Marcos: Philippines to invoke MDT with the US if Pinoy killed in West Philippine Sea

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines may invoke the 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty (MDT) with the US if a sailor or a member of its military is killed in an attack in the West Philippine Sea, President Marcos said yesterday.

“As long as they have actually caused casualties, and it has killed the serviceman... whatever their designation are, whether they’re merchant marine or Coast Guard or actual...navy vessels, it does not matter,” he added.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2024/...ippine-sea

Phillipines need help....I don't think they have a choice their navy js too weak they never invest in good ships and defenses...they also have thousands of islands to secure.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(16-04-2024, 09:48 AM)theold Wrote:  MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines may invoke the 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty (MDT) with the US if a sailor or a member of its military is killed in an attack in the West Philippine Sea, President Marcos said yesterday.

“As long as they have actually caused casualties, and it has killed the serviceman... whatever their designation are, whether they’re merchant marine or Coast Guard or actual...navy vessels, it does not matter,” he added.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2024/...ippine-sea

Not gonna happen. The US is now doing everything it can to avoid a direct conflict with China, Philippines is a nobody in the grand scheme of things and US will not be dragged into a war it cannot afford to that easily.

Treaties are nothing in the grand scheme of things, we've already seen that when some Russian missiles landed in Poland and killed a few civilians. NATO pretty much just declared this was an "accident" and everyone just moved on. Ditto the US-Japan defence treaty: after telling everyone Senkaku Islands is part of Japan under the treaty, the Japanese were then left alone after the Diaoyu / Senkaku administrative rights were seized by China.

If the Philippines really tries to invoke MDT, the US will start off gently by telling the Pinoys to drop it and move on just as they did previously with Poland and Japan. If the Pinoys dare to disobey, the entire American apparatus from government to media will find some lawyerlike way to explain why this is all a misunderstanding / small incident that does not constitute an attack / Pinoy's fault.

Therefore under the terms of the MDT, US need not respond beyond rhetoric and exercises photo ops. If it really comes to this it would naturally be a disaster for the US and cause irreversible reputational damage, so if Philippines really dares to do it, they will be punished with utmost severity by the Biden administration.

(16-04-2024, 09:53 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Phillipines need help....I don't think they have a choice their navy js too weak they never invest in good ships and defenses...they also have thousands of islands to secure.

What he needs help? Fxxking hell. 

Marcos is the one provoking for fight thinking he can invoke the treaty to get a ponoy killed and therefore US to be involved in fight. 

Evil. 

(16-04-2024, 09:53 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Phillipines need help....I don't think they have a choice their navy js too weak they never invest in good ships and defenses...they also have thousands of islands to secure.

Marcos has no choice? 

Former president already arranged with China to share in the oil revenue. Isn't it fair that Philippines can have share of revenue without even working in the oil exploration? 

China has been advocating for mutual benefits. When US was ruling Philippines, did US ever share for selling Philippines? 

He's blardy naive. He thinks the Americans will die for him?

Ignore List: Oyk

Last time in 1974 conflict South Vietnam also think that way but actually not.....it lost a frigate and injuried two vessels in the fight....

(16-04-2024, 12:36 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  He's blardy naive. He thinks the Americans will die for him?

Marcos Jr is an Assmerican dog, barking hard for a tiny piece of bone from the master!  Rotfl

The US will happily abandon the Philippines if Marcos Jr is moronic to start a battle with China.

Only sgbutt will believe that the US will come and help militarily LOL.