We have to stop the toxic trend of "buy now pay later" from Singapore

There are companies trying to addict our young to debt by pushing consumerism  to the extreme. It is called the "buy now pay later schemes".

We know it has devastating effects in other countries yet the MAS and govt  doing nothing.

[Image: rjRVZKp.jpg]

We should not allow something because it is a trend.
Companies will exploit this ability to extend credit and cause harm to our society.

This is hire purchase on steroids as it just need kne click of a button

[Image: HefSYbK.jpg]

[Image: f0IxDtt.jpg]

Learn from the mistake of others. We once face the problem of ballonjng credit card debt which led to awkward implementation of debt monitoring like TDSR to bail out credit card industry from the problem they caused. Now we are allowing something that with high certainty to cause a big problem downstream.

It js poor governance if nothing is done.

[Image: D3soj1M.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(25-08-2022, 08:47 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  There are companies trying to addict our young to debt by pushing consumerism  to the extreme. It is called the "buy now pay later schemes".

We know it has devastating effects in other countries yet the MAS and govt  doing nothing.

Companies will exploit this ability to extend credit and cause harm to our society.

Learn from the mistake of others. We once face the problem of ballonjng credit card debt which led to awkward implementation of debt monitoring like TDSR to bail out credit card industry from the problem they caused. Now we are allowing something that with high certainty to cause a big problem downstream.

Did the companies break any law?

(25-08-2022, 08:48 AM)winbig Wrote:  Did the companies break any law?

Regulation can be introduced to stop the companies

If a new poison is invented there is no existing law against it.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(25-08-2022, 08:59 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Regulation can be introduced to stop the companies

It's the same as interest free installment. It's just being packaged in a different way.

Buy now pay later pose a risk to financial system due to its ability to spread using addictive algorithms and software.

(25-08-2022, 09:14 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Buy now pay later pose a risk to financial system due to its ability to spread using addictive algorithms and software.

Sgbuffet, pls go lobby to regulate buy now pay later.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

(25-08-2022, 08:59 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Regulation can be introduced to stop the companies

Agreed, if not we end up like the failed country Disunited Shite of Assmerica. Living on credit cards

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

Just do it. 
Nobody can help you but yourself.

Just some old fashioned a la hire purchase scheme with added twist to it. all those schemes/ideas out from the silicone valley we totally embraced as bright ideas. with softbank's masa son using its big money power to buy this that giving super $B valuations, bnpl is a matter of bankrupting ownself enriching entreprenuers' pockets.

(25-08-2022, 08:47 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  There are companies trying to addict our young to debt by pushing consumerism  to the extreme. It is called the "buy now pay later schemes".

If someone wants to commit suicide, can you stop them? Thinking 
How many can you stop?

Let them have a taste to become a bankruptcy then they will learn the lesson.
不进棺材不掉泪。

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

https://pkwalaw.com/declaring-bankruptcy-singapore/

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Take note of this credit scoring.

[Image: D9294587-4824-46-B0-A2-B1-790-BAD7-B3129.png]

Housing, cars, etc also buy now pay later.

Shall we stop that also?

so housing loan, reno loan, car loan, student loan, ... all are toxic and shd be banned?

(25-08-2022, 11:41 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  If someone wants to commit suicide, can you stop them? Thinking 
How many can you stop?

Let them have a taste to become a bankruptcy then they will learn the lesson.
不进棺材不掉泪。

If someone wants to take drugs or steroids do we allow it to be  easily accessible?

It's a poison and you still want to take it? 
You die your business.