SG Talk

Full Version: MY, TH agree to conduct KL-Bangkok HSR feasibility study, says PM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
BANGKOK, Feb 26 — Malaysia and Thailand have agreed to carry out a feasibility study for a high speed rail (HSR) route between Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the agreement was reached in his meeting with Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha at Government House here in conjunction with his first official visit to Thailand.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/...pm/2044109
More like “study on how to get more under-the -table goodies”
Thailand had best concentrate on how to finish its own HSR a.s.a.p. For years, their section of the HSR was mired in bureaucracy and vested interest infighting with very slow progress. Now that the Laos - Yunan line is up and running with flourishing trade posing intense competition for its exports, there is a sudden realization that people are moving on and hence the flurry of government activities to speed up the HSR.

Malaysia is worse. Thailand for all its frequent coups and changes in government has a very stable and united ruling elite base who can stay the direction however slow, Malaysia on the other hand pratas in and out depending on who is in charge.
Hope they dun get SG involved ……
(27-02-2022, 11:30 AM)maxsanic Wrote: [ -> ]Thailand had best concentrate on how to finish its own HSR a.s.a.p. For years, their section of the HSR was mired in bureaucracy and vested interest infighting with very slow progress. Now that the Laos - Yunan line is up and running with flourishing trade posing intense competition for its exports, there is a sudden realization that people are moving on and hence the flurry of government activities to speed up the HSR.

Malaysia is worse. Thailand for all its frequent coups and changes in government has a very stable and united ruling elite base who can stay the direction however slow, Malaysia on the other hand pratas in and out depending on who is in charge.

Agree. A HSR between BKK and Malaysia is definitely not economically viable now as population density in Southern Thailand is too low.

Building a cheaper standard guage elevated double-tracked line like the new Malaysia ECRL will be more cost effective at this moment.
Malaysia ECRL has a max speed of 160km/h similar to Laos HSR and is dual use for both passenger & freight.
The Thailand new line can then link up with the Malaysia ECRL and will also complement the proposed container land bridge and new seaport in the Ranong area.

Note: I don't mind taking it next time to visit Kuantan or Trengganu again unlike last time when I had to take an overnight bus from Golden Mile, only reaching the Redang area the next morning!
Thailand junta didn't learn from SG dealings with bolehland. If bolehland mentions HSR, just siam asap.
(27-02-2022, 01:00 PM)sgxin Wrote: [ -> ]Agree. A HSR between BKK and Malaysia is definitely not economically viable now as population density in Southern Thailand is too low.

Building a cheaper standard guage elevated double-tracked line like the new Malaysia ECRL will be more cost effective at this moment.
Malaysia ECRL has a max speed of 160km/h similar to Laos HSR and is dual use for both passenger & freight.
The Thailand new line can then link up with the Malaysia ECRL and will also complement the proposed container land bridge and new seaport in the Ranong area.

Note: I don't mind taking it next time to visit Kuantan or Trengganu again unlike last time when I had to take an overnight bus from Golden Mile, only reaching the Redang area the next morning!

Yes, it likely to be 'near' HSR  Big Grin
Later will cancel the agreement.