What happens if my Singtel fibre broadband modem spoil ??

(03-05-2022, 05:20 PM)Hfourhappy Wrote:  the fibre is laid by (I forgot the name) into our living room.
I forgot how I subscribe the singtel, they gave me 3 boxes, 1 modem, 1 router and 1 mio box.
I cancel the mio, i cancel the residential number, only pay for home data cos whole family using wifi.

But hor, lately , as you aware, many telco offer super big data gb at a very cheap price.
60gb, 100gb less than $20. 
And in fact, can even dont use wifi going forward.

I also using SingNet, even pay for the email. aka using singnet.com.sg

Yea Ont and Modem always on partly I still using home tel line which connect to the modem.

In fact two thing which provided by SingNet when I first go into fibre from ADSL.

the ONT and the modem both got SingNet wordings as usual.

I only switch off and on again come weekend to " clear coach "

Last time this Singnet tech come my house install the modem , check the signal tell me the default Singtel give one not say good thus once a while need to off and on again to " clear the coach inside the modem "

he told me expensive modem of course no need to do this everytime.

I Also curious how Singtel will offer when modem down? replace new one but must sign new plan?

(03-05-2022, 05:37 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  I also using SingNet, even pay for the email. aka using singnet.com.sg

Yea Ont and Modem always on partly I still using home tel line which connect to the modem.

In fact two thing which provided by SingNet when I first go into fibre from ADSL.

Last time this Singnet tech come my house install the modem , check the signal tell me the default Singtel give one not say good thus once a while need to off and on again to " clear the coach inside the modem "

I Also curious how Singtel will offer when modem down? replace new one but must sign new plan?

Think mine same type like yours.
I have never off it so far.

Sometimes concerned that after off, the system stops working...it happened. 

After you off to clear, how long does it take for the system to start working again???

(03-05-2022, 05:37 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  I also using SingNet, even pay for the email. aka using singnet.com.sg

how much your monthly fees?
mine is $29.

(03-05-2022, 05:45 PM)hansamu Wrote:  Think mine same type like yours.
I have never off it so far.

Sometimes concerned that after off, the system stops working...it happened. 

After you off to clear, how long does it take for the system to start working again???

take few mins less than 5mins or even less like that.

(03-05-2022, 05:45 PM)Hfourhappy Wrote:  how much your monthly fees?
mine is $29.

38.80 i think, of course Include GST
partly I pay the email like 5 or 10 dollars

Next year zzzz will be 43 ? since GST increase next year
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

the free router not that good. I sold it for 70, and bought a hw 50 with free delivery. so far so good.
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink?'s post

(03-05-2022, 05:48 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  38.80 i think, of course Include GST
partly I pay the email like 5 or 10 dollars

Next year zzzz will be 43 ? since GST increase next year

Why must pay for email?
Mine got email too...29.90

(03-05-2022, 05:55 PM)hansamu Wrote:  Why must pay for email?
Mine got email too...29.90

are you sure you never pay for singnet.com.sg this email? Need to pay
Last time Yes is free but later SingNet charge partly due to mainteance for it so now Need to Pay for the email IF you want to use.

as people go use GMAIL

(03-05-2022, 06:05 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  are you sure you never pay for singnet.com.sg this email? Need to pay
Last time Yes is free but later SingNet charge partly due to mainteance for it so now Need to Pay for the email IF you want to use.

as people go use GMAIL

Why dun you unsubscribe the email and get a discount? I think even if the telco give me an email, I will still stick with gmail or hotmail because if I use the telco email and next time if I terminate my contract with them I will have a problem informing all my friends and contacts of my new email....... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(03-05-2022, 06:12 PM)Huliwang Wrote:  Why dun you unsubscribe the email and get a discount? I think even if the telco give me an email, I will still stick with gmail or hotmail because if I use the telco email and next time if I terminate my contract with them I will have a problem informing all my friends and contacts of my new email....... Rolleyes

partly the email I use at alot contract, business etc so is really hard to change lastly every ISP is the same in SG end of the day
I don't know why people can change here and there is quite troublesome to be honest also come mobile.

(03-05-2022, 06:19 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  partly the email I use at alot contract, business etc so is really hard to change lastly every ISP is the same in SG end of the day
I don't know why people can change here and there is quite troublesome to be honest also come mobile.

If you intend to stick with Singtel until death do us part, then ok lah. As for me I dun like to get hold by someone, if service no good I change the telco...... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

Modem you can’t buy and install yourself la… so must call SingTel they will replace new set for you FOC de … only wireless router you can buy and installed yourself  Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes cwc29's post

(03-05-2022, 05:54 AM)ysh02 Wrote:  This type of modem or router does it need to insert a SIM card to work from the telco operator ?

Anybody's can highlight ?

Modem not easy spoil de … so one must checked either your modem or router that give you trouble before calling your vendor  Big Grin

(03-05-2022, 06:26 PM)ysh02 Wrote:  Anybody's can highlight ?

Modem la Bro you think Old SCV tV box meh ?!!!

(02-05-2022, 05:39 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  bros................another dumb question from me............

i've been on Singtel fibre broadband plan for ages..............what happens if the modem spoilt ?...........will they give or sell me a new one ?
what if i were to sign a new contract - will they give me a new modem ?
or can buy modem from sim Lim Square or elsewhere ?
never had a modem died on me before though.................just recently thought about it...............

For your case obviously is your router spoil .. go buy new set .. “challenges” not bad got many many Brand’s to choose  Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes cwc29's post

Old router can send in to recycle bin located at CC  Big Grin

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin

(03-05-2022, 08:24 AM)Hfourhappy Wrote:  Guys, do you switch off your routers before going to bed or leave it 24 by 7 on?

Switched off... everywan koon liao who's still using  Big Grin

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin

Actually do you know which device is faulty? The ONT modem or the router?

(03-05-2022, 06:46 PM)Galilo_l Wrote:  Switched off... everywan koon liao who's still using  Big Grin

Not for me..24/7 on
[+] 1 user Likes hansamu's post

If you need a replacement for your faulty Singtel equipment, such as Optical Network Terminal (ONT), Optical Network Router (ONR), Router, Set-Top Box (STB), or Singtel TV Remote Control, visit any of the following Self-Replacement Centres for an exchange:
[+] 1 user Likes Ernesto's post

(03-05-2022, 05:54 AM)ysh02 Wrote:  This type of modem or router does it need to insert a SIM card to work from the telco operator ?

unlike those wall-fixed routers used at home, the mobile router come with sim card slot for use outdoor so that your laptop has wifi access

another way is to use yr phone as a mobile router by turning it into a wifi hot spot.

Don’t keep Turning ON and OFF your router too frequently. It may damage the power unit inside the router due to high current flow during initial power up.

Router uses minimal power.
If router spoilt due to power unit failure, it is silly to get a replacement router, Time and $$$ wasted…

I would recommend if you die die want to switch it off. May be switched it off once a week.

For me. I have never switched off my router. None of my current and old routers has ever spoilt before. It may be a very painful experience you can’t surf net at home due to router spoilt.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

(03-05-2022, 09:09 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Don’t keep Turning ON and OFF your router too frequently. It may damage the power unit inside the router due to high current flow during initial power up.

Router uses minimal power.
If router spoilt due to power unit failure, it is silly to get a replacement router, Time and $$$ wasted…

I would recommend if you die die want to switch it off. May be switched it off once a week.

For me. I have never switched off my router. None of my current and old routers has ever spoilt before.

But using default one need to turn off at least once a week

(03-05-2022, 01:17 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I don't like those routers provided by telcos so usually I'll buy myself outside. I haven't bought one for a number of years so I wouldn't know where's the best place to buy. If you're not in need of one, you can wait for black friday and buy from amazon or one of the online sites. If urgent of course go to sim lim liao.
It is best to get it from Challenger.  They are more and reliable and trusted source.

(03-05-2022, 09:15 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  But using default one need to turn off at least once a week

I have never turned it off since day 1.
Until now  still ok, touch wood firmly. 

Was also  told not necessary to off to save electricity as usage very low. 
Not sure how much we can save if off it when not using.

(03-05-2022, 11:39 PM)hansamu Wrote:  I have never turned it off since day 1.
Until now  still ok, touch wood firmly. 

Was also  told not necessary to off to save electricity as usage very low. 
Not sure how much we can save if off it when not using.

Is not turn off complete, i mean is turn off and on again like reset
as mention i don't know Singtel tech guy told me the default modem not say good is like CPF got ram inside sometimes if you have slow or what will reset clear the memory etc likewise same for the default modem.

He told me of course those expensive one no need like that just like once in blue moon if you noticed internet speed seem not right etc.

You don't need anyone.
As u learn and have a need u go forward
Fiber Optic Media Converters
https://youtu.be/rp4ENAj2TV0

(02-05-2022, 11:27 PM)Ernesto Wrote:  Nowadays free is usually for higher subscription. If yours is the old 500mph, just buy the router will do.

many thanks, bro..............

so just go Sim Lim and buy any modem with fibre optic input (fibre broadband) will do ?............. Huh

what brand is reliable and roughly what's the price ?

(02-05-2022, 11:38 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Try to hard reset your router first…
If still can’t work then buy a new router to replace it.

Now no more give free modem for Singtel and StarHub , got to pay for wifi 6 router modem monthly even if you subscribe the new lines…
Now telcos become very cheapo…

May be you can try viewQuest, got free modem, if I am not wrong.

many thanks, bro...............

how to hard reset the modem ?...............i not using router since i don't like wireless connections............. Huh