One person dead after severe turbulence on London-Singapore SIA flight

Singapore Airlines said the flight encountered sudden extreme turbulence over the Irrawaddy Basin at 37,000 feet about 10 hours after departure.

The pilot declared an emergency and diverted the aircraft to Bangkok, where it landed at 3.45pm local time

(22-05-2024, 08:12 PM)Tee tiong huat Wrote:  Singapore Airlines said the flight encountered sudden extreme turbulence over the Irrawaddy Basin at 37,000 feet about 10 hours after departure.

The pilot declared an emergency and diverted the aircraft to Bangkok, where it landed at 3.45pm local time

There was little warning of the chaos that was about to hit passengers on Singapore Airlines flight SQ321 on Tuesday (May 21).

With around three hours left on the journey from London to Singapore, Malaysian student Dzafran Azmir got the feeling that the Boeing 777-300R plane was tilting upwards and beginning to shake.

The 28-year-old braced himself and checked that he had his seatbelt on. He did. Many of the other passengers did not, he said.

"Suddenly there was a very dramatic drop so everyone seated and not wearing a seatbelt was launched immediately into the ceiling, some people hit their heads on the baggage cabins overhead and dented it, they hit the places where lights and masks are and broke straight through it," Azmir told Reuters.

"People dropped to the ground, my phone flew out of my hand and went a couple aisles to the side, people's shoes flung about."

SQ321 turbulence: Singapore Airlines apologises after injured passenger complains about carrier's silence.

23 May 2024
SINGAPORE: Singapore Airlines (SIA) apologised on Thursday (May 23) to an injured SQ321 passenger after he complained that the national carrier had not been forthcoming with information after the severe turbulence incident.

He had claimed that he did not receive info on whether he would be able to make an insurance claim, and that his wife, who is in intensive care, needed a medical evacuation.

One passenger died from a heart attack during the incident while many others were injured, with some in intensive care.

Speaking to media at Bangkok’s Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital from a wheelchair and with his head bandaged, Mr Davis said: "No info from Singapore at all, not a single word."
“I need to know, am I going through my insurance? I got no idea. I’m totally in limbo. My wife’s in ICU (intensive care unit), she’s in ICU, she needs a medevac (medical evacuation).” Responding to queries from CNA, SIA on Thurs said "apologises to Mr Keith Davis and his wife, and is providing them with the necessary support and assistance they need during this difficult time".

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...on-4358606

SQ321 turbulence: Singapore Airlines apologises after injured passenger complains about carrier's silence....

US make latest Boeing 787 model plane have, can detect turbulence..."Yes. The advanced radar systems on Boeing 787 at the cockpit combined with ground station database chart will able to either avoid turbulence or prewarn passengers to fasten their seat belts".

Boeing 787 after last svc problems is solved. Now Clapping Clapping Thumbs Up Thumbsup