want the get the money from. I'm proposing that we cut the defence budget by at least $1b every year but defence is sacrosanct in this country. Then how? So the govt is raising GST.

Singapore cannot do it while many countries can.
What has the cost of Israeli McDonald's to do with their health care? ...We pay alot for cars too highest in the world ...

Either we have a system that put burden
financial the sick and their family or we take away that financial burden.

To fund such a system where the sick are not burdened we need to learn how others have successfully done it.

Somehow the attitude is it can never be done in Singapore. That is only true if we have no will to do it when others have shown it is possible.

(16-07-2022, 11:54 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Singapore cannot do it while many countries can.
What has the cost of Israeli McDonald's to do with their health care? ...We pay alot for cars too highest in the world ...

I brought up their mcdonald meal cost to highlight that their people are also suffering from high cost of living, more than in Singapore, despite your saying that they have a low cost healthcare system. You cannot just take the good things from another country and compare with Singapore, without mentioning Singapore's strengths.

Pls lah.. you dun have car here you won't die, but we're talking about something fundamental, such as food costs.

You want to have low cost of healthcare you've to get it somewhere. Israel's tax rate is much higher than Singapore.

No point keep increasing the cap on medisave whereby one can only utilised in a small capped manner. And allowed those special cases to be able to utilised their medisave fully in hospitals or private GP, polyclinics.

I was sad when i don't have a pair of new shoes, until i saw someone with no feet...

(17-07-2022, 12:01 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I brought up their mcdonald meal cost to highlight that their people are also suffering from high cost of living, more than in Singapore, despite your saying that they have a low cost healthcare system. You cannot just take the good things from another country and compare with Singapore, without mentioning Singapore's strengths.

Pls lah.. you dun have car here you won't die, but we're talking about something fundamental, such as food costs.

You want to have low cost of healthcare you've to get it somewhere. Israel's tax rate is much higher than Singapore.

I only said the Israel has such a healthcare system. I did not say anything about other aspects of their country. What you say can be true that they overall suffer from highee cost of living but that can be due to many reasons not linked to healthcare.

I did not make any comment about total cost of living in Israel ...I only use them as an example to show they have chosen a different path for healthcare..and the people believe so strongly they are will to protest to preserve it.

You seem to pick up unrelated facts or facts not proven to be related to the topic to make an assertion that has no relevance. All you say does not change the fact they fiannce healthcare in a way different from us .

(16-07-2022, 11:01 PM)winbig Wrote:  LKY will tell u not to have crutch mentality. Laughing

LKY didnt say that when he was Opposítion

Use ur brain if u hv one, LKY is not ur father, or is he?

(17-07-2022, 12:12 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I only said the Israel has such a healthcare system. I did not say anything about other aspects of their country. What you say can be true that they overall suffer from highee cost of living but that can be due to many reasons not linked to healthcare.

I did not make any comment about total cost of living in Israel ...I only use them as an example to show they have chosen a different path for healthcare..and the people believe so strongly they are will to protest to preserve it.

You seem to pick up unrelated facts or facts not proven to be related to the topic to make an assertion that has no relevance. All you say does not change the fact they fiannce healthcare in a way different from us .

Unrelated facts? I'm saying that money has to come from somewhere. They have chosen a way of life that has high cost in almost everything and then you quote their healthcare. Aren't you cherry-picking?

Everything essential has a cost, thats why we need a govt to make them free

If they cant do it, then VTO

This is the way of life, just like air is free yet a govt needs to make it clean, while free

If it cant do even this, then something is wrong and they are just incompetent

VTO