ah chan - talk is cheap....start from you..what have u done for sg

(17-01-2022, 10:46 AM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Yes of course , hello those go JC route OF course target go Uni.

Nah Poly route is Not a wise choice and worst Now. IF back in good old days 80s, 90s yes BUT now is not.
Lastly Promotion, progress to higher management is Faster for JC grad with Degree honestly.
Don't believe?

Just see around you, your colleagues, Polys one and formerly JC ones with degree
OR Poly grad with degree vs JC grad with degree.

ONE thing for sure, JC grad progress faster.

Even in Public sectors look around you those straight come in to become Director, Deputy director , ALL former JC grads
Likewise same in Big Corporation even in Bank, DBS, OCBC , you name it , look those Holding top position inside, ALL formerly JC grads for most.

Those who are formerly Poly , do have but minority mind you , for them is take years to get there , whereas Former JC grads take just few years to get that position.

Those who are “forced” to go the JC route by their parents don’t always make it to uni.  You need to bear that in mind.  Poly is a more practical education while JC is more academic.  If you can’t make it to uni after JC, and just stop at JC.. really game over.

At least with a Poly diploma, you are better equipped for the workforce.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(17-01-2022, 12:02 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Read the article in totality, he didn't say that degree is not important. He's merely saying that people need to keep learning and have diversified skills, so that a person knowing just engineering or business is not good enough.

Yes. It will be a different world going forward. Multi disciplinary. Like in army; all arms.

We need to know many other things beside our niche capabilities.

Cotton talk sense this time.

By the way, I went the JC route hor. Slogged and slogged and didn’t enjoy myself. My Poly frens didn’t need to wear uniforms and had lots more fun Laughing

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(17-01-2022, 09:40 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  How about SMU, SUTD etc? Big Grin

These are second class grad. but I do not know their criteria for admission into their unis........

(17-01-2022, 11:35 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Yes. It will be a different world going forward. Multi disciplinary.  Like in army;  all arms.

We need to know many other things beside our  niche capabilities.

Cotton talk sense this time.

do not be fooled by the PAP ministers.

why singaporeans need to always learn new fields and new industries ?

because PAP govt cannot sustain the current industries for long term.
every 5 to 10 years, these companies will move out and the govt needs to attract new industries into singapore.
that explains why Singapore need to learn skills and new knowledge.

if current industries can stay long term, we just need to deepen our skills.

i have friends in china and taiwan, they do not need to change their fields.
they just stay in the same field and deepen their skills.

(17-01-2022, 11:47 AM)forum456 Wrote:  do not be fooled by the PAP ministers.

every 5 to 10 years, these companies will move out and the govt needs to attract new industries into singapore.

let me give an example.

my uncle friend in taiwan who worked in semicon industry.
from 1st job to retirement, he worked in the semicon.
now, his son follows him to work in semicon.
they do no need to learn new fields, they just need to deepen their skills.

(17-01-2022, 11:47 AM)forum456 Wrote:  do not be fooled by the PAP ministers.

20 years from now, this problem will still be there.

the govt will ask singaporeans to change fields and learn new fields.

poly no need to do exams on GP and MT language papers right? so it's a better choice for those who are weak or hate these subjects.

and aso can go oversea universities straight into second yr right?

(17-01-2022, 12:11 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  poly no need to do exams on GP and MT language papers right? so it's a better choice for those who are weak or hate these subjects.

and aso can go oversea universities straight into second yr right?

By and large poly graduates can join an English university and go straight into 2nd year of a 3 year course.  But there are some English universities that can be accepted into the 3 rd year of 3-year degree course.......

(17-01-2022, 01:44 AM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  lol this is why I say JC route is ALWAYS the safe bet,

If you wanna be like him, Same go JC best elite JC get scholar , than as been a Top civil servant involve a lot community work beside join Young PAP , just cross finger hope get nominated for GE , BEST Tag with PM or those old guards

good an example LOL look at Chan Chun Sing himself so there you go

Even JC route also not safe…
You forget they imported so many fake talents to compete with us? Rotfl
Degree mill, remember?
No more safe job…

This is what happened when ownself check ownself system is in place.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(17-01-2022, 11:52 AM)forum456 Wrote:  let me give an example.

my uncle friend in taiwan who worked in semicon industry.
from 1st job to retirement, he worked in the semicon.
now, his son follows him to work in semicon.
they do no need to learn new fields, they just need to deepen their skills.

There is always a debate over whether one should focus on breath and depth of a subject. There is no one-shoe-fits-all solution. It depends very much on what is the current situation and also one's own aptitude and fortune.

IMO, it's always better to specialize on one thing (that means focusing on the depth) but at the same time opening oneself up to new areas.

(17-01-2022, 12:56 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  There is always a debate over whether one should focus on breath and depth of a subject. There is no one-shoe-fits-all solution. It depends very much on what is the current situation and also one's own aptitude and fortune.

IMO, it's always better to specialize on one thing (that means focusing on the depth) but at the same time opening oneself up to new areas.

you do not get the big picture.

in singapore, the govt will support new industries/companies for 10 years with discount.
the govt will ask the people to learn the new fields.
end of 10 years, these industries move out of singapore when there is no more discount.
the govt will then support another new industries/companies for 10 years at discount.
the govt will ask the people to learn the another new fields.
this cycle is repeated.

in taiwan, the govt will invest to build new industries for 10 years with discount.
the govt will ask the people to learn the new fields.
these industries will stay permanent in taiwan.

(17-01-2022, 01:27 PM)forum456 Wrote:  you do not get the big picture.

in singapore, the govt will support new industries/companies for 10 years with discount.
end of 10 years, these industries move out of singapore when there is no more discount.
the govt will then support another new industries/companies for 10 years at discount.
this cycle is repeated.

in taiwan, the govt will invest to build new industries for 10 years with discount.

Not much diff lah. Tech n info are always changing n upgrading so most people need to learn new things either directly or indirectly related. There are exceptions I am sure. You mentioned semicon. I no expert so don't know.

All I know is that the gist is to keep learning and upgrading. We can't stand still. I don't think cotton meant to keep changing to new industries. It depends on the opportunities.

In SG, you can also go deep in certain industries. Each country is different yet the principles of life long learning are the same

ah chan is a bit left out in this snakes and ladders game, so he got to say something to grab attention

(16-01-2022, 11:55 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Only you'll think so. 

Don't believe?

Try putting up a monkey as a candidate.

I am one of those who think it is workable.. Do you think whatever ideas/implementation a ministry rolled out are all from the minister??  Of coz no.. It is the civil service structure that is doing the hardwork of coming out with new ideas/implementations. Minister is the rubber stamp.. Just like JT now in ministry of Infocom. How would she be able to question effectively without industry background.

So, we can even put a wild boar as a minister.. But what wild boar can't do, is to defend your ministry in parliament when being questioned by MP.. So when that happened, have to send in the PS in it's place..

The pro of this arrangement? You only need to pay wild boar $200 per month for food and that is a lot of saving consider how long our minister remain as a minister in Singapore..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

(17-01-2022, 11:32 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Those who are “forced” to go the JC route by their parents don’t always make it to uni.  You need to bear that in mind.  Poly is a more practical education while JC is more academic.  If you can’t make it to uni after JC, and just stop at JC.. really game over.

At least with a Poly diploma, you are better equipped for the workforce.

Nope as mention now is 2022 , Poly is not say better FYI. Look foreigner talents, Cheaper Tech support from foreigner countries like India , Phillipines, Malaysia , etc are " addicted " As business owners, labour cheap = more profits.

Next these foreigeners already have Years of experience instantly than a Poly grad

Why JC now is wiser, as mention is More into Management. Planning etc. These jobs STILL to be honest cater for Locals.
No doubt foreigners talents also into this but still Locals have the advantage.

(17-01-2022, 12:26 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Even JC route also not safe…
You forget they imported so many fake talents to compete with us? Rotfl
Degree mill, remember?
No more safe job…

This is what happened when ownself check ownself system is in place.

LOL just go Civil service, straight at least in the management post
Those tech job are Poly grads.

(17-01-2022, 02:07 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Nope as mention now is 2022 , Poly is not say better FYI.  Look foreigner talents, Cheaper Tech support from foreigner countries like India , Phillipines, Malaysia , etc are " addicted " As business owners, labour cheap = more profits.

Next these foreigeners already have Years of experience instantly than a Poly grad

Why JC now is wiser, as mention is More into Management. Planning etc. These jobs STILL to be honest cater for Locals.
No doubt foreigners talents also into this but still Locals have the advantage.

My stance is still the same.  Going to JC without going to uni (ie just A levels) is a complete waste of time.  Going the polytechnic route in this way is way smarter and more effective.

(17-01-2022, 01:27 PM)forum456 Wrote:  you do not get the big picture.

this cycle is repeated.

If you do not want to learn other skills then you'll always be at the mercy of the company who employed you. That is why I said, if you continue in the company then you should sharpen your existing skills, but at the same time, learn other skills whenever it is possible. Who knows, one day you may have a big argument with your boss and you want to quit. But having no other skills you cannot do so easily.

(17-01-2022, 02:13 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  My stance is still the same.  Going to JC without going to uni (ie just A levels) is a complete waste of time.  Going the polytechnic route in this way is way smarter and more effective.

Of course go JC is to get in UNI what. FYI the Uni slots Majority is reserve for JC grads the rest for TOP poly grad.
Mind you For Poly grad is in fact harder you have to be TOP not just in the class also in Whole department.

This debate all along been discuss in Poly as Poly students not say happy on this feel un fair,

SO here come what STI this UNI, is aim for Poly students.

Do note, Gov DON'T LIKE too much " smart people " IF everyone can go JC , like that who do the low end jobs?

This is why I keep say , those O levels students can go JC better go JC, study hard for just 2 years go UNI at least continue work hard got a degree , the rest is all depend individuals BUT At least your education profile is there.

(17-01-2022, 04:58 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Of course go JC is to get in UNI what.  FYI the Uni slots Majority is reserve for JC grads the rest for TOP poly grad.
Mind you For Poly grad is in fact harder you have to be TOP not just in the class also in Whole department.

This debate all along been discuss in Poly as Poly students not say happy on this feel un fair,

Do note, Gov DON'T LIKE too much " smart people " IF everyone can go JC , like that who do the low end jobs?

This is why I keep say , those O levels students can go JC better go JC, study hard for just 2 years go UNI at least continue work hard got a degree , the rest is all depend individuals  BUT At least your education profile is there.

Well said, I concur with your stance in this matter. Those who can study hard and smart, will go to JC and continue their education in either NUS/NTU......

(17-01-2022, 04:58 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Of course go JC is to get in UNI what.  FYI the Uni slots Majority is reserve for JC grads the rest for TOP poly grad.

This is why I keep say , those O levels students can go JC better go JC, study hard for just 2 years go UNI at least continue work hard got a degree , the rest is all depend individuals  BUT At least your education profile is there.

Actually what you are saying is like 7+3 equals 10 and I am saying 6+4 is also equal to 10.  Going Poly is also good and a smart alternative if you are not that academically inclined.  It definitively gives you a huge edge over the A level folks who can’t get into uni. 

Go the JC route only if your intent is and you can get into uni.  Else you end up disadvantaged and the Poly folks have a better head start than you.

And Poly folks can have transfer credits to many distinguished universities abroad.  Not just must die die study in Singapore.  They normally just take one or two years to finish their degrees Big Grin

That’s my final say on this matter.

Ha.. I interpreted the statement "it will be unthinkable that students would graduate with a degree in engineering..." as next thing, no one want to be engineering grad.. Go be a business/finance/law grad got much more prospects...

Be it job wise, or be it to be MP..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

(17-01-2022, 05:42 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Actually what you are saying is like 7+3 equals 10 and I am saying 6+4 is also equal to 10.  Going Poly is also good and a smart alternative if you are not that academically inclined.  It definitively gives you a huge edge over the A level folks who can’t get into uni. 

Go the JC route only if your intent is and you can get into uni.  Else you end up disadvantaged and the Poly folks have a better head start than you.

And Poly folks can have transfer credits to many distinguished universities abroad.  Not just must die die study in Singapore.  They normally just take one or two years to finish their degrees Big Grin

Is not true, JC grad > Nus/NTU , progress to Oversea establish UNI not your " SIM , USIM which a lot Poly go because they cannot go NUS/NTU "

This is why end of the day JC grad have upper hand, Stop bluffing yourself, just look around you in your Work place, or if you work in Big corporation like Google Inc, DBS , Whatever see those high up there earn at least 10k above per month ALL mostly JC grad

I never say Poly grad cannot make it BUT TAKE LONGER . This is why in the early stage , those O levels student IF want to acheive BIG better go JC route if you can.

(17-01-2022, 05:18 PM)debono Wrote:  Well said, I concur with your stance in this matter. Those who can study hard and smart, will go to JC and continue their education in either NUS/NTU......

That is Obviously, those go JC route know themselves have to keep study hard for 2 years progress to NUS/NTU

Like my Cousin, go JC study hard >NUS business > internship ,
After finish her degree, straight got job , that company she inter, want to hire her.

What I know now she earn more than Poly grad in that company. She now like managed got a team of poly grad under her and her top is all former JC grad just like her.

(17-01-2022, 05:42 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Actually what you are saying is like 7+3 equals 10 and I am saying 6+4 is also equal to 10.  Going Poly is also good and a smart alternative if you are not that academically inclined.  It definitively gives you a huge edge over the A level folks who can’t get into uni. 

I like your argument, but I still feel going to a JC and thence into uni. is the way to go.....we can agree to disagree......

(17-01-2022, 07:39 PM)debono Wrote:  I like your argument, but I still feel going to a JC and thence into uni. is the way to go.....we can agree to disagree......

Actually there is no disagreement.  What I postulated is that those who set their sights on going to JC had better then go to Uni.  If they can't make it to uni or have no interest in pursuing a uni education, then they are way better having a polytechnic education, which is way more practical than a 2 yr JC academic course Big Grin

(17-01-2022, 07:39 PM)debono Wrote:  I like your argument, but I still feel going to a JC and thence into uni. is the way to go.....we can agree to disagree......

Go JC route only if the student is academically inclined. If not, don't force.

Not for everyone. The student has to know his/her own inclinations and interest.

Success in life does not depend on a degree only. There are so many different ways. But if you only want a corporate (or gahmen sector) job where you plan to be an employee all your life and climb the corporate ladder, then yes, probably a degree has an advantage.

But why join the rat race? Even if you win, you are still a rat (some famous actress said this). Better to do things your own way. That's freedom and real success.

these ppl come in and talk talk talk but demand astronomical pay like the whole country owe them a living... sigh..

I am just a tiny plankton in the ocean.

(16-01-2022, 11:55 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Only you'll think so. 

Don't believe?

Try putting up a monkey as a candidate.

Nope.  These were words said by smelly oppies...that they would vote for even a monkey than a PAP candidate.

Oh well, no monkey stood for election.  But RK did and you buggers voted for her.  Song bo?  Lol!