WP voted against PAP motion on foreign manpower and local jobs

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...on-2178021

Mr Wong’s motion, filed after Mr Leong’s, stated that the House:
(a) acknowledges Singaporeans’ anxieties about jobs and competition in a globalised and fast-changing economy;
(b) affirms Singapore’s need to stay open and connected to the world in order to grow and prosper;
© supports Government actions to manage the population of foreign manpower, ensure fair treatment by employers, and invest in education and upskilling, to create more good jobs for Singaporeans;
(d) calls on the Government to continue to update and improve its policies to secure the well-being and livelihoods of Singaporeans in an uncertain post-pandemic world; and
(e) deplores attempts to spread misinformation about free trade agreements like the Singapore-India Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA), stir up racism and xenophobia, and cause fear and anxiety amongst Singaporeans.

The Workers’ Party (WP) MPs voted against both motions after their suggested amendments to the motions were turned down by the House.

The final votes were taken at about 12.30am on Wednesday, more than 10 hours after the debate began at 1.45pm on Tuesday.

Finance Minister Lawrence Wong

He criticised the PSP’s arguments as “simplistic and wishful thinking”, and reiterated that squeezing out foreigners would not lead to jobs automatically going to Singaporeans.

“I think all of these arguments miss out on the most important point, and that’s the stark reality that Singaporeans are great in the workforce but there are just not enough of us,” he said.

Mr Wong also cautioned that many firms will not set up shop in Singapore if there are manpower policies that restrict them from hiring international talent, resulting in worse outcomes for Singaporean workers. 

On PSP’s point that there are many underemployed mid-career Singaporeans, Mr Wong said that the Government is trying its best to retrain mid-career workers, but this “does not happen overnight”.

Acknowledging that an open economy has downsides with not everyone benefitting, Mr Wong said: “Some have been knocked down by the winds of change, and it’s not simply a matter of bouncing back on your feet again, especially when you’re older.

To PSP’s protests that they have not been  racist or xenophobic, he said: “If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

“Whatever Mr Leong or (fellow PSP NCMP) Ms Hazel Poa may say, the fact is that this is how people see and perceive the PSP campaign.”
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

If they had voted in support for mickey the party will be finished

Apparently LW never hear of robotic duck..

It will looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but is it a duck?

BTW, I don't think it is appropriate for him to use such quote in parliament.

Will you use such a quote in a formal business meeting? Most likely no.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

More reason the vote for opposition  Gesti-109

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Tangsen's post

Let break down the underlying meaning of the motion. I am happy that WP did not fall for the trap

Mr Wong’s motion, filed after Mr Leong’s, stated that the House:
(a) acknowledges Singaporeans’ anxieties about jobs and competition in a globalised and fast-changing economy;

The first statement absolves the govt of any blame and policy error and pushes blame to outside world. The PAP is saying these problems are caused by globalisation and not policy. This is not true.

(b) affirms Singapore’s need to stay open and connected to the world in order to grow and prosper;

This is a vague statement. We are not a  hermit kingdom. Degree of opening matters. Does "stay open" means blank cheque to import people?...

© supports Government actions to manage the population of foreign manpower, ensure fair treatment by employers, and invest in education and upskilling, to create more good jobs for Singaporeans;

He is asking people to support the status quo despite the problems faced. We have skills upgrading for last 20yrs ...did it solve the problems?

I prefer this to be "The government shall adopt best and proven practices from other advanced countries to minimise the impact of foreign labor and put Singaporeans' interests as a priority"

(d) calls on the Government to continue to update and improve its policies to secure the well-being and livelihoods of Singaporeans in an uncertain post-pandemic world; and

Govt need to remove many bad policies not just improve them.

(e) deplores attempts to spread misinformation about free trade agreements like the Singapore-India Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA), stir up racism and xenophobia, and cause fear and anxiety amongst Singaporeans.

This is an accusation against Singaporeans. It accuse Singaporeans of spreading misinformation and racist. It is despicable they do this to win an argument.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

LW doesnt know AI wave is coming? Thinking
Why still need mass import?
他在说什么"鬼话"?
Most of the jobs will be replaced by AI robots.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Millions of Americans Have Lost Jobs in the Pandemic—And Robots and AI Are Replacing Them Faster Than Ever

https://time.com/5876604/machines-jobs-c.../?amp=true

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

In his closing remarks, Mr Wong said that Singapore will see more disruptions and volatility in the global economy, with new jobs created and many jobs being transformed or becoming obsolete.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The same stewpig comments where PAP blame Globalization like in GE2015.

1. New jobs are being created and MOE can tackle this to be done by our fresh grads. Give them a chance instead of importing FTs.

2. Jobs will change but not fast like how you issue Employment Pass within 1 mth.  Tech jobs will change but not transform, get your facts right. 

3. Jobs will become obsolete ie Switch board operators, tailors, data entry clerks, garang gunis . . .  . But why make those unaffected jobless for no reason?

Stop making us scapegoats for your incompetencies all the time.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

Want to vote for oppositions, vote for PSP n not tgis party , akready penetraded by takeban wannables via trojen horses..

Those who supported tgese poyentially terrorists sabotaging us r so stupiid n shallow minded..esp the gays n LPGT...once in power, they r going to chop off yr heads or for having mistress or boyfriends, all will stoned to death...other things cannot except hard cash all already touched by infidels

Quote:To PSP’s protests that they have not been  racist or xenophobic, he said: “If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

Bapok looks a gal, walks and talks like one. Is he a gal or a guy?

Quote:He criticised the PSP’s arguments as “simplistic and wishful thinking”, and reiterated that squeezing out foreigners would not lead to jobs automatically going to Singaporeans.

PSP didn't even say dunwan foreigners. Why keep distorting their words?
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

(15-09-2021, 05:43 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  PSP didn't even say dunwan foreigners. Why keep distorting their words?
Is so obvious. MIWs are only good in flip flop and doing roti prata. They already lost in this debate and that is why they are confused by doing twists and turns.
[+] 1 user Likes Gemstar's post

(15-09-2021, 05:46 PM)Gemstar Wrote:  Is so obvious. MIWs are only good in flip flop and doing roti prata. They already lost in this debate and that is why they are confused by doing twists and turns.

I am confused as to why they can be confused Laughing

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(15-09-2021, 05:50 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  I am confused as to why they can be confused Laughing
Simple facts to this debate. These MIWs lost in the debate and that is why they are confused having nothing else to support their points.

PSP: I agree that fruits are beneficial in general but I cannot eat durian.

PAP: If you don't eat durian you're against all fruits.

PSP:  Eye-rolling

(15-09-2021, 06:15 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  PSP: I agree that fruits are beneficial in general but I cannot eat durian.

PAP: If you don't eat durian you're against all fruits.

PSP:  Eye-rolling

Actually it is not true, not all fruits are beneficial.
Dont eat the wrong parts and make sure you know your body condition.

(15-09-2021, 06:33 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Actually it is not true, not all fruits are beneficial.
Dont eat the wrong parts and make sure you know your body condition.

PAP logic : You like durians. Then you must also like to eat the shell of the durian. Otherwise you contradict yourself and what you say is not valid.

PAP : Do you like a durian? Just give me a yes no answer.

PSP : Depends on type of durian.

PAP : plse give a yes or no answer. It's a simple question why can't you answer it 

PSP: In general we like durians.

PAP : Let's I record to that you like durian.

PAP : Kampung durian is a durian. Do you agree? Plse answer yes no.

PSP : That  durian have big seed and is tasteless.

PAP : just answer yes or no.

PSP : okay yes.

PAP: You said you like durian and Kampung durian is a durian. So you like Kampung durian.

PSP : No we have to look at each durian on a case by case basis.

PAP : Earlier to said you like durian now you say you don't like Kampung durian which is a durian. That is contradictory...

That's blardy why the debate took 10hrs.

Just give us all the data and open the book okay. Citizens are just fed up with the leadership shananigans .....

The whole debate was dragged on by the pap twisting logic. Disregarding the reality faced by Singaporeans and slinging  false accusations that PSP and LMW are racists.

It is a disgusting display of arrogance....and Vivian's hot mic says it all. They are treating voters as fools.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Poor Vivian. The cut and thrust of the above debate now totally overshadowed by his loose lips Laughing

Now whole of sg know that the erstwhile whiter than white politicians among themselves do not believe that every school is a good school. Some or most are lousy skools Laughing

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(16-09-2021, 06:54 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  PAP logic : You like durians. Then you must also like to eat the shell of the durian. Otherwise you contradict yourself and what you say is not valid.

The whole debate was dragged on by the pap twisting logic. Disregarding the reality faced by Singaporeans and slinging  false accusations that PSP and LMW are racists.

It is a disgusting display of arrogance....and Vivian's hot mic says it all. They are treating voters as fools.

This is why Sg is roting, dont focus and pin point the cause of the problem? Keep using twisted logic for their reasoning.

(16-09-2021, 07:05 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Poor Vivian.  The cut and thrust of the above debate now totally overshadowed by his loose lips Laughing

Now whole of sg know that the erstwhile whiter than white politicians among themselves do not believe that every school is a good school.  Some or most are lousy skools Laughing

Who is the happiest Piss And Poo right now? This guy ..... hey har .... lim peh got someone come take some heat off me 

[Image: chan-chun-sing-singaporean-politician.gif]

(16-09-2021, 09:27 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Who is the happiest Piss And Poo right now? This guy ..... hey har .... lim peh got someone come take some heat off me 

[Image: chan-chun-sing-singaporean-politician.gif]

CCS is crass and may be prone to verbal gaffes but I don’t think he is that elitist or hypocritical Big Grin

(16-09-2021, 10:24 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  CCS is crass and may be prone to verbal gaffes but I don’t think he is that elitist or hypocritical Big Grin

Because he is Xai Xuay

(15-09-2021, 04:11 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  LW doesnt know AI wave is coming? Thinking
Why still need mass import?
他在说什么"鬼话"?
Most of the jobs will be replaced by AI robots.
Don't like that lah. They just appointed "another one" who don't know Sg Reserve is how much de. Is like a company hire a CFO that do not know who much money the company have to run opex capex. How do you expect him to know about this leh?

Just another Singaporean fighting those CCP idealogists who dun dare to be back in China or are fake Singaporean