bad accident Dunearn Rd

(27-04-2023, 02:44 AM)S I M T A N Wrote:  Let's assume for the sake of argument that the BMW driver was driving within the speed limit when suddenly, out of nowhere, a man darted across the road into his path, giving him no reaction time to slam on the brakes or swerve sharply to avoid hitting and killing the jaywalker.

For that he faces not a lesser charge of negligent driving -- which is classified under traffic infractions as unintentionally failing to provide a safe environment for pedestrians or other road users -- but a more serious charge of dangerous driving causing one fatality. It prompted some casual observers to decry the charge as a travesty.

I think they have only scratched the surface of this problem without knowing the whole story. To my mind, the traffic police investigators and prosecutors do not any how bring charges against a person for the heck of it. They must have found sufficient evidence to convict the driver of dangerous driving even as they erected a signboard near the accident site appealing to eyewitnesses to come forward and talk to them.

Examples of dangerous driving: driving under the influence or while intoxicated or using a mobile phone, cutting in and out of lanes, weaving in and out of traffic, beating the red light, having poor control of the vehicle, disobeying traffic signals, driving at a speed or manner dangerous to the public. 

Stopped reading at "to the public".
[+] 1 user Likes Oyk's post

(27-04-2023, 07:59 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  When I was younger I was sibei kuai lan.  Whenever a car flashes his headlights at me I deliberately braked or slowed down even though I was already travelling 90km to 100km in the rightmost lane.  

Nowadays I stick to second lane.  I want to enjoy my retirement years in future Big Grin

Some drivers may still cut into your lane like this case at Namly junction.

(27-04-2023, 11:15 AM)sgxin Wrote:  Some drivers may still cut into your lane like this case at Namly junction.

Terrible drivers

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

How come still no Video of the man flying away?

(27-04-2023, 02:14 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  How come still no Video of the man flying away?

Sorry, no video clip of the “airborne pedestrian” has been forthcoming for your viewing pleasure and for investigators to get a grip on the crash. On a solemn note, this tragic car accident dramatizes the need for improvements in road safety.

(27-04-2023, 11:15 AM)sgxin Wrote:  Some drivers may still cut into your lane like this case at Namly junction.

The motorist needs to relearn the rules of the road; basics like making sure no one is in his blind spot before changing lanes slowly. The motorcyclist is held to be to some extent culpable. Instead of braking or slowing down when the car is pulling over into his lane, he throttles up and tries to beat the car. He does not practise defensive riding (driving for motorists) - a message drummed into our heads but fell on deaf ears. That said, the motorist is more culpable than the motorcyclist because he just cuts him (two-wheeler) off.

(27-04-2023, 08:43 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Stopped reading at "to the public".

That was quite untypical of you to read my post in its entirety, which is a departure from your tendency to read my previous postings up to a certain point. Anyway, I’m glad you read my post from first to last, and it’s given me fresh impetus to post quality write-ups from henceforth. Those that get to the point and peppered with facts and not those flying off at a tangent, convoluted and talking about other irrelevancies, something that you detest.

(26-04-2023, 05:06 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Stopped reading at "according to Sentinel"  Rolleyes

I can’t say I enjoyed the trading hairsplitting we engaged in elsewhere, but, to be fair, he made a good point here and I felt I had to flag it up. I wasn’t trying to earn brownie points from him. We have our differences, but he’s still one of my interlocutors.
[+] 1 user Likes S I M T A N's post

(28-04-2023, 03:04 AM)S I M T A N Wrote:  I can’t say I enjoyed the trading hairsplitting we engaged in elsewhere, but, to be fair, he made a good point here and I felt I had to flag it up. I wasn’t trying to earn brownie points from him. We have our differences, but he’s still one of my interlocutors.
  • It obviously enough triggered you so much that you had to respond to me twice. Seems pretty obvious as well that you lost sleep and were trying to get perhaps a few repu points from him and his clones. Rolleyes  

(28-04-2023, 11:28 AM)Oyk Wrote:  
  • It obviously enough triggered you so much that you had to respond to me twice. Seems pretty obvious as well that you lost sleep and were trying to get perhaps a few repu points from him and his clones. Rolleyes  

I feel we’ve been going around in circles with this ‘trigger’ remarks of yours. Let me set the record straight on a few points. Your allusion of Sentinel did not put me on the defensive. If anything, I didn’t feel anyone was criticizing me, nor was I losing sleep over anything, nothing of the sort.

I’m a pretty relaxed person and nothing ruffles me. Everything seems anodyne, incl your remark about Sentinel and my response to it that, while detailed, never savoured of defensiveness.

When I came into the forum, I came with a spirit of sharing as I plunged into the free exchange of info and views, and without a siege mentality. Repu points were the last thing on my mind. It is the content of what you have to say that counts, and repu points count for nothing if you hardly post anything of substance.

We should all be discussing matters of substance instead of getting into petty squabbles. Relax bro, and don’t let your imagination run away with you. Wink
[+] 5 users Like S I M T A N's post

(29-04-2023, 03:40 AM)S I M T A N Wrote:  I feel we’ve been going around in circles with this ‘trigger’ remarks of yours. Let me set the record straight on a few points. Your allusion of Sentinel did not put me on the defensive. If anything, I didn’t feel anyone was criticizing me, nor was I losing sleep over anything, nothing of the sort.

I’m a pretty relaxed person and nothing ruffles me. Everything seems anodyne, incl your remark about Sentinel and my response to it that, while detailed, never savoured of defensiveness.

When I came into the forum, I came with a spirit of sharing as I plunged into the free exchange of info and views, and without a siege mentality. Repu points were the last thing on my mind. It is the content of what you have to say that counts, and repu points count for nothing if you hardly post anything of substance.

We should all be discussing matters of substance instead of getting into petty squabbles. Relax bro, and don’t let your imagination run away with you. Wink
Stopped reading again.

At "Sentinel"