I went to buy sardine to stock up this is what I found....

(15-06-2022, 08:30 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The food situation is not improving anytime soon. Just saw reports of increased starvation in some poor countries.

As part of my stocking up decided to buy canned  sardines. These  be eaten for breakfast.

I checked NTUC. They sold 4 cans for $6 or $1.50 per can...155g per can

[Image: 4HfiEjA.jpg]

I dropped by value dollar shop I found the same sardine for 80cts so I purchased 20 cans since they are almost 50% cheaper than NTUC. 

When I got home, I examined the cans and saw this.
[Image: qTWFj4u.jpg]

The 555 sardines are canned in Philippines.

I did a further check and found that it retais for 17.25 pesos in Philippines - this is 45cts(Singapore)
[Image: 2KSqNj6.jpg]
In summary
NTUC - $1.50
Value$ - 80cts
In Phillipines - 45cts.(retail price)

When purchased from wholesaler, should be.muxh cheaper than 45cts.

Value$ ships it over and sells at roughly half the price of NTUC and stills makes a profit.

NTUC. "Fair price" is selling us at more than triple the retail price in Philippines.

if ntuc fair price's price is not fair, how to pay millions dollars to the CEO and many upper management?
[+] 1 user Likes drgn's post

Social Enterprise, must be a joke? Thinking

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(15-06-2022, 08:30 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The food situation is not improving anytime soon. Just saw reports of increased starvation in some poor countries.

As part of my stocking up decided to buy canned  sardines. These  be eaten for breakfast.

I checked NTUC. They sold 4 cans for $6 or $1.50 per can...155g per can

[Image: 4HfiEjA.jpg]

I dropped by value dollar shop I found the same sardine for 80cts so I purchased 20 cans since they are almost 50% cheaper than NTUC. 

When I got home, I examined the cans and saw this.
[Image: qTWFj4u.jpg]

The 555 sardines are canned in Philippines.

I did a further check and found that it retais for 17.25 pesos in Philippines - this is 45cts(Singapore)
[Image: 2KSqNj6.jpg]
In summary
NTUC - $1.50
Value$ - 80cts
In Phillipines - 45cts.(retail price)

When purchased from wholesaler, should be.muxh cheaper than 45cts.

Value$ ships it over and sells at roughly half the price of NTUC and stills makes a profit.

NTUC. "Fair price" is selling us at more than triple the retail price in Philippines.
pay extra $1.0 for transport, logistic , storage and sales ..?

When u watch how canned food being manufactured by machines doubt U want to buy more

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️
[+] 1 user Likes Lukongsimi's post

Those malay stall cook sardines with onions and cut red chilli and add their own formula of taste, very nice to eat but price become higher than 'fresh' from the can

(16-06-2022, 08:21 AM)drgn Wrote:  if ntuc fair price's price is not fair, how to pay millions dollars to the CEO and many upper management?

NTUC where got fair one leh? Ng Chee Meng is PAP one mah!
[+] 1 user Likes cheekopekman's post

Can you give us the inventory list of your stockpile inclusive of amount of each item and purchase price of the items? If practical we may adopt your inventory......... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

those sardines soaked in extra virgin olive oil shd be better? pay a bit more can save more on medicines later

(16-06-2022, 10:08 AM)cheekopekman Wrote:  NTUC where got fair one leh? Ng Chee Meng is PAP one mah!

Fairprice's mission is not to be the cheapest but as a price stabiliser so that other supermarts don't anyhow charge. So their prices are fair but not cheapest.

Now with so many big supermarts, time for fairprice to exit since their original mission is no more relevant.

But then, what's wrong with making more money (LKY)?

(15-06-2022, 10:22 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Of course if can I don't go and eat the can food...it's for emergency in case something happens.

You guy have no concept of contingency planning.

If I go and eat the canned food, I have no more when something happens.

Placee is full of jokers, why would I eat canned food if fresh food is available. The canned food is for when food supply is disrupoted or becomes unaffordable.

People have problem understanding a simple concept and logic.

Up to you lah, just a friendly advice. You can stock all you want while we continue to eat healthy food now and in the future.

But why you think you cannot afford it if prices go higher? If a smart guy like you can't afford, then what about those poor, old and uneducated people?

Fear and poverty thinking will haunt you all your life if you don't wake up now. Have confidence lah. You scare you starve to death? Then better start growing sweet potatoes lah

tactically and honestly, ah butt stocking up on food is due to foreseeable shortages or price hikes? or just self inflicted fear?

Chicken little all over again

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(16-06-2022, 10:50 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Fairprice's mission is not to be the cheapest but as a price stabiliser so that other supermarts don't anyhow charge. So their prices are fair but not cheapest.

Now with so many big supermarts, time for fairprice to exit since their original mission is no more relevant. 

another mission is to create posts to award friends.  this is still relevant.

(16-06-2022, 06:32 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Dog food.

I don't even understand why some people use sardines to make sardine puffs.

There is this stall selling triangular Teochew style baked puffs at Tampines Bus Interchange.  It's not those deep fried type like Old Chang Kee.

They have different kinds of fillings like curry potatoes, sardines, and what not.

I always ordered curry puff, but twice already, they gave me sardine puff which I absolutely hate.

I only eat fresh fish not canned fish.

Does curry sound like sardine?

Sometimes when I ask for curry puff, the woman would repeat my order in an obiang way "Kali bao"  She can't even pronounce "puff" when it is written there as "puff"

And after repeating "kali bao", she gave me sardine bao.

This chabor I can consperm, her miao miao stinks like the sardine!

Sentinel told me.   

So twice, I threw it away after one bite which I spat out.

And the prices had gone up from $1.80 to $2.00.

Curry nah!

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love

(16-06-2022, 11:02 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  tactically and honestly, ah butt stocking up on food is due to foreseeable shortages or price hikes? or just self inflicted fear?

There are 2 types of people in this world
1. One those who refuse to recognise a problem until it comes
2. Those who see a.potential problem and start preparing so they won't be caught off guard

Recent crypto crash ruin many people's finances why? Because they refuse to recognise the problem and simply wait for it to happen

https://www.iea.org/commentaries/how-the...ood-crisis

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(16-06-2022, 10:50 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Fairprice's mission is not to be the cheapest but as a price stabiliser so that other supermarts don't anyhow charge. So their prices are fair but not cheapest.

You support PAP sure support NTUC one lah!

(16-06-2022, 11:43 AM)cheekopekman Wrote:  You support PAP sure support NTUC one lah!

You support PAP?

[Image: Screenshot-20220616-114735-Chrome.jpg]

instead of stocking up, garment perhaps could encourage ppl to do this. a medium sized tank can keep 20 fish, that's about 20 cans of sardines. can grow veggies aso. it's a sustainable and healthier option
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink?'s post

(16-06-2022, 11:41 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  There are 2 types of people in this world
1. One those who refuse to recognise a problem until it comes
2. Those who see a.potential problem and start preparing so they won't be caught off guard

Recent crypto crash ruin many people's finances why? Because they refuse to recognise the problem and simply wait for it to happen

https://www.iea.org/commentaries/how-the...ood-crisis

If a famine hits Singapore, what you stocked up will ensure than you live a few weeks longer than others, before you also die.

Other countries will not export to us if there is a world famine.  Not too long ago, we experienced what Msia did to us with their cheekon exports right.

Btw, I read some forummers saying that you migrated from Muar.  So, I suppose you are buying time so you can escape from the famine here, and return to your homeland?  So, as you make your way back home, you will be carrying several tins of sardines in your bag....?

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love

Actually chenghu already got ready stockpiles for the populace. Mostly dried foodstuff. It is only the evil kateks and chicken littles trying to instill fear and chaos Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(16-06-2022, 11:53 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Actually chenghu already got ready stockpiles for the populace.  Mostly dried foodstuff.  It is only the evil kateks and chicken littles trying to instill fear and chaos Big Grin

Plse think through this logic

1. Since govt stockpile dried foods, it shows that the risk of something happening to disrupt food supply is very real.

2. In recent months warnings have been sounded by world leaders and organisations. Tye Russian war caused a fertiliser shortage will a few months down food productions will be affected.

3. If something does happen we shouldn't be dependent on govt stock pile along ....remember the mask supply? ...by preparing ourselves we do not have to strain the govt stock pile and let other Singaporeans have better access 

People can choose what they do. To be prepared or unprepared. 

It is up to you.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(16-06-2022, 11:48 AM)RichDad Wrote:  You support PAP?

No lah! I also never vote for them leh!

Still have canned food left n some already a year plus.pai Swee.

☝️

(16-06-2022, 02:45 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Still have canned food left n some already a year plus.pai Swee.

Check for expiry dates hor!

(16-06-2022, 02:47 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Check for expiry dates hor!

Yes got checked expiry date 2023/2024 still can eat.

☝️

(16-06-2022, 01:33 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Plse think through this logic

1. Since govt stockpile dried foods, it shows that the risk of something happening to disrupt food supply is very real.

2. In recent months warnings have been sounded by world leaders and organisations. Tye Russian war caused a fertiliser shortage will a few months down food productions will be affected.

3. If something does happen we shouldn't be dependent on govt stock pile along ....remember the mask supply? ...by preparing ourselves we do not have to strain the govt stock pile and let other Singaporeans have better access 

People can choose what they do. To be prepared or unprepared. 

It is up to you.

This stockpile strategy is not new.  Enough said Big Grin

So sad our SGtaker Buffett stressing over can sardine prices …. better change to sgbudget better

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(16-06-2022, 04:18 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  So sad our SGtaker Buffett stressing over can sardine prices …. better change to sgbudget better

It's just something I noticed about pricing of items.
Whether its a can or a laptop .shopping around can help u save some money...

think ah butt got a valid pont. aso need to stock up dog food and chicken feeds and what else hv long expiry dates?

salted eggs, century eggs, bee hoon, instant noodle, ...