goh meng seng finally throw in the towel
Thumbs Up 

October 30th, 2021 

Mr Goh Meng Seng

Ever since I revealed that I will be leaving my beloved birth place SG soon, quite a number of people, some are just FB friends whom I have not met before, private messaged me.

Some are curious where I will be going and whether it is for good? Some had tried to persuade me to stay or at least continue to do my Thrice weekly GMS Live Policy Chats. Some even ask how can they leave SG without being Vax….Some even ask me whether I will contest next GE.

I have been in opposition politics for 20 years, having another 8 additional years of policy study, analysis and commentary.

I have basically given all my prime years to policy and politics. It is about time to reset my priorities shifting away from public to more personal and family focus.

Whether we like it or not, the political landscape is extremely limited and only PAP LITE/Like opposition parties are acceptable to majority Singaporeans’ appetite. Singaporeans are after all, trained to focus on economic materialistic gains and stability rather than more ideological pursue of a vibrant diversity with vigorous checks and balances supported by effective institutional Separation of Powers.

Token opposition to make meek noises in Parliament is all they need. As Singaporeans are not trained in critical thinking from young, even less on politics other than PAP’s self glorification propaganda, group thinking is the main stream in Singapore.

Everything will work perfectly well in normal prosperous times but when a great crisis just befallen on us, even the supposed Ruling Elites wouldn’t know how to react and handle. This is because, this is something “out of the norm”, not something taught in text books or with any viable SOP.

PAP is extremely good in politicking and tweaking the laws by never ending tightening its grip on power. They are even better in propaganda and manipulating public opinions.

However, when the imminent enemy is not human but a microscopic virus, no amount of propaganda or gripping of power via manipulation of laws will help them.

The incompetency will just be exposed numerous times throughout this period. The more threat PAP faced from this tiny virus, the more anxious they are in tightening their grip on power by destroying all adversaries from individual dissidents, activists, alternative social media and eventually, the opposition politicians.

When PAP slowly lose their credibility and public trust by their incompetent mismanagement of Covid crisis, the more they will need to destroy their adversaries, so that whoever left to contest against their power, will be mediocre or mild players with no alternative media to help them in next elections.

Although I have made progress in upping my own political profile during this period of time but it will be just a matter of time they will turn their guns against me.

They have strengthen their legal ammunition with POFMA, FICA and if these are still insufficient, ISA will always be the last resort.

On the other hand, Singaporeans will forever that docile. I love my fellow Singaporeans but I will never put any hope on them to stand up against PAP’s tyranny.

Thus, I do not think there is any meaningful reasons for me to continue in opposition politics unless I am prepared to sacrifice my political principles and vision, just play along as a court jester by being just a meek voice in Parliament. In Chinese, that is called 政客混饭吃.

I can only see decline in Singapore as the system has failed to produce the vibrant environment necessary for real good leaders to nurture. Rent Seeking is just too rampant which will turn meritocracy into a mythical bluff of delusions. The current leaders’ mediocrity is just the beginning of the great decline.

I may continue to do Live Chats in future but will refocus to things from my other interests, beside policy and politics. I may even give Dharma or Spiritual talks if I have the time!

But the main priorities will be starting new businesses, earning more money, traveling more to see the world etc.

The World is my oyster. I shall no longer restrict myself to this tiny Red Dot anymore.

Hopefully before I reach 70, I can enjoy my last golden period fullest and retire with greater wisdom to achieve Nirvana. Living a life once is good enough, don’t want to live any more lives in this universe anymore.

Goh Meng Seng
[+] 5 users Like singaporean1964's post

How old is he?

(31-10-2021, 01:51 PM)Sentinel Wrote:  How old is he?

throw in the towel doesnt mean he died
it means he is guving up fighting the pap
[+] 2 users Like singaporean1964's post

I think this part touches the key problem with the country
Quote: can only see decline in Singapore as the system has failed to produce the vibrant environment necessary for real good leaders to nurture. Rent Seeking is just too rampant which will turn meritocracy into a mythical bluff of delusions. The current leaders’ mediocrity is just the beginning of the great decline.

The elites live in sphere of their own and main goal is to maintain their hold on power and perpetuate a system that primarily benefit the elites and those connected to it.

The rest will just roll along struggling.

I used to think that there is interest to improve and make the lives of ordinary Singaporeans better. But realise it will never happen in such a system.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(31-10-2021, 01:48 PM)singaporean1964 Wrote:  October 30th, 2021 

Mr Goh Meng Seng

Ever since I revealed that I will be leaving my beloved birth place SG soon, quite a number of people, some are just FB friends whom I have not met before, private messaged me.

Some are curious where I will be going and whether it is for good? Some had tried to persuade me to stay or at least continue to do my Thrice weekly GMS Live Policy Chats. Some even ask how can they leave SG without being Vax….Some even ask me whether I will contest next GE.

I have been in opposition politics for 20 years, having another 8 additional years of policy study, analysis and commentary.

I have basically given all my prime years to policy and politics. It is about time to reset my priorities shifting away from public to more personal and family focus.

Whether we like it or not, the political landscape is extremely limited and only PAP LITE/Like opposition parties are acceptable to majority Singaporeans’ appetite. Singaporeans are after all, trained to focus on economic materialistic gains and stability rather than more ideological pursue of a vibrant diversity with vigorous checks and balances supported by effective institutional Separation of Powers.

Token opposition to make meek noises in Parliament is all they need. As Singaporeans are not trained in critical thinking from young, even less on politics other than PAP’s self glorification propaganda, group thinking is the main stream in Singapore.

Everything will work perfectly well in normal prosperous times but when a great crisis just befallen on us, even the supposed Ruling Elites wouldn’t know how to react and handle. This is because, this is something “out of the norm”, not something taught in text books or with any viable SOP.

PAP is extremely good in politicking and tweaking the laws by never ending tightening its grip on power. They are even better in propaganda and manipulating public opinions.

However, when the imminent enemy is not human but a microscopic virus, no amount of propaganda or gripping of power via manipulation of laws will help them.

The incompetency will just be exposed numerous times throughout this period. The more threat PAP faced from this tiny virus, the more anxious they are in tightening their grip on power by destroying all adversaries from individual dissidents, activists, alternative social media and eventually, the opposition politicians.

When PAP slowly lose their credibility and public trust by their incompetent mismanagement of Covid crisis, the more they will need to destroy their adversaries, so that whoever left to contest against their power, will be mediocre or mild players with no alternative media to help them in next elections.

Although I have made progress in upping my own political profile during this period of time but it will be just a matter of time they will turn their guns against me.

They have strengthen their legal ammunition with POFMA, FICA and if these are still insufficient, ISA will always be the last resort.

On the other hand, Singaporeans will forever that docile. I love my fellow Singaporeans but I will never put any hope on them to stand up against PAP’s tyranny.

Thus, I do not think there is any meaningful reasons for me to continue in opposition politics unless I am prepared to sacrifice my political principles and vision, just play along as a court jester by being just a meek voice in Parliament. In Chinese, that is called 政客混饭吃.

I can only see decline in Singapore as the system has failed to produce the vibrant environment necessary for real good leaders to nurture. Rent Seeking is just too rampant which will turn meritocracy into a mythical bluff of delusions. The current leaders’ mediocrity is just the beginning of the great decline.

I may continue to do Live Chats in future but will refocus to things from my other interests, beside policy and politics. I may even give Dharma or Spiritual talks if I have the time!

But the main priorities will be starting new businesses, earning more money, traveling more to see the world etc.

The World is my oyster. I shall no longer restrict myself to this tiny Red Dot anymore.

Hopefully before I reach 70, I can enjoy my last golden period fullest and retire with greater wisdom to achieve Nirvana. Living a life once is good enough, don’t want to live any more lives in this universe anymore.

Goh Meng Seng

Such an "eloquent" writer, it is a great pity to see him go, and leave our political landscape. My take is that he is afraid to talk bad about the ruling party and kenna sue by the incumbents.... crying

(31-10-2021, 02:02 PM)debono Wrote:  Such an "eloquent" writer, it is a great pity to see him go, and leave our political landscape. My take is that he is afraid to talk bad about the ruling party and kenna sue by the incumbents.... crying
the greedy sg electorate dont deserve him
time to pay the piper by dropping dead with covid

Good for you, GMS. 
If you're onto the spiritual path, 
The only way is to 'let go:.
The world is a stage, 
We are just playing our role. Put in right effort on the right direction, 
Eventually, you will find the peace within.

(31-10-2021, 02:14 PM)singaporean1964 Wrote:  the greedy sg electorate dont deserve him
time to pay the piper by dropping dead with covid

We sure miss him as an opposition member, speaking at Hong Lim Park every GE.... crying crying
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

Quote:Token opposition to make meek noises in Parliament is all they need. As Singaporeans are not trained in critical thinking from young, even less on politics other than PAP’s self glorification propaganda, group thinking is the main stream in Singapore.

People don't vote for you doesn't mean they are not trained in critical thinking. The problem could be you and your approach instead.

He gave up la because failed. Quitter.

(31-10-2021, 02:27 PM)starbugs Wrote:  People don't vote for you doesn't mean they are not trained in critical thinking. The problem could be you and your approach instead.

What abt dumbfarks?

When the lehman minibonds sold to elderly by Singapore banks collapsed ....not a single PAP MP spoke up to help them....the govt was ready to walk away from the problem if there was no pressure to do something and leave the investors to suffer.

It was people like Goh Meng Seng who spoke up ...that helped to turn the tide. The elderly in the end received something but many still lost their life savings.

I was in the crowd watching the speech and talking to those who lost everything. They were just queuing at the bank and lured by the relationship managers at the bank to put their live savings into these products and assured it was safe. Yet the bank claimed they had no responsibility.

But not a single highly paid PAP leader spoke up for these people....you ask me what is wrong with the leadership....this is what's wrong.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(31-10-2021, 02:27 PM)starbugs Wrote:  People don't vote for you doesn't mean they are not trained in critical thinking. The problem could be you and your approach instead.

It is very difficult to get an opposition candidate into parliament, cos there are over 60% who will die die vote the incumbents in.  These people wants to have a strong party and don't want any drastic change but to have the status quo to remain.  They are just afraid that the opposition parties become the ruling part, maybe as a coalition party, then the  incumbents will lose their million dollars remunerations....  Rotfl

(31-10-2021, 02:38 PM)debono Wrote:  It is very difficult to get an opposition candidate into parliament, cos there are over 60% who will die die vote the incumbents in.  These people wants to have a strong party and don't want any drastic change but to have the status quo to remain.  They are just afraid that the opposition parties become the ruling part, maybe as a coalition party, then the  incumbents will lose their million dollars remunerations....  Rotfl

I assure you there is no more 60% at the next election.

You say it is a 6,
I say it's a 9.
It all depends on the angle you are looking at.

(31-10-2021, 02:42 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I assure you there is no more 60% at the next election.

So you dun see what GMS saw?.......... Thinking

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(31-10-2021, 02:42 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I assure you there is no more 60% at the next election.

Is this a confirm number or one that you perceived will happen.....? Laughing

(31-10-2021, 02:53 PM)debono Wrote:  Is this a confirm number or one that you perceived will happen.....? Laughing

Of course such a number unless polls or extensive collection one cannot be 100% certain.

My deduction comes from last election based on this.

Counting only votes where WP contested the number of votes of opposition is higher than the PAP.

This tells me the electorate has already shifted and just waiting for  opposition  of familar quality to stand in their area.

However, I don't think the pap will stand still as their power is eroded. It is likely they will change rules and use their power to undermine. Just like when WP won Aljunied suddenly they were charged in courts ...

(31-10-2021, 02:38 PM)debono Wrote:  It is very difficult to get an opposition candidate into parliament, cos there are over 60% who will die die vote the incumbents in.  These people wants to have a strong party and don't want any drastic change but to have the status quo to remain.  They are just afraid that the opposition parties become the ruling part, maybe as a coalition party, then the  incumbents will lose their million dollars remunerations....  Rotfl

Next GE its 60+% oppo. The MG will switch support.

Retire too early...
More dafts will switch camp in next GE? Rotfl
No LHL, No Ah Heng....till now still dont know who is the next PM to be?

英雄和狗熊的分别是英雄能坚持多五分钟吧了。
为什么只有英雄难过美人关,却没有狗熊难过美人关?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(31-10-2021, 03:07 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Of course such a number unless polls or extensive collection one cannot be 100% certain.

My deduction comes from last election based on this.

Counting only votes where WP contested the number of votes of opposition is higher than the PAP.

This tells me the electorate has already shifted and just waiting for  opposition  of familar quality to stand in their area.

However, I don't think the pap will stand still as their power is eroded. It is likely they will change rules and use their power to undermine. Just like when WP won Aljunied suddenly they were charged in courts ...

All political parties must contest on a level playing field.  It is unethical for the ruling party to undermine their opposition.  Therefore to 'fix' an opposition MP is uncalled for.... crying

good riddance !

WP will give Tin Pei Ling better competition in MacPherson !

We just have to remember Klaus schwab and Robodog
Now that all are practically jabbeds if not from the needles from
the air or foods .....
The change will baffle many. They still stuck in the past.
GMS is also from the past.
The wise ones will detox
There might even be tired-PAPs and clones take their places.

(31-10-2021, 03:20 PM)debono Wrote:  All political parties must contest on a level playing field.  It is unethical for the ruling party to undermine their opposition.  Therefore to 'fix' an opposition MP is uncalled for.... crying

Got big cert doesnt mean got wisdom to get thing done properly. Rotfl

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(31-10-2021, 03:26 PM)singlon Wrote:  We just have to remember Klaus schwab and Robodog
Now that all are practically jabbeds if not from the needles from
the air or foods .....
The change will baffle many. They still stuck in the past.
GMS is also from the past.
The wise ones will detox

IMHO, GMS mustn't throw in the towel, he will make a good opposition candidate, cos he is fluent in his speech, only thing is that he kenna sue by the ruling party.... crying

Throwing in the towel has a tipping point.
It weakens PAP.
The real strengths will rise.
The people will come together.
They r the majority.

(31-10-2021, 03:32 PM)debono Wrote:  IMHO, GMS mustn't throw in the towel, he will make a good opposition candidate, cos he is fluent in his speech, only thing is that he kenna sue by the ruling party.... crying

Easy to say he should not give up and all that but he put in 20yrs and it was hard to get voters on his side to vote for him with the pap using all sorts of methods to create unlevel playing field but with FICA and POFMA I think it is highly dangerous to be a vocal opposition.

When they come after you especially if you are GMS age they can ruin rest of your life easily.

his supply line in HK cut, taiwan not helping ?

(31-10-2021, 02:29 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  He gave up la because failed. Quitter.

He is not practical, not vision, not determine enough.

Not going to miss him.

(31-10-2021, 03:56 PM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  He is not practical, not vision, not determine enough.

Not going to miss him.

Besides the WP,  few others can crack through... 
Of course some are not of high quality others are hindered by lack of branding..but often voters don't give them a chance 

Anyway, while I disagree with many of GMS ideas, at least he has guts tk speak out on certain issues ...these issues may not win votes but someone has to stand up for justice.