What happens if my Singtel fibre broadband modem spoil ??

bros................another dumb question from me............

i've been on Singtel fibre broadband plan for ages..............what happens if the modem spoilt ?...........will they give or sell me a new one ?
what if i were to sign a new contract - will they give me a new modem ?
or can buy modem from sim Lim Square or elsewhere ?
never had a modem died on me before though.................just recently thought about it...............

dumb Q

(02-05-2022, 05:39 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  bros................another dumb question from me............

i've been on Singtel fibre broadband plan for ages..............what happens if the modem spoilt ?...........will they give or sell me a new one ?
never had a modem died on me before though.................just recently thought about it...............

Nowadays, internet no need modem

Just a pair of fork and spoon and a bowl of water

Sometimes all it takes is some search online. This is from singtel:

Quote:Singtel will provide warranty support for Singtel branded wireless equipment that is issued as part of the subscribed plan for the duration of the signed Minimum Subscription Period. If you choose to recontract after the Minimum Subscription Period, the warranty period will be extended accordingly. In the absence of an ongoing contractual minimum subscription period, you will be responsible for the cost of replacing defective Singtel branded wireless equipment.

https://www.singtel.com/content/dam/sing...e-TnCs.pdf

(02-05-2022, 05:39 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  bros................another dumb question from me............

good Q mate.
Should call up singtel and see whether can replace a new one or not.

(02-05-2022, 05:47 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Sometimes all it takes is some search online. This is from singtel:

https://www.singtel.com/content/dam/sing...e-TnCs.pdf

many thanks , bro................those FARKERS wanna make people subscribe to ever more expensive plans lah...................i bet they don't give new modems too...........just provide warranty on existing modems.......

if need to buy a new one, can buy from Sim Lim ?...............any idea how much it'll cost ?

OR...............should i wait for modem to spoil then call Singtel for new contract to get FREE new modem ?

i no no for me i just hunt for another where i can connect that fibre optic adapter into with 4 0r 5 ethernet ports and i good to go
as i do not like to be DEW-ed i try to hard-wire to reduce radiation
5G radiation no escape as she can come from the ground via sewer pipes
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

(02-05-2022, 10:45 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  many thanks , bro................those FARKERS wanna make people subscribe to ever more expensive plans lah...................i bet they don't give new modems too...........just provide warranty on existing modems.......

if need to buy a new one, can buy from Sim Lim ?...............any idea how much it'll cost ?

OR...............should i wait for modem to spoil then call Singtel for new contract to get FREE new modem ?

Nowadays free is usually for higher subscription. If yours is the old 500mph, just buy the router will do.

Try to hard reset your router first…
If still can’t work then buy a new router to replace it.

Now no more give free modem for Singtel and StarHub , got to pay for wifi 6 router modem monthly even if you subscribe the new lines…
Now telcos become very cheapo…

May be you can try viewQuest, got free modem, if I am not wrong.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(02-05-2022, 10:45 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  many thanks , bro................those FARKERS wanna make people subscribe to ever more expensive plans lah...................i bet they don't give new modems too...........just provide warranty on existing modems.......

I don't like those routers provided by telcos so usually I'll buy myself outside. I haven't bought one for a number of years so I wouldn't know where's the best place to buy. If you're not in need of one, you can wait for black friday and buy from amazon or one of the online sites. If urgent of course go to sim lim liao.

This type of modem or router does it need to insert a SIM card to work from the telco operator ?

Guys, do you switch off your routers before going to bed or leave it 24 by 7 on?

(03-05-2022, 08:24 AM)Hfourhappy Wrote:  Guys, do you switch off your routers before going to bed or leave it 24 by 7 on?

Leave it on… Big Grin
The power consumption is not high.
Normally less than 20w/hr.

If I base on Max 20w, 20wx24hrs x 20cents/kWh =0.48kwx20cents. Less than 10cents a day.

You want to save electricity, can save on other area.
Replace all the bulbs to LED bulbs.
Don’t use Airpot, use electric flask.
Aircon set at 25 deg C etc.

Don’t use vacuum cleaner.
Use broom… Can exercise and save electricity.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

They not only replace but to ask whether you want to upgrade to higher bandwidth also..
[+] 1 user Likes FangFang's post

If you fulfill the minimum subscription period, rightfully it should be a free replacement. Ideally, the modem and router in one set will be the best. But it is not the case here.

We always have one modem and one router. For modem, even with restrictions on the port, there is always one port allowed for you to link to the router for the internet.

Don't like the router provided by the service provider.

Long ago, there are inbuilt restrictions by the service providers. They will like to say, it is original from the manufacturer and there is no change. You can change and change, they are the same. You buy the same model from Sim Lim, it is different and flexible. Unlocked model.

(03-05-2022, 08:59 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Leave it on… Big Grin
The power consumption is not high.
Normally less than 20w/hr.

If I base on Max 20w, 20wx24hrs x 20cents/kWh =0.48kwx20cents. Less than 10cents a day.

You want to save electricity, can save on other area.
Replace all the bulbs to LED bulbs.
Don’t use Airpot, use electric flask.
Aircon set at 25 deg C etc.

Don’t use vacuum cleaner.
Use broom… Can exercise and save electricity.

Oic, most of my friends n colleagues leave it on 24 7.
I switch off when go to bed.
Do far, touch wood, still working well for many years.

Just call singtel and check whether can replace foc of not.

(03-05-2022, 09:21 AM)Hfourhappy Wrote:  Just call singtel and check whether can replace foc of not.

u need a modem for free charges on  digital residential  phone.
[+] 1 user Likes talky's post

first of all, is it the modem or router that breaks down? or both?

if router, as suggested by some it's better to get yr own. can online hw $30+ to $50+ with free delivery

Yours very  old plan?
You don't have WiFi at home?

(03-05-2022, 04:27 PM)talky Wrote:  u need a modem for free charges on  digital residential  phone.

mate, my home data dont have residential phone..hahaha, i cancel it and only pay for home data.
no body using residential phone anymore.
All my children have their own mobile.
Just to save up this unnecessary cost.

(03-05-2022, 04:39 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  first of all, is it the modem or router that breaks down? or both?

if router, as suggested by some it's better to get yr own. can online hw $30+ to $50+ with free delivery

i also blur...usually it comes with Router and Modem from singtel right?
the blinking green and red colour is the modem while another block box is Router? Blush

I dunno about Singtel but for M1 if I remember correctly the modem is supplied and installed by a different company. The M1 only supplied the router and at every renewal of contract, they  gave a new router. My last contract renewal was done online so I dun get a new router.
As for the modem, if spoil M1 will get the company that installed the modem to handle. So far, I haven't change modem yet, so I not sure of the exact process...... Confused

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(03-05-2022, 05:11 PM)Huliwang Wrote:  I dunno about Singtel but for M1 if I remember correctly the modem is supplied and installed by a different company. The M1 only supplied the router and at every renewal of contract, they  gave a new router. My last contract renewal was done online so I dun get a new router.
As for the modem, if spoil M1 will get the company that installed the modem to handle. So far, I haven't change modem yet, so I not sure of the exact process...... Confused

i am using singtel, maybe same as what you said...
but if supposing spoilt, just call their hotline and they will check the connection first whether any issue with the modem / router.

Think Singtel old plan no router just modem.
With WiFi plan then got router.
[+] 1 user Likes hansamu's post

(03-05-2022, 05:13 PM)Hfourhappy Wrote:  i am using singtel, maybe same as what you said...
but if supposing spoilt, just call their hotline and they will check the connection first whether any issue with the modem / router.

That's right. The modem belongs to another operator who laid and owned the fiber network, I think called Gateway or something...... Confused

Carl Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Huliwang's post

(03-05-2022, 05:17 PM)Huliwang Wrote:  That's right. The modem belongs to another operator who laid and owned the fiber network, I think called Gateway or something...... Confused

the fibre is laid by (I forgot the name) into our living room.
I forgot how I subscribe the singtel, they gave me 3 boxes, 1 modem, 1 router and 1 mio box.
I cancel the mio, i cancel the residential number, only pay for home data cos whole family using wifi.

But hor, lately , as you aware, many telco offer super big data gb at a very cheap price.
60gb, 100gb less than $20. 
And in fact, can even dont use wifi going forward.

(03-05-2022, 05:20 PM)Hfourhappy Wrote:  the fibre is laid by (I forgot the name) into our living room.
I forgot how I subscribe the singtel, they gave me 3 boxes, 1 modem, 1 router and 1 mio box.
I cancel the mio, i cancel the residential number, only pay for home data cos whole family using wifi.

But hor, lately , as you aware, many telco offer super big data gb at a very cheap price.
60gb, 100gb less than $20. 
And in fact, can even dont use wifi going forward.

I think lately there was a change of arrangement by the three telco companies with the company that laid the fiber network. So there could be a change in the procedure too which I am not following. I am the type who will only check with the telcos to find out when things break down...... Big Grin

Carl Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Huliwang's post

(02-05-2022, 05:43 PM)Talent Wrote:  dumb Q

dont be like that lah.
any questions are not a dumb questions.
we dont know, we ask.
rather than we dont know, we act we know.
we learn as we move...

(03-05-2022, 05:25 PM)Huliwang Wrote:  I think lately there was a change of arrangement by the three telco companies with the company that laid the fiber network. So there could be a change in the procedure too which I am not following. I am the type who will only check with the telcos to find out when things break down...... Big Grin

noted...ok i will create another thread about Mobile data plan...
lets share ya..