why some mature PMEs struggle to find jobs despite retraining, government support

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...sg-2293696

A former managing director, Siva has been looking for a job for seven years ever since he was retrenched at age 52.

The Singaporean mechanical engineer was one of the applicants who turned up at a job fair at Kampung Admiralty on Oct 26 to try his luck.

He has more than 30 years of experience in oil field drilling equipment manufacturing and seven years ago, his salary as a managing director was about S$10,000. But he was let go in 2014 after oil prices collapsed, he said.

Siva, who did not wish to share his full name, has attended courses in project management and information technology but when he applied for IT jobs, he was told that he did not have the relevant experience.

Recently, he interviewed for an operations role at a public transport company. He was told that he was too highly qualified, even though he was willing to accept an entry-level position and pay of about S$3,000, he said. He feels that his age is a factor.

“Wherever I go interview, they say: ‘You are highly qualified.’ And maybe they will ask one question: ‘What is your age?’” he said.

“Today also the same question: ‘What is your age?’ Then I say I'm 59 (and) maybe my interview will last for less than two minutes.”

His eyes reddened as he recounted how he struggled to find work. When asked if he had considered becoming a private-hire driver, he asked: “Where can I go to apply for that?
[+] 4 users Like forum456's post

JoTeo always shoot blank like sotong.  Under her mentorship, also see Tan SL going round the Bollywood Tree.

My neighbour upstairs, graduated from Singapore Poly, look for job for 8 years. My friend's mum look for jobs for 4 years and still jobless, too.

SkillsFuture is Useless.
It only provides knowledge and not skills.
PAP is merely making locals "Paper Chase" for fake qualifications that no private sector recognize.

Govt Support/ Skills Credit is Useless.
Those courses are mostly for fresh/ young grads.
It is meaningless to attend courses to get certified for skills done in the last 10 or 20 years.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 5 users Like Ola's post

(06-11-2021, 10:05 AM)Ola Wrote:  SkillsFuture is Useless.
making locals "Paper Chaser" for fake qualifications

Govt Support/ Skills Credit is Useless.
Those courses are mostly for fresh/ young grads.
It is meaningless to attend ...

i been going for retraining spent taxpayers money to tune to 100k

still no job😢will u pity me with a job in bank
i can work for free
just pay my cpf to top up retirement sum
and i am🙌
[+] 1 user Likes Talent's post

(06-11-2021, 10:44 AM)Talent Wrote:  i been going for retraining spent taxpayers money to tune to 100k

still no job😢will u pity me with a job in bank
i can work for free
just pay my cpf to top up retirement sum
and i am🙌

Wah, our job situation is so bad that we come to this stage. Hope it doesn't affect our political landscape... crying

As Singaporeans getting older every year,
the issue getting hotter.
[+] 1 user Likes watchfirst9's post

WHY?
Because the white country selling thieves import millions of foreign traxhes.
Older workers are doubly discriminated by their age and them being a Stinkies 
HUAT HAR  Gesti-109

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Tangsen's post

(06-11-2021, 11:23 AM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  As Singaporeans getting older every year,
the issue getting hotter.

At age 50+ it is very hard to land a job, even with a professional degree...that is the current situation we are facing... Angry
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

(06-11-2021, 12:39 PM)debono Wrote:  At age 50+ it is very hard to land a job, even with a professional degree...that is the current situation we are facing... Angry

What do you think the govt should do to improve the situation?

(06-11-2021, 12:52 PM)forum456 Wrote:  What do you think the govt should do to improve the situation?

The garment should open another training school for these over the hill professionals to make use of their qualifications and experience, else it is a loss of good resources... crying

For years, all the MOM measures to help local unemployed is just lip service. Telling people to go retraining and firms to advertise 2 weeks before hiring foreigners are just half fook measures by MOM, kicking the can down the road. Only when voters want to vote them out for their incompetency then they listen.

lol, hypocrites, Gov itself actually don't hire those 40s and above partly TOO MANY OLD civil servants inside.
[+] 3 users Like [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(06-11-2021, 01:22 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  lol, hypocrites, Gov itself actually don't hire those 40s and above partly TOO MANY OLD civil servants inside.

Civil servants can opt to retire at 65 or 70.... Angry

That why the street full of grabfood driver or cyclist so many of them with a brink of your eyes can see one passed by. If jobs pay well why do this people work as grabfood deliverer? Secondly if jobs you willing take lesser pay they will look at your ages? That why jobless.

(06-11-2021, 01:29 PM)Cmpunk Wrote:  That why the street full of grabfood driver or cyclist so many of them with a brink of your eyes can see one passed by. If jobs pay well why do this people work as grabfood deliverer? Secondly if jobs you willing take lesser pay they will look at your ages? That why jobless.

Say what you like, in Singapore if you are past 45 yeas old, it will be a herculean task to land a job, cos hirers thinks that it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks..haiz.. crying

(06-11-2021, 12:26 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  WHY?
Because the white country selling thieves import millions of foreign traxhes.
Older workers are doubly discriminated by their age and them being a Stinkies 
HUAT HAR  Gesti-109

BINGO!

Yes, the stupidity of JoTeo + Ong YK + Shanm+ Lawrence + Tan SL + . . .  has FREE EASY Employment Pass for nearly 1 Billion degree holders in the World to come to SG.

1. With us attending 100 Skills Courses, also cannot beat them.

2. With them having  degree holder from India, China, Japan, UK, Australia  . . .all earn above $4500 per mth of EP criteria

The EP has big serious flaw in the past 8 years. 

PAP make us attending courses is only a LAME Excuse for their Traitorship Scheme against us.

(06-11-2021, 01:22 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  lol, hypocrites, Gov itself actually don't hire those 40s and above partly TOO MANY OLD civil servants inside.
Becos civil service don’t retrenched staffs and they work until they die.

(06-11-2021, 01:26 PM)debono Wrote:  Civil servants can opt to retire at 65 or 70.... Angry

why a lot old civil servants till inside, they know they can't get the same pay IF go to private next job is safe still. As long never got into offence like sexual stuffs you are good all the way retire at 70

They do have pay cut BUT STILL GOOD , compare the age of a 60s working as civil servant than those in private mostly cleaners, security guards or never work anymore

BEST PART still can do " side line , business just use wife name or relative name to avoid HR question much "

BEST EVEN , literally nothing much to do actually those Young civil servant will have a lot work to do so call " learn " ironic those old civil servant literally daily no much work to do lol as those young civil servant cover their work so call " learn more "

(06-11-2021, 09:53 AM)forum456 Wrote:  https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/singapore-mature-pme-unemployed-job-search-wsg-2293696

A former managing director, Siva has been looking for a job for seven years ever since he was retrenched at age 52.

The Singaporean mechanical engineer was one of the applicants who turned up at a job fair at Kampung Admiralty on Oct 26 to try his luck.

He has more than 30 years of experience in oil field drilling equipment manufacturing and seven years ago, his salary as a managing director was about S$10,000. But he was let go in 2014 after oil prices collapsed, he said.
my brother in law migrated to US for >30 yrs said over there u are not req to fill in yr AGE N DATE OF BIRTH.
it is agaist the law
if this is not stopped then those over 40yrs of age can fprget to be re employed in another company.

Siva, who did not wish to share his full name, has attended courses in project management and information technology but when he applied for IT jobs, he was told that he did not have the relevant experience.

Recently, he interviewed for an operations role at a public transport company. He was told that he was too highly qualified, even though he was willing to accept an entry-level position and pay of about S$3,000, he said. He feels that his age is a factor.

“Wherever I go interview, they say: ‘You are highly qualified.’ And maybe they will ask one question: ‘What is your age?’” he said.

“Today also the same question: ‘What is your age?’ Then I say I'm 59 (and) maybe my interview will last for less than two minutes.”

His eyes reddened as he recounted how he struggled to find work. When asked if he had considered becoming a private-hire driver, he asked: “Where can I go to apply for that?

Mr Helmy Osman, 50, left the corporate world to set up an events company in 2019. Then COVID-19 hit, and he had to start looking for a new job as business dried up.

He got a contract position as a customer service adviser in October, but the pay is less than a quarter of what he used to get as a senior executive or running his own business.

And this came only after more than a year of searching for employment and sending out more than 50 applications.

Due to his age, he felt that interviewers were not convinced that he was digitally savvy, even when he said he had a Tik Tok account and had gone for courses to brush up his digital skills.

Mr Osman did a five-month digital marketing course and also took a data analytics course for about half a year. He also has a Workforce Skills Qualifications diploma in digital, retail and e-commerce.

He said that when he applied for a more junior executive position in a new industry, he was told he was overqualified, but when he goes for managerial roles, he was told he didn’t have the relevant experience.

“I'm embracing what the Government wants - to take up all my courses, which I did. But I don't have someone who wants to give me the opportunity,” he said.

Mr Julian Ang, 47, returned to Singapore from Canada about a year ago. He was working in aircraft maintenance but lost his job when airline traffic plummeted due to the pandemic.

With the airline industry in the doldrums, the degree holder, who also has an Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Technology diploma from Canada which is not recognised here, he decided to try other areas of work.

He told CNA that he was keen to get on the Career Conversion Programme (CCP) but was rejected when he applied for the Singapore Institute of Technology’s (SIT) Physiotherapy programme under the CCP.

He then appealed through his Member of Parliament but the appeal failed.

The rejection letter, seen by CNA, states that competition for the programme was stiff and that Mr Ang should “seek relevant full-time work experience of one to two years in the related healthcare sector”, before applying again.

CNA understands that for certain courses under the CCP, particularly in healthcare, applicants with some work experience stand a higher chance of getting onto the course - after which they can get CCP grants to pursue their studies.

But given that the CCP is for people who want to switch to a new sector, Mr Ang felt disappointed.

He added he was willing to be retrained and bonded to a healthcare institution even at his age, but his experience “doesn’t match” what the Government programmes seem to promise, which made his job search all the more frustrating.

“It's very difficult because people either think you're too old, you cost too much; or if you try to look for something a lot ‘lower’, people think: ‘Is there something wrong with you?’” he said.

All these retraining, extending retirement age, are all wayang wayang only. It has to be put into law to be effective.

PAP rejected all these comments 5 years ago.

SPH refused to published these feedback in the forum pages.

MPs in MTP Sessions just tell the middle- age/ elderly to waste time on CareersFuture & SkillsFuture.

JoTeo, herself also don't bother to tackle these problem under her tenure.

MOM has 8 Idiot sister- agencies to shelve away the many problems to cover the arse.

LHL allow unqualified scums like Tan Chuan Jin, Lim Swee Suay and her, to helm this position.

Better u don't scold PAP
The fault is yours.
How is dat u ask
After the pig fat wat u do?
U become the meat
and foreigners hungrier cheapo will work for less grains.
Now come Klaus schwab
wat PAP do
Get closer to Schwab
and wat Schwab wants.....

(06-11-2021, 03:16 PM)5354 Wrote:  Ladies and gentlemen

In a meritocratic society like Singapore

There will always be winners and losers

For every jobless loser like talent or ola

There are winners like Temasek CEO, Josephine Teo, TSL

Or 5354

All here agree?

agree on this:
Many will b poor so support the above.

Labour....supply and demand....works on the same principles as that for materials.

You want to find a job, you are the supplier. The company wants to find a worker, it is the buyer. It is a free market....

Asking why a company does not want to hire an older worker who is past 40 is like asking white knights in shiny armours why they don't want to date a lau chabor.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, just remember that the world does not owe you a living man. If you think you are so good, start your own company, and employ yourself.

(06-11-2021, 03:09 PM)5354 Wrote:  Ladies and gentlemen

Just now I went to Courts Toa Payoh to buy fridge

There is a sign outside that says "We are hiring"

I was served by a young guy, he very courteous

After that I went to look for electric kettle and the old ccbai auntie very rude so I walked away

There are reasons why employers detest old ccbai like talents

Get it?

[Image: NIaOgeJ.jpg]

No wonder your LJ on your shoulders with CCBAI mouth.

This refrig has nothing to do with jobs.

All here agree??

(06-11-2021, 03:27 PM)5354 Wrote:  Ladies and gentlemen

Do you know why 5354 is a winner like Temasek CEO, Josephine Teo, or TSL?

The answer is in the high school photo below

Can you see from 5354's facial expression, posture and dressing that he is BOLD and CONFIDENT and DIFFERENT from the others in the photo?

Talents also showed her photo when she was young, in her early 20s when she looked hot like a prostitute but she lacked poise and confidence, that is why she is a loser today

Song boh?

You are just a sore loser with a Elephant in the Room all the time.

You are so confident and can only get a lousy temp job for $6/ hr ( or $7.20 with CPF) with half page resume like a hawker center cleaner). 

Why so unhappy and must whine like a fcking retarded moron all the time?

You are like a wreckage from the garang guni flea market thinking you have value by False Optimism.

Even your new house looks like Garang Guni standard that nobody likes. You totally lack the 3 Basics needed for Home Design skills.

(06-11-2021, 03:52 PM)Ola Wrote:  You are just a sore loser with a Elephant in the Room all the time.

You are so confident and can only get a lousy temp job for $6/ hr ( or $7.20 with CPF) with half page resume like a hawker center cleaner). 

Why so unhappy and must whine like a fcking retarded moron all the time?

You are like a wreckage from the garang guni flea market thinking you have value by False Optimism.

Even your new house looks like Garang Guni standard that nobody likes. You totally lack the 3 Basics needed for Home Design skills.

Don't get upset with this muddysia beggar thief lah … zero contribution to society is not worthy to waste your time on

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(06-11-2021, 12:52 PM)forum456 Wrote:  What do you think the govt should do to improve the situation?

They will not do anything, or rather just close down this website or ban people from writing comments.

[Image: Screenshot-20211106-174437.png]

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

(06-11-2021, 05:47 PM)Symmetry Wrote:  They will not do anything, or rather just close down this website or ban people from writing comments.

[Image: Screenshot-20211106-174437.png]

Closing the website or banning it will not have inputs from the man in the streets, It will be to the garment's disadvantage, cos they don't know how the ground feels..... nudie