S'porean man, 43, lost S$500,000 of life savings in OCBC phishing scam.

Amazing that anyone would put 500k in cash in a account, earning 0.0x% interest, only to lose it all like that.

https://mothership.sg/2022/01/singaporea...c-savings/

Must be very regretted never join SgTalk forum. 
I have warned,shown few times the scam messages and how to prevent from such low level scam trick. Rotfl

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 2 users Like RiseofAsia's post

Best advice from me.

Don’t click any link from the sms/WhatsApp or any online messages.
Always go to the Google/Bing/Yahoo etc to do the searching  for Whatever website you would want to visit.
Otherwise, call the bank by phone if you can wait more than 25mins to get a human to talk to you. Big Grin

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 2 users Like RiseofAsia's post

(19-01-2022, 06:31 AM)5354 Wrote:  Mai kia, this public servant has PAP behind him

He will get every cent back from OCBC

You forget minibond case? Rotfl

https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/...03-19.html

(19-01-2022, 12:45 AM)starbugs Wrote:  Amazing that anyone would put 500k in cash in a account, earning 0.0x% interest, only to lose it all like that.

https://mothership.sg/2022/01/singaporea...c-savings/

Must be a very risk averse person who thinks cash is king and safest to put in the bank. Why didn't he buy gahmen or temasek bonds with higher yields ?

Can save so much must be earning quite a bit or a really stingy guy. Sad case.
[+] 1 user Likes RichDad's post

OCBC sounds like a very jialat bank. Do they need a bank run to wake up?
[+] 1 user Likes winbig's post

(19-01-2022, 06:42 AM)winbig Wrote:  OCBC sounds like a very jialat bank. Do they need a bank run to wake up?

You shd have read my post right? Rotfl

(19-01-2022, 06:44 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  You shd have read my post right? Rotfl

成何体统? Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes winbig's post

Oversea vacation?

Someone felt that it can apply to any local banks here. They are likely to have the database. What database? Customers Phone numbers?

The first step to a bigger and easier step.
https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/tech-n...y-stealing

(19-01-2022, 07:03 AM)theold Wrote:  Oversea vacation?

Someone felt that it can apply to any local banks here. They are likely to have the database. What database? Customers Phone numbers?

The first step to a bigger and easier step.
https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/tech-n...y-stealing

Means what? All banks ibanking not safe?

Use token better.

Now, major overseas merchants also connect to your credit cards like water pipes. They give you a period of free main services with other subs. services but it comes with fine prints. Some 3 months while some 1 year free services. You will have to look at your credit statement after the period expired. But the statements are also going by electronic ways.
[+] 1 user Likes theold's post

OCBC incident response is also very, very poor. No accountability?

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

How many can save up $500k cash, have family and still holidaying during covid times?

Btw, Ocbc stock price haven't crash yet?

(19-01-2022, 07:53 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  OCBC incident response is also very, very poor. No accountability?

They waiting to use CDC voucher for Cat-100..
[+] 1 user Likes Sticw's post

Fact is OCBC will 100% know where the $$$ was transferred to, right? But can't arrest the receiver?

I once kena an unauthorised CITI credit card deduction to a USA company. It was a small amount but repeated over 2 months. I confronted C and was told they can't reveal who the receiver even though they know.

(19-01-2022, 08:01 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  Fact is OCBC will 100% know where the $$$ was transferred to, right? But can't arrest the receiver?

I once kena an unauthorised CITI credit card deduction to a USA company. It was a small amount but repeated over 2 months. I confronted C and was told they can't reveal who the receiver even though they know.

Next time just write to stomp/MAS. Rotfl

[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

(19-01-2022, 07:00 AM)5354 Wrote:  Lehman minibonds case like Hyflux or SembMarine

You buy you die your own fault

OCBC phishing scam is different, caused by OCBC's lack of security to protect customers's deposits

The people did not buy....they were sold these products while queuing at the bank told that they are safe and assured.

For me.as a young man, I went down to Hong Lim to meet the victims of the minibonds none would have suffered if they were not lured by bank staff to the products.

That event enlightened me on the meaning of  TRUST.

Once you can  push blame to others the system cannot be trusted.

And this is the hallmark of many in govt and authority

Through this incident I understood the character of PAP MPs better. They are career climbers and the MP position is part of their journey. Because the govt had taken a position early on jn the incident...none were willing to rock the boat and stand up for the victims.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

I urge all fellow citizens to put your money out from Banks and put into Stock Broker account.

I say again
Dont put money in banks. 
Buy bank shares.
[+] 1 user Likes Migrant's post

This scam is similar to the dbs scam, except that the scammer sent sms instead of calling the victim personally. If ocbc compensate the victim, then dbs should too, which I doubt so.

How come UOB has lesser problem?

(19-01-2022, 09:02 AM)theold Wrote:  How come UOB has lesser problem?

Don't say that. I have written to them asking them if scammer can transfer fixed deposit money to saving account.  They have not replied me.

(19-01-2022, 08:01 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  Fact is OCBC will 100% know where the $$$ was transferred to, right? But can't arrest the receiver?

I think you are not familiar with money laundering methods.

The criminal syndicates control many local accounts that cannot be traced to them this is done by buying accounts of foreign workers returning to home country for good and through layers of criminals who cannot be traced.

Using these accounts they set up remittance links to pay people in China or Phillipines ...these are also purchased accounts that cannot b traced to them.

Once money comes in their people withdraw from ATM or bank branch immediately.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(19-01-2022, 06:37 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  You forget minibond case? Rotfl

mini bond case is investment loss
this one tarnish spore financial hub status for asia
v great financail loss for spore financial industry
who will open a digital banking acct ?
[+] 1 user Likes talky's post

If just started and are picking up stream. sinkies sos.

Yah why can't catch I don't understand. Interpol can help to trace where the funds go to.

Unless they use mules and cashed out quickly. Go into cryptos or something. Arrest mules?

We have a big Interpol office here at Tanglin.

The first loop is the telephone numbers. It all started from here. The SMS senders from local banks need to be identified with loop back identifications for banking transactions and not IP addresses.

(19-01-2022, 06:42 AM)winbig Wrote:  OCBC sounds like a very jialat bank. Do they need a bank run to wake up?

why this case happen when a lady ceo takes over 
previously all man ceo no such problem

her chinese 8 characters not suitable for the bank ?

(19-01-2022, 08:20 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The people did not buy....they were sold these products while queuing at the bank told that they are safe and assured.

For me.as a young man, I went down to Hong Lim to meet the victims of the minibonds none would have suffered if they were not lured by bank staff to the products.

That event enlightened me on the meaning of  TRUST.

Once you can  push blame to others the system cannot be trusted.

And this is the hallmark of many in govt and authority

Through this incident I understood the character of PAP MPs better. They are career climbers and the MP position is part of their journey. Because the govt had taken a position early on jn the incident...none were willing to rock the boat and stand up for the victims.

This explains well...

[Image: ngiam.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like RichDad's post