Why do seniors worry more and become depressed?

It may be true that with maturity, we have a wider perspective about life, but most of us become more anxious as we age compared to when we were younger. It seems that stress and worries become worse as we age owing to health problems, loss of a spouse, retirement and other major life changes that build up as we get older. This makes us become more anxious and depressed. Some surveys even suggest that 1 in 5 older people suffer anxiety symptoms that require treatment. In addition to psychological causes, medical disorders are common in older adults and are directly responsible for our worries. What do those over 50 in this forum think? 
[+] 3 users Like EvertonDiehard's post

To sum it up .... not willing to let the past go. Without letting go, you never be free to find happiness

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Tangsen's post

How can seniors not worry when they were collecting cardboards for survival but were told that they are actually exercising to stay fit.

Rotfl
[+] 3 users Like Stoki's post

Some worry as need to feed kids who refuse to go work so depends on them. Some is house or car not yet pay finish and hope children start working help out a bit but they don't want. Some is handle elderly parents on long term illness. So of cuz stress lar. Remove parents and children from equation sure no more stress as earned monies only feed yourself.

(08-07-2024, 02:24 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  To sum it up .... not willing to let the past go. Without letting go, you never be free to find happiness

Life changes and challenges are inevitable. As we age, we face new challenges such as retirement, declining health, loss of loved ones and financial insecurity after retirement which will cause some degree of stress and worry. Chronic pain or illness contribute to feelings of helplessness and depression. Loss is a frequent part of aging since we may lose our spouse and others dear to us. This can be a major source of grief and sadness. Social isolation from reduced mobility or social circles lead to loneliness, which surely worsens anxiety and depression. What we need is good social support, positive mindset and seeking help when needed. I am sure that many of us know how to find ways to manage stress and live fulfilling lives as we ease into retirement.

There's no clear Govt policy supports for seniors..

All poor seniors afraid to die alone in HDBs

(08-07-2024, 02:31 PM)sgh Wrote:  Some worry as need to feed kids who refuse to go work so depends on them. Some is house or car not yet pay finish and hope children start working help out a bit but they don't want. Some is handle elderly parents on long term illness. So of cuz stress lar. Remove parents and children from equation sure no more stress as earned monies only feed yourself.

Loneliness and a sense of isolation will replace the stress.

(08-07-2024, 02:39 PM)Scythian Wrote:  There's no clear Govt policy supports for seniors

There are only unhelpful comments from our politicians like seniors collect used cardboard as a form of exercise, and not because they need the money.

(08-07-2024, 02:40 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Loneliness and a sense of isolation will replace the stress.

For you maybe but definitely not for me. I like being alone something close to a monk life.

(08-07-2024, 02:42 PM)sgh Wrote:  For you maybe but definitely not for me. I like being alone something close to a monk life.

To be honest, I also enjoy "me time" and often am happiest WFH, reading a book, watching Netflix or enjoying a meal solo. However, too much of the above will lead to loneliness and isolation. To me, 2 days WFH is all I am able to put up with. I still need at least 3 days of interacting with my co-workers every week.  

(08-07-2024, 02:53 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  To be honest, I also enjoy "me time" and often am happiest WFH, reading a book, watching Netflix or enjoying a meal solo. However, too much of the above will lead to loneliness and isolation. To me, 2 days WFH is all I am able to put up with. I still need at least 3 days of interacting with my co-workers every week.  

As I say that is you does not speak for everyone. I seek to being alone and search for the immortality pill. If I live forever all my close ties will die of old age while I remain alive which is why in the first place must cut away all ties and kinship. So if they die won't affect me in any way as I can live forever.

(08-07-2024, 01:53 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  It may be true that with maturity, we have a wider perspective about life, but most of us become more anxious as we age compared to when we were younger. It seems that stress and worries become worse as we age owing to health problems, loss of a spouse, retirement and other major life changes that build up as we get older. This makes us become more anxious and depressed. Some surveys even suggest that 1 in 5 older people suffer anxiety symptoms that require treatment. In addition to psychological causes, medical disorders are common in older adults and are directly responsible for our worries. What do those over 50 in this forum think? 
Thumbs_up Thumbs_up Thumbs_up

(08-07-2024, 02:27 PM)Stoki Wrote:  How can seniors not worry when they were collecting cardboards for survival but were told that they are actually exercising to stay fit.

Rotfl
Rotfl

(08-07-2024, 02:38 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Life changes and challenges are inevitable. As we age, we face new challenges such as retirement, declining health, loss of loved ones and financial insecurity after retirement which will cause some degree of stress and worry. Chronic pain or illness contribute to feelings of helplessness and depression. Loss is a frequent part of aging since we may lose our spouse and others dear to us. This can be a major source of grief and sadness. Social isolation from reduced mobility or social circles lead to loneliness, which surely worsens anxiety and depression. What we need is good social support, positive mindset and seeking help when needed. I am sure that many of us know how to find ways to manage stress and live fulfilling lives as we ease into retirement.

I am already at the stage that you have highlighted. 😊

Yes life changes are inevitable but not challenging. Once you accept it. Even for your own death. 

In order to fully comprehend and accept the reality of life, it is essential to acknowledge that everyone, regardless of their socioeconomic status, is susceptible to illness, frailty, and the inevitable approach of mortality.. 

We will never know how we or our spouse are going to die. So why stress over it?
Just make it as comfortable as possible, and be happy. As some people say, a happy ending.

In the midst of maintaining my well-being, engaging in moderate physical activity, and seeking moments of solitary relaxation in outdoor settings or shopping centers, as well as fostering connections with former acquaintances through social engagements such as lunch gatherings, constitute the most gratifying experiences for me.

It is my good fortune to have meticulously planned for a financially secure retirement, although this does not imply immense wealth. I have a clear vision of how I intend to spend the remaining 10 to 20 years of my life.

Anxiety and depression are not something I worry about at my age.
During my periods of leisure, I periodically contemplate my previous acquaintances, offspring, and romantic partners. Wishing them well, have a happy life once I am gone...

Those are my experiences with aging.. 😊
Don't worry 😉.

Sgtalk forumers mostly born in the 1950s to mid 1970s.

Mostly lau kok kok bunch.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(08-07-2024, 06:50 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Sgtalk forumers mostly born in the 1950s to mid 1970s.

That is the reason they've all the time to TCSS over here..🤣
[+] 1 user Likes moonrab's post

I can't think of any reason for seniors to worry and become depressed except for their retirement savings may not outlast their lifespan with the current rate of double digit inflation yearly. 
Most of them have planned a retirement sum which should last them with inflation rate about 10 years ago.  Unfortunately, many were caught off guard with the current astronomical rate of inflation which some were caused by the PAP with GST, transport, utility, and rental hikes leading to across the board increment in cost of living. This is the area causing sleepless nights, stress and depression to retirees.      Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

The present Govt has not done well to take care of present elderly so what makes them think that middle- age can trust them 10 years later? 

[Image: IMG-1331.jpg]

In some advanced countries, workers are looking forward even for early retirement ..

But why Singapore seniors are exception?

(08-07-2024, 06:57 PM)moonrab Wrote:  That is the reason they've all the time to TCSS over here..🤣

You, no exception

(08-07-2024, 07:33 PM)Scythian Wrote:  You, no exception

Entertaining you ma..🤭

(08-07-2024, 08:00 PM)moonrab Wrote:  Entertaining you ma..🤭

You are all over the place.. exhausted

Seemingly better than "路透社"

(08-07-2024, 08:15 PM)Scythian Wrote:  You are all over the place.. exhausted

Seemingly better than "路透社"

Because you keep on replying me le...🤣

(08-07-2024, 02:41 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  There are only unhelpful comments from our politicians like seniors collect used cardboard as a form of exercise, and not because they need the money.

That politician must be an idiot..

He can also do the same morning exercise @ Orchard Road.

(08-07-2024, 07:31 PM)Scythian Wrote:  In some advanced countries, workers are looking forward even for early retirement .. But why Singapore seniors are exception?

The simple answer is that S'poreans live in the most expensive city in the world so many seniors simply cannot afford to retire because their life savings will be wiped out in a few short years. 

(08-07-2024, 06:50 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Sgtalk forumers mostly born in the 1950s to mid 1970s. Mostly lau kok kok bunch.

Many seniors may behave like they are self-centred owing to health issues. As physical and cognitive abilities decline, some elderly may become more focused on their own needs due to challenges with daily tasks. They may need to prioritise their health and well-being, which can sometimes be perceived as self-centredness. There is also increased dependence when they need more help with daily activities which may be frustrating and lead to feelings of helplessness. This desire for more control, may appear self-centred. Then there are the psychological changes such facing their own mortality which may lead to a desire to focus on enjoying their remaining time. This may be seen as selfishness. Depression and anxiety can cause social withdrawal and a preoccupation with personal worries, making someone seem self-absorbed. Then there is cognitive decline during the early stages of dementia or memory loss that can make it difficult to understand or consider the needs of others. The loss of a spouse may lead to loneliness and social isolation. This can make someone appear self-centred as they cope with grief.
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(08-07-2024, 06:39 PM)moonrab Wrote:  I am already at the stage that you have highlighted. 😊 Yes life changes are inevitable but not challenging. Once you accept it. Even for your own death. In order to fully comprehend and accept the reality of life, it is essential to acknowledge that everyone, regardless of their socioeconomic status, is susceptible to illness, frailty, and the inevitable approach of mortality.. We will never know how we or our spouse are going to die. So why stress over it?Just make it as comfortable as possible, and be happy. As some people say, a happy ending.In the midst of maintaining my well-being, engaging in moderate physical activity, and seeking moments of solitary relaxation in outdoor settings or shopping centers, as well as fostering connections with former acquaintances through social engagements such as lunch gatherings, constitute the most gratifying experiences for me.It is my good fortune to have meticulously planned for a financially secure retirement, although this does not imply immense wealth. I have a clear vision of how I intend to spend the remaining 10 to 20 years of my life.Anxiety and depression are not something I worry about at my age.
During my periods of leisure, I periodically contemplate my previous acquaintances, offspring, and romantic partners. Wishing them well, have a happy life once I am gone...Those are my experiences with aging.. 😊 Don't worry 😉.

The transition from a structured work life to retirement may lead to feelings of purposelessness and a focus on personal fulfilment. I believe that many older adults remain generous, compassionate and engaged with their families and communities like my parents. Prioritising their health and well-being is essential, especially as they age. It doesn't necessarily equate to selfishness. I notice instances of self-centred behaviour in my elderly parents, and consider if there might be underlying health concerns or emotional issues causing this.

(08-07-2024, 09:09 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  The transition from a structured work life to retirement may lead to feelings of purposelessness and a focus on personal fulfilment. I believe that many older adults remain generous, compassionate and engaged with their families and communities like my parents. Prioritising their health and well-being is essential, especially as they age. It doesn't necessarily equate to selfishness. I notice instances of self-centred behaviour in my elderly parents, and consider if there might be underlying health concerns or emotional issues causing this.

As individuals advance in age, they may experience a decline in their physical abilities and overall health. This can manifest in various ways, such as reduced mobility, confinement to a wheelchair or bed, difficulty swallowing, reliance on medical devices for bodily functions, development of pressure ulcers, and respiratory challenges.

These are the development of aging sickness. 
Beside the usual cancerous illness or heart attack in which speeding up the last phase. 

Aging sickness can be a slow development wearing out a person's emotion. Realizing that their usual self was no longer attainable, the individual succumbed to self-pity and externalized blame. Especially on the care givers. (Children or relatives)

A change in behavior is anticipated when individuals are unable to come to terms with their altered physical state.. 

Nevertheless, if you are aware that it is a natural process, embrace it as an integral aspect of your existence. By doing so, it becomes more feasible to sustain a positive perspective and relish your remaining moments.

This phase is of the utmost importance, as it not only fulfills your own life experience but also enriches the lives of those around you. 
Rest assured, your spouse and children will not be adversely affected by the natural aging process.

The most thoughtful and meaningful present you can bestow upon them during your lifetime.
[+] 1 user Likes moonrab's post

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oVfdmpQZh...ture=share

(08-07-2024, 06:50 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Sgtalk forumers mostly born in the 1950s to mid 1970s.

Even the admin is in the 80s …. the display so big … cannot see  Rotfl

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin