‘I’m Singaporean, not Chinese’: TikTok video sparks debate over shunning of ‘roots’

‘I’m Singaporean, not Chinese’: TikTok video sparks debate over shunning of ‘roots’

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/lifestyle...e=rss_feed
[+] 1 user Likes Bigiron's post

Racial harmony and One S'pore would be so much easier to achieve if the Govt got rid of the CIMO classification. Why can't we be a melting pot with ALL of us referred to as S'poreans? Why must we be divided and ruled like this?

No worry.
Our NRIC shows we are Chinese.
Well done Pap. 🖕
[+] 4 users Like Alice Alicia's post

我是新加坡华人 不是中国人。中国很伟大 我也骄傲
[+] 3 users Like Harry Lee's post

We are Singaporeans first. Race comes second.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like starbugs's post

I am Singaporean Chinese. Why would I want to be associated with tiongs? Laughing

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like p1acebo's post

If we are the melting pot, we won't see so many ceca in Changi Business Park or dbs.

(10-05-2024, 04:45 PM)Clyde Wrote:  If we are the melting pot, we won't see so many ceca in Changi Business Park or dbs.

A melting pot of races among true blue S'poreans instead of CIMO.  

(10-05-2024, 04:43 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  I am Singaporean Chinese.  Why would I want to be associated with tiongs? Laughing

Pls ask your grandfather
[+] 1 user Likes Harry Lee's post

(10-05-2024, 04:50 PM)Harry Lee Wrote:  Pls ask your grandfather

Ask my grandfather?  He dieded in sg even before I was born.  Presumably he and my grandma left china to Singapore in search of a better life.  There you have it.

Nationality has nothing to do with race.  Only low ses sgreans and boomer chinese helicated (that's where helicopter came about due to their inability to enunciate in proper English) like to associate with their perceived "motherland" because of their own poor self esteem.

My motherland is Singapore, not China.  I can appreciate tiong culture, but I know I am never one of them, or want to be Smile

I do NS to fight and defend Singapore.  Not tiongkok Smile

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(10-05-2024, 04:50 PM)Harry Lee Wrote:  Pls ask your grandfather

In my case, both my paternal and maternal grandfathers were born in Malaysia. They never even set foot in China in their lifetime.

(10-05-2024, 04:36 PM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  No worry.
Our NRIC shows we are Chinese.
Well done Pap. 🖕

OYK Nric showed as Han. Rotfl

Smile
[+] 3 users Like Niubee's post

(10-05-2024, 04:48 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  A melting pot of races among true blue S'poreans instead of CIMO.  

Don't be naive. Many businesses entities are controlled by new citizens and they prefer to hire back their same kind from overseas.
[+] 2 users Like Clyde's post

My advice to Chinese Singaporean NOT to shed their identity of being Chinese.

In the toughest of time esp war time, yr roots matter alot and will be grouped and help as such.

Singaporean are good to use during peace and harmony time.

Smile
[+] 4 users Like Niubee's post

(10-05-2024, 04:57 PM)Niubee Wrote:  OYK Nric showed as Han.  Rotfl

Could be the ICA want a more polite word for cunt. 😅
[+] 1 user Likes Alice Alicia's post

(10-05-2024, 04:41 PM)Harry Lee Wrote:  我是新加坡华人 不是中国人。中国很伟大 我也骄傲

华人就对了。新加坡华人更准确些
[+] 2 users Like WhatDoYouThink!'s post

People talk about Nationality, lah

Talk about race for what?

Make people do DNA Test arh?

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 2 users Like Ola's post

(10-05-2024, 04:53 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Ask my grandfather?  He dieded in sg even before I was born.  Presumably he and my grandma left china to Singapore in search of a better life.  There you have it.

Nationality has nothing to do with race.  Only low ses sgreans and boomer chinese helicated (that's where helicopter came about due to their inability to enunciate in proper English) like to associate with their perceived "motherland" because of their own poor self esteem.

My motherland is Singapore, not China.  I can appreciate tiong culture, but I know I am never one of them, or want to be Smile

I do NS to fight and defend Singapore.  Not tiongkok Smile

Next time ppl ask you tell them you're 华人 or 新加坡华人
[+] 2 users Like WhatDoYouThink!'s post

Chinese= China

Aussie= Australia

So he is very right to say he is Singaporean.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(10-05-2024, 04:57 PM)Clyde Wrote:  Don't be naive. Many businesses entities are controlled by new citizens and they prefer to hire back their same kind from overseas.

The govt can do more to promote racial harmony. The preference of CECA bosses and managers is beyond our control; only Pay and Pay can do something about it, but they aren't doing so!  
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(10-05-2024, 05:59 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  The govt can do more to promote racial harmony. The preference of CECA bosses and managers is beyond our control; only Pay and Pay can do something about it, but they aren't doing so!  

Village people Big Grin

(10-05-2024, 04:14 PM)Bigiron Wrote:  ‘I’m Singaporean, not Chinese’: TikTok video sparks debate over shunning of ‘roots’

Singaporean Chinese is perfectly correct. We are Singaporean nationality with Chinese race roots. In Mandarin, we are 新加坡华人。

However, in China, the word Chinese is nationality 中国人。So there is a difference in interpreting the word Chinese.

Therefore we should make it very clear, before mixing up the word Chinese between 中国人 with 华人。

What are Chinese citizens called?

The term zhongguo renmin (Chinese: 中国人民), "Chinese people", was the government's preferred term during the early communist era.
[+] 2 users Like moonrab's post

(10-05-2024, 04:14 PM)Bigiron Wrote:  ‘I’m Singaporean, not Chinese’: TikTok video sparks debate over shunning of ‘roots’

I am Han and Singaporean not Chinese.

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love

(10-05-2024, 06:28 PM)moonrab Wrote:  Singaporean Chinese is perfectly correct. We are Singaporean nationality with Chinese race roots. In Mandarin, we are 新加坡华人。

However, in China, the word Chinese is nationality 中国人。So there is a difference in interpreting the word Chinese.

Therefore we should make it very clear, before mixing up the word Chinese between 中国人 with 华人。

The term zhongguo renmin (Chinese: 中国人民), "Chinese people", was the government's preferred term during the early communist era.

Chinese is a nationality not a race. Our race is actually Han.

Got proof? If no proof, can claim to be anything

(10-05-2024, 06:28 PM)moonrab Wrote:  Singaporean Chinese is perfectly correct. We are Singaporean nationality with Chinese race roots. In Mandarin, we are 新加坡华人。

I am anti communist Big Grin

(10-05-2024, 06:31 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Chinese is a nationality not a race. Our race is actually Han.

In general, Chinese word use to define a race or ethnic group. Singapore Chinese, Malaysia Chinese, Indonesia Chinese....华人。

But Chinese to the citizens of China is 中国人。。。🤣🤣🤣

(10-05-2024, 06:38 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  I am anti communist Big Grin

Please don't further complicates the word Chinese definition 🤣🤣🤣

Race or Nationality or Communist 🤪🤪🤪

(10-05-2024, 06:40 PM)moonrab Wrote:  Please don't further complicates the word Chinese definition 🤣🤣🤣

Race or Nationality or Communist 🤪🤪🤪

Laughing

Some Indonesian Chinese call themselves hua chiao I think Thinking

[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(10-05-2024, 06:38 PM)moonrab Wrote:  In general, Chinese word use to define a race or ethnic group. Singapore Chinese, Malaysia Chinese, Indonesia Chinese....华人。

But Chinese to the citizens of China is 中国人。。。🤣🤣🤣

8 billion peepur, if you say to them you are Chinese, they will think you are a citizen of China.

We used it WRONGLY to refer to our race. Our race is actually Han 

Singapore Chinese, Malaysia Chinese.... that's nonsense.