US House passes bill to ban US strategic oil reserve sales to China

12 Jan 2023 | 21:08 UTC

Author Jasmin Melvin
Editor Benjamin Morse
Commodity Oil

Currently, the US Department of Energy is obligated by law to accept the highest bids at SPR auctions, with exceptions to decline to sell crude only made for entities sanctioned by US authorities. As such, nearly 1 million barrels from the SPR were awarded last year to Unipec America, a subsidiary of the Chinese state-owned oil company Sinopec, drawing intense criticism from Republicans.

Republicans have accused the Biden administration of draining the country's strategic oil reserves for political purposes following an unprecedented 180-million-barrel release over several months to combat energy price hikes spurred by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Crude volumes at the SPR stood at 371.58 million barrels the week ended Jan. 6, according to the Energy Information Administration, the lowest level since December 1983.

Efforts to replenish the SPR have yet to pan out.

The politicization of the SPR is expected to remain a central focus of House Republicans

https://www.spglobal.com/commodityinsigh...th-unclear
[+] 2 users Like Levin's post

Ban everything lor!

Let them do what they want. 
Now they are busy with classified documents. 
Trump and biden fighting each other. 
Own house not in order   still want to mind other's business.

Jin Funni leh...this is another e.g. of how not to play politics with basic economy common sense.

What is the point of that US Law when the Chinese already friend friend with Russia and Saudi - the Top 2 oil exporters...and are ready to accept RMB instead of USD for payment ?

Big Grin

[Image: sddefault.jpg]

(13-01-2023, 04:23 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Jin Funni leh...this is another e.g. of how not to play politics with basic economy common sense.

What is the point of that US Law when the Chinese already friend friend with Russia and Saudi - the Top 2 oil exporters...and are ready to accept RMB instead of USD for payment ?

Big Grin

[Image: sddefault.jpg]
That is a danger when Saudi Arabia and Russia agree to trade for oil with China using the Yuan(RMB)............. crying
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

(13-01-2023, 04:32 PM)debono Wrote:  That is a danger when Saudi Arabia and Russia agree to trade for oil with China using the Yuan(RMB)............. crying

What danger? Please clarify

Smile

(13-01-2023, 04:32 PM)debono Wrote:  That is a danger when Saudi Arabia and Russia agree to trade for oil with China using the Yuan(RMB)............. crying

Danger only to USA and its Dollar, what else ? Big Grin

(13-01-2023, 04:35 PM)Niubee Wrote:  What danger? Please clarify

Please forgive debono .. this poster is one of the most ignorant fool in SGtalk... Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like Manthink's post

(13-01-2023, 09:26 AM)cityhantam Wrote:  Ban everything lor!

World's only superpower can self-pawn until it can ban itself from the World's largest oil consumer...LOL!

Shooting itself in the foot by weaponising the USD Laughing

[Image: f48e1dfdd24d0cff3490777b389b7e3a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

(13-01-2023, 05:08 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Please forgive debono .. this poster is one of the most ignorant fool in SGtalk... Big Grin

You can easily found this kind of stupid comment at ST, CNA, Today.... FB section  Laughing

Why would China want to buy oil from USA?

More likely USA will buy Russian oil via 3rd party India and China because of self imposed sanctions on Russia

(13-01-2023, 04:35 PM)Niubee Wrote:  What danger? Please clarify

The danger is that the world may not use USD for trading oil........as it is in the past.......... crying

(13-01-2023, 05:08 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Please forgive debono .. this poster is one of the most ignorant fool in SGtalk... Big Grin

Just because I am anti-CCP I get such remarks.......... Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

(13-01-2023, 05:49 PM)debono Wrote:  The danger is that the world may not use USD for trading oil........as it is in the past.......... crying

So be it. I don't see danger. I see opportunity

Smile

(13-01-2023, 05:58 PM)debono Wrote:  Just because I am anti-CCP I get such remarks.......... Laughing

U finally admit your heart intent Laughing
Got u

Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Niubee's post

Wayang lah!

(13-01-2023, 05:40 PM)Odessy Wrote:  Why would China want to buy oil from USA?

More likely USA will buy Russian oil via 3rd party India and China because of self imposed sanctions on Russia

US strategic oil reserve is already depleting and enough for only 18.5 days of import-free usage (vs the initial 30 days).

But to reciprocate, China should also ban the export of its strategic rare earth elements.

After Depleting Oil Reserve, Biden’s Energy Department Refuses to Fill It Back Up
https://sputniknews.com/20230107/after-d...07621.html
[+] 1 user Likes sgxin's post

(13-01-2023, 05:13 PM)Manthink Wrote:  World's only superpower can self-pawn until it can ban itself from the World's largest oil consumer...LOL!

Shooting itself in the foot by weaponising the USD Laughing

[Image: f48e1dfdd24d0cff3490777b389b7e3a.jpg]
Assmericunts gia lan kah tao........hosay liao Clapping

(13-01-2023, 06:02 PM)Niubee Wrote:  U finally admit your heart intent  Laughing
Got u

Now I know who the pro-CCP are............. Laughing

very political tock k rule.
as if there any difference between the types of oil.
buy want oil who cares where it is from

That’s waicist against Communism!!!

(13-01-2023, 05:58 PM)debono Wrote:  Just because I am anti-CCP I get such remarks.......... Laughing

Your self admission is ironic.

Notice how US gov own "anti-CCP" attitude is similar to an ignorant fool with another self-ban law ? [Image: biggrin.png]