A Singapore ST reader unhappy and upset with biased and demonising stance....

(03-01-2023, 05:39 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Straits publishes plenty of bad news and negativity towards USA.

Bad news, negative news but not negative views/opinions based on biased or distorted "facts" like what they have been doing with China!
[+] 1 user Likes cityhantam's post

(03-01-2023, 05:39 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Straits publishes plenty of bad news and negativity towards USA.
Everyday there is more negative news about US than anywhere in the world.

There is no bias

There are may fanboys and sympathisers of China who are sensitive and wants our media only to report good about China.

It's not about neutrality.

[Image: KXY8uMQ.jpg]
[Image: 41gZLjw.jpg]

Ah butt You understood the differences between biased and fact ?!! 

Opasnie-1

(03-01-2023, 04:54 PM)maxsanic Wrote:  I don't really buy into this idea that ST is deliberately taking a stance against China. The Singapore government has already articulated an official policy of neutrality and in reality is slowly pivoting from a de facto pro-US stance to that of real de facto neutrality or even slightly onto China's side at present. It is not in the government's self-interest to instruct the state controlled ST to purposely sing a different tune to its citizens.

In my opinion, the negative anti-China ST news reporting is largely a result of:

1) Insufficient funding for ST due to loss making and which has resulted in an increasing reliance on simply buying republishing rights of articles from other western news channels rather than coming up with original journalism. The lack of funds also impedes the investing in onsite reporting by staff and as a result ST lacks any real first hand information on what is happening besides maybe the area surrounding Beijing and Shanghai hotels and government media reception venues. 

With such a limited active geographical space, English language journalists again end up interacting with Anglo-Saxon counterparts to try and get additional intel which further reinforces the negative feedback loop.

2) As with most other industries, our open door FT policies have resulted in a large number of Indian nationals joining ST in both onsite operational and back office support functions. Specifc events aside, Indians and Chinese generally do not have a favorable view of each other and it is only natural they will try and report each other in a negative light. There seems to be some sort of basic editorial check and balance (otherwise it would have become another NDTV or Hindustan Times), but it's clearly insufficient.

3) Lack of cross pollination of ideas and info channels between the English and Chinese newsroom. Unfortunately in order to really know China and report accurately, one needs to marinate in both Chinese official media and online social media universe. This requires very strong Chinese language skills which ST journalists are clearly lacking in and if SPH doesn't actively try to encourage cross functional interaction between the the ST and ZB news desks, the people at ST side really have nobody to turn to. Nobody is going to translate what goes on in the Chinese metaverse or happenings in Chinese municipal towns and villages. 

4) Too much reliance on "wrong" Chinese official news channels. I notice even when reporting things from the Chinese perspective, there's an unjustified reliance on Global Times, its retired chief editor Hu Xijin and occasionally Caixin for economic news. Caixin is decent, but you don't really get the full picture if you just rely on this one source. As for Global Times, this paper is a nationalist tabloid that only represents the views of a significant but minority in China. As for Hu Xijin, he is just an online influencer making use of his status as an ex-chief editor of the GT tabloid to expand his followers. Rank wise, he is a Zheng Ting, roughly the equivalent of a MX8/9 civil servant in Singapore, i.e. a Director / Head of Department in a stat board. His media status does not match his actual influence in real Chinese politics.

Based on the stance of our govt with Russia i already know that SG already picked side with Western countries, why Vivian still need to act blur? 

Singapore to impose sanctions on Russia, including bank transactions | Reuters

(03-01-2023, 06:13 PM)CHAOS Wrote:  Based on the stance of our govt with Russia i already know that SG already picked side with Western countries, why Vivian still need to act blur? 

Singapore to impose sanctions on Russia, including bank transactions | Reuters

China and Russia are not the same country, Singapore against Russia does not in any way imply anything on the government's stance on China.

China and Russia are not allies and China's official stance on the Ukraine war is that of neutrality i.e. it is a friend of both Russia and Ukraine. Everything it has done so far is consistent with the official policy. This is also further evidenced by the fact that both Putin and Zelenskyy have made overtures to try and win support from the Chinese to their side. For some inexplicable reason, both pro-US and pro-China supporters insist that China's neutrality is just for show and they really like Russia.

From what I can tell other than the usual brother / partner standard diplomatic talk and good personal rapport between Putin and Xi, the Chinese intelligentsia has always been very guarded against Russia and think EU is probably a more reliable and less threatening partner, not withstanding often the disunited Europeans can't seem to shake the US off their backs.

(03-01-2023, 01:39 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  不同心也不需要对着干嘛?干嘛要酱?是不是吃了太多干妈辣酱?

He PLP until so Chu min.  Rotfl
Now you shd know why he can’t 齐家lah.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(03-01-2023, 06:56 PM)maxsanic Wrote:  China and Russia are not the same country, Singapore against Russia does not in any way imply anything on the government's stance on China.

China and Russia are not allies and China's official stance on the Ukraine war is that of neutrality i.e. it is a friend of both Russia and Ukraine. Everything it has done so far is consistent with the official policy. This is also further evidenced by the fact that both Putin and Zelenskyy have made overtures to try and win support from the Chinese to their side. For some inexplicable reason, both pro-US and pro-China supporters insist that China's neutrality is just for show and they really like Russia.

From what I can tell other than the usual brother / partner standard diplomatic talk and good personal rapport between Putin and Xi, the Chinese intelligentsia has always been very guarded against Russia and think EU is probably a more reliable and less threatening partner, not withstanding often the disunited Europeans can't seem to shake the US off their backs.

"As a Western diplomat told me recently, Singapore’s situation is getting tougher. With pressure coming from both directions, it will become increasingly tricky to avoid choosing sides.”

The hard truth is only US are pressuring Singapore to pick side

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/07/14/sin...opolitics/

Bill Liu is no ordinary ST reader. That's also why the sph chairman bother to reply.

Bill should also ask why reporters are slienton foreign offenders but pronounced on Singaporean offenders... Perhaps citizens are as detestable as PRC... Lol

(03-01-2023, 01:23 PM)kelhot2001 Wrote:  The surname Liu means Tiong liao. Just let him earn his social credit points. Let’s be generous to our foreign “talents”.

I can understand non-Chinese like you fail to appreciate many SGreans with surname Liu... Including a few of our famous pioneer gen. Next time don't jump to conclusion without FACT checking. Rolleyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Thai_Ker

[Image: 8b4724c612dc97b232fea7991b5d88dd1db46126.jpg]

(03-01-2023, 07:10 PM)Sticw Wrote:  Bill Liu is no ordinary ST reader. That's also why the sph chairman bother to reply.
Bill should also ask why reporters are slienton foreign offenders but pronounced on Singaporean offenders... Perhaps citizens are as detestable as PRC... Lol

Without the sender's email address, it is hard to validate the authenticity.
Nevertheless, "Bill Liu" has rightly flag out increasing concern with apparent ST Editorial lack of impartiality in a new World Order dominated by East vs West context .

This justified concern will ultimately impact on SPH already falling credibility and readership.
I am sure some will take umbrage at my comment.  Big Grin

[Image: Screenshot-20230104-103257-Chrome.jpg]

Another with surname liu.