More Malay parents sent children to Chinese schools in M'sia

(08-04-2024, 03:26 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  I already mention , Yea EVEN their civil servant those non chinese one also go learn Mandarin.
Whereas our side? Till now Dual language fail from LKY times till now.

Please lah - you tell me how many human can master 2 languages in an environment where competition for schools, jobs is fast and furious ?

And yet, countless M'sian parents can't get place in SG school.

You've got friendly neighbours? Grow Up! 李光耀 2013

(08-04-2024, 03:29 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  In S'pore, many Malay parents also choose to send their children to Christian schools as opposed to madrasahs or neighbourhood schools.  They know full well that their offspring will receive a superior holistic education at mission schools.

Oh...this is new - you attended "Christian school" in SG meh ? Laughing

Mission impossible schools?

Wow...more ethnic Malays in M'sia are switching to Mandarin... Big Grin

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asi...decade-ago

Like ermaos who hate and love china Laughing

(11-05-2024, 11:34 AM)Rubitin Wrote:  
(22-02-2024, 05:05 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Pro China or not - we all know Bolehland politics like to flip prata every few years.
M'sians now gotten sick and tired of that of all that "encouragement".
Today's Malay parents decision is a reflection of that failed long promises...... Big Grin
No past tense only present tense mentality is effective.
5years term contract is too short, maybe 10yrs per term? why die die must five. Big Grin

Like I said previously, M'sians has the choice to holding on to by-gone-years of Bumi-Previllages or adapt to a new world we are in now...
However, u need to  remember some ruling Elites are political opportunist  and often, like the US politics today, use "Communist" threat as an excuse to serve their own interest, not the M'sians at large.

Name calling oppie parties like MAC chief as "Commies" is the usual game - Clearly targeting the Chinese community in that country.
[Image: main-qimg-f1d3990e1f18e74c353b8d2d9c83d4c9-pjlq]

(22-02-2024, 05:06 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Nowadays most shops' signboards dun seem to have malay words, only Chinese and English. Any change in policies or ppl just dun care?

Mahathia on hearing this will be very worried.

(11-05-2024, 04:05 PM)Goldmine Wrote:  Mahathia on hearing this will be very worried.

Me thinks Bolehlanders are more worried what will come out from his mouth... Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

(22-02-2024, 04:25 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Nothing new - LKY last time never attend Chinese school nor learn Mandarin or Chiense language...only England and Bahasa Malayu...

After becoming a young adult post 1945 Jap invasion, he learn to dislike the English gov, wanted to join a "Malay" nation by mastering the Malay language...

Guess what happened in Aug 1965 ?

LKY was a Hakka baba lar..Peranakans speak Malay because their father is from China but their mother is a Malay. Children tend to learn to speak whatever their mother speaks and after a few generations, Malay or rather a form of Baba Malay is spoken by baba and nonya.

LKY speaking Malay is like your Pritam Singh speaking Punjabi as his mother tongue.

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love
[+] 1 user Likes Oyk's post

(23-02-2024, 04:09 PM)Harry Lee Wrote:  Dumbfart sinkees parents used to send their children overseas to avoid studying mandarin...

That generation which didn't learn Mandarin or learn it well is now in their 60s and 70s. It does not mean they are less Han just because their Mandarin is poor. They speak English peppered with Hokkien, Malay and some Cantonese, Hainanese and Teochew, which is true Singlish.

China was backwards at that time so there was no point in learning Mandarin.

Different languages for different era. Now Mandarin is important but last time it was not 

Did these boomers lose anything? Nope

(11-05-2024, 08:00 PM)Oyk Wrote:  That generation which didn't learn Mandarin or learn it well is now in their 60s and 70s. It does not mean they are less Han just because their Mandarin is poor. They speak English peppered with Hokkien, Malay and some Cantonese, Hainanese and Teochew, which is true Singlish.

China was backwards at that time so there was no point in learning Mandarin.

Different languages for different era. Now Mandarin is important but last time it was not  Did these boomers lose anything? Nope

CECA-minded Oyk touched  a very interesting FACT - Someone once said learning Chinese will not make you a living in SG...
For any Chinese-educated who graduated from Nantah or have little or no experience with other a European langauge, that period was a hard hard humbling experience. On top of that your children schooled with a subject called  "2nd Language"...

Borrowing that same question - Did those Chinese-educated boomers-gen lose anything in the 60s & 70s ?  I am sure many will agree they suffered immeasurably...
[Image: kuan-yew-quote1.jpg]

(11-05-2024, 07:42 PM)Oyk Wrote:  LKY was a Hakka baba lar..Peranakans speak Malay because their father is from China but their mother is a Malay. Children tend to learn to speak whatever their mother speaks and after a few generations, Malay or rather a form of Baba Malay is spoken by baba and nonya. LKY speaking Malay is like your Pritam Singh speaking Punjabi as his mother tongue.

CECA-minded Oyk touched another very interesting FACT - LKY grown up in an environment that was worlds away from a typical Chinese family - never learn, attended nor spoken Hakka nor Mandarin in 1st +30 years of his life.

LKY was more proficient in English, Bahasa Malayu and Japanese...until he witnessing something about the Chinese-educated after he entered politics....

So why did he changed his mind and insist in establishing Bilingualism in SG education system ?

Was it a shrud political move, a cultural awakening or he foresee the rise of China ?

[Image: Grayscale-Businessman-Quote-Twitter-Post-2.png]

Must be awakened by some humiliations

In the 1980s, LKY emphasised on the importance of learning Mandarine so that Singaporen Chinese of various dialects can have a common language. As you know not everyone know how to speak the various dialects. It is for the benefit of Singaporen to learn Mandarin so that all Singaporean Chinese of various dialect can communicate with one another locally and externally with China on business which he foresees one day will be a developed nation.  His foresight on China has come true.
[+] 1 user Likes Goldmine's post

(11-05-2024, 10:05 PM)Manthink Wrote:  CECA-minded Oyk touched another very interesting FACT - LKY grown up in an environment that was worlds away from a typical Chinese family - never learn, attended nor spoken Hakka nor Mandarin in 1st +30 years of his life.

LKY was more proficient in English, Bahasa Malayu and Japanese...until he witnessing something about the Chinese-educated after he entered politics....

So why did he changed his mind and insist in establishing Bilingualism in SG education system ?

Was it a shrud political move, a cultural awakening or he foresee the rise of China ?

[Image: Grayscale-Businessman-Quote-Twitter-Post-2.png]

Maothink went ranting about bilingualism as though Lky had committed a cardinal sin for being monolingual. 

Then he slapped his butt cheek and yelped aiya mama! LKY spoke English, Bahasa Malayu and Japanese. Damn it! Lky was trilingual! 

I would also like to point out that it's 
Melayu 
Notch Malayu

And if you want to write Bahasa which is Malay for language, then for Mao's sake, also write language for English and Japanese. 

Like this: English Language, Bahasa Melayu and Japanese Language

(11-05-2024, 10:52 PM)Goldmine Wrote:  In the 1980s, LKY emphasised on the importance of learning Mandarine so that Singaporen Chinese of various dialects can have a common language. As you know not everyone know how to speak the various dialects. It is for the benefit of Singaporen to learn Mandarin so that all Singaporean Chinese of various dialect can communicate with one another locally and externally with China on business which he foresees one day will be a developed nation.  His foresight on China has come true.

It also integrated the various dialect groups. Today the yoomers and zoomers all speak Mandarin while calling it their mother tongue. Most can't even understand their true mother tongue.

In the past there were clashes like those fights between the Hokkiens and Cantonese at the old Bishan cemetery.....dialectal segregation resulting in a disunited Singapore even among the Hans.

Today yangsters don't identify themselves by saying I am Hokkien, I am Hainanese etc. They'd say I am Chinese which of course is incorrect. They are Singaporeans and their race is Han.

There are about 1 m PG and MG still alive who due to habit and upbringing continue to speak their mother tongue, especially those chao Hokkien ah lau  Rolleyes

(11-05-2024, 09:54 PM)Manthink Wrote:  CECA-minded Oyk touched  a very interesting FACT - Someone once said learning Chinese will not make you a living in SG...
For any Chinese-educated who graduated from Nantah or have little or no experience with other a European langauge, that period was a hard hard humbling experience. On top of that your children schooled with a subject called  "2nd Language"...

Borrowing that same question - Did those Chinese-educated boomers-gen lose anything in the 60s & 70s ?  I am sure many will agree they suffered immeasurably...

[Image: IMG-20230806-WA0035.jpg]

Unlike other countries like Malaysia and Japan where their peepur could still get by with speaking their mother tongue, Singapore had a small population in our early days speaking several mother tongues.

These included Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese, Hakka, Shanghainese, Hainanese, Malay, Tamil, Malayalam, Punjabi, Arabic, Hebrew... 

It was already bad enough that each race drew boundaries that excluded the other races and these were both territorial and social boundaries. But even the early Chinese migrants identified themselves by their dialect groups and it was like a mini China during the Warring States era.

Singapore stood no chance of survival without a critical mass which spoke a common language. We could not choose any of the above without seeing blood 

English was neutral, and it was the most important language in the world at that taim. It was the right choice which brought in FDIs and created jobs. We would have failed and crawled back to Tengku if we had become communist and insisted on speaking the several spoken forms of Chinese 

English was what was needed. We learned it. Chinese is now needed and whether or not Mahatail likes it, Malay Malaysians are learning it nao.

In short, Singaporeans cannot afford to be sentimental about their roots, their mother tongue if being so means hunger and living in sluns. We have to be pramatic and learn to speak AND write whichever language is important ie put food on our table. Do you follow? Rolleyes

PS: Nice pigture you had above.

China is going to be the most powerful country in the world, so leaning Chinese is a smart move.

向钱看最重要。now china is getting stronger, so there're gd reasons to learn Chinese or some call it hanyue or putonghua or mandarin or huayue huawen zhongwen, ... 随便什么都可以啦

(11-05-2024, 07:42 PM)Oyk Wrote:  LKY was a Hakka baba lar..Peranakans speak Malay because their father is from China but their mother is a Malay. Children tend to learn to speak whatever their mother speaks and after a few generations, Malay or rather a form of Baba Malay is spoken by baba and nonya.

LKY speaking Malay is like your Pritam Singh speaking Punjabi as his mother tongue.

LKY's mother is not Malay, but do have Peranakans heritage 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chua_Jim_Neo

Years ago I was told by my Malay friend,
that the Malay language that LKY spoke is the Official Malay language like Mandarin use as official language
There are number Malay dialects, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOrzzqEubNs

Almost every countries have dialects that include Japan. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVwZosGJ6wA

Normally the Capital use language will be the official language.
[+] 1 user Likes watchfirst9's post

(22-02-2024, 04:14 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Smart parents

I remember having Malay classmates in my boys Christian school at both primary and secondary levels as well as in JC, back in the 1980s and 90s. The parents knew where their children would receive better quality education.

(12-05-2024, 01:40 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I remember having Malay classmates in my boys Christian school at both primary and secondary levels as well as in JC, back in the 1980s and 90s. The parents knew where their children would receive better quality education.

At Mala cart, ceca mart or mua zi?

(12-05-2024, 01:54 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  At Mala cart, ceca mart or mua zi?

Kindly write in intelligible English in order to be understood. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(12-05-2024, 02:40 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Kindly write in intelligible English in order to be understood. Thank you.

You no no singlish meh? I meant do you hail from chewhu? Since yr parents and relatives are there, must be lah

(12-05-2024, 10:40 AM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  LKY's mother is not Malay, but do have Peranakans heritage 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chua_Jim_Neo

Years ago I was told by my Malay friend,
that the Malay language that LKY spoke is the Official Malay language like Mandarin use as official language
There are number Malay dialects, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOrzzqEubNs

Almost every countries have dialects that include Japan. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVwZosGJ6wA

Normally the Capital use language will be the official language.

LKY spoke a standard of Malay in Malaysia's Parliament which was so high that the Malay MPs sitting there felt embarrassed because they couldn't speak like him. And LKY used Malay to talk a lot of sense which was the knockout punch. They all didn't like him.

Yes he spoke standard Malay.

(12-05-2024, 02:40 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Kindly write in intelligible English in order to be understood. Thank you.

He even had problems with China's hanyu pinyin.

He wrote yue for 语. yue is Pinyin for 月。I dunno what ranjiao he was writing there.....hanyue, huayue...Rolleyes

(12-05-2024, 09:39 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  China is going to be the most powerful country in the world, so leaning Chinese is a smart move.

China is already an economic powerhouse.

Now is the taim to send your chewren for Chinese lessons if you don't speak Mandarin at home. 

And those who do speak it at home should aim to speak and WRITE it even better. 

But not everybody can speak more than one language well. 

In our case, it's a disaster. Most Singaporeans can't even speak any language well not to mention two. They can speak a bit of elementary English and a bit of elementary Mandarin, that's about it.

When Singaporeans speak English to Westerners, they feel inadequate. When they speak Mandarin to the Chinese, the latter feel like they're listening to five year olds who have a very small vocabulary and can only speak in very simpurr sentences without the subtlety and beauty of the language.

(12-05-2024, 03:16 PM)Oyk Wrote:  He even had problems with China's hanyu pinyin.

He wrote yue for 语. yue is Pinyin for 月。I dunno what ranjiao he was writing there.....hanyue, huayue...Rolleyes

Diam diam lah, hanjian old man

(12-05-2024, 03:12 PM)Oyk Wrote:  LKY sppke a standard of Malay in Malaysia's Parliament which was so high that the Malay MPs sitting there felt embarrassed because they couldn't speak like him. And LKY used Malay to talk a lot of sense which was the knockout punch. They all didn't like him.

Yes he spoke standard Malay.

He hot how many ranjiao hair you aso know?

错了也不懂
懂了也不改

华乐?
汉乐?
音乐?
这是什么烂绞? Rolleyes