am so Westernised...And yet, I self-identify as a Chinese

(12-02-2024, 01:43 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  if you want to become a roman  you got to goto rome and do what the roman do there 
right?

Easier said than done....
Does speaking Romans when in Romes makes you one of the local tribe ?
Goes back to the core of this Topic - Does speaking "English" makes a Chinese more "angmoh"  ? 
Canadian Chinese Alex explains nicely the cruel reality of his identity conflict as shared in my 1st post.

(10-08-2022, 11:26 PM)Manthink Wrote:  ...Of course I am anti-Western because I am so Westernised to the core, in my whole education and outlook. And yet, I self-identify as a Chinese, not a Canadian-Chinese, not Canadian-Hongkonger but simply a Chinese. Why? Because when I look in the mirror, I see a Chinese. Other people look at me and they see a Chinese, not a Westerner. They don’t see my wholly Westernised soul. When they hear me speak English, they hear my heavy Chinese accent. When I was young, I was ashamed of my accent. Now, like Martin Yan of Yan Can Cook, I deliberately exaggerate it; I am proud of it because my first language is Chinese (Cantonese).

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/art...wn-undoing

You've got friendly neighbours? Grow Up! 李光耀 2013

Like a lot of first-generation Americans, members of Vo’s troupe feel an urgency to keep traditions and their communities close.

Vo’s nieces, Mi Vo and Dao Than, have been dancing with him since he founded the Cultural Heritage Center. They were delighted to join, but they didn’t realize until they were older how much the practice would mean to them.

Their parents, and Vo, immigrated to the U.S. from Vietnam. Maintaining a connection their country was important to them, especially as their girls grew up without the cultural trappings they left behind. Than and Mi spoke Vietnamese in the house when they were kids; the lion dancing also helped instill them with a sense of where they came from.

https://denverite.com/2023/01/22/lunar-n...rtainment/

(13-02-2024, 11:01 AM)Manthink Wrote:  Easier said than done....
Does speaking Romans when in Romes makes you one of the local tribe ?
Goes back to the core of this Topic - Does speaking "English" makes a Chinese more "angmoh"  ? 
Canadian Chinese Alex explains nicely the cruel reality of his identity conflict as shared in my 1st post.

fark you lah

the best place to be is to be who you want you to be who ever you are

(13-02-2024, 11:09 AM)grotesqueness Wrote:  fark you lah
the best place to be is to be who you want you to be who ever you are

See ?  More profanity from grotesqueness when FACTS challenges his pride and prejudice.

I am starting to miss the civilised conversation I last had with p1acebo Big Grin

(13-02-2024, 11:14 AM)Manthink Wrote:  See ?  More profanity from grotesqueness when FACTS challenges his pride and prejudice.

I am starting to miss the civilised conversation I last had with p1acebo Big Grin

yes

if they fatk you better
please let them fark the better out from you

(13-02-2024, 11:21 AM)grotesqueness Wrote:  yes

if they fatk you better
please let them fark the better out from you

You love Angmoh cok so much ah?  Rotfl

(13-02-2024, 11:23 AM)cityhantam Wrote:  You love Angmoh cok so much ah?  Rotfl

We have to understand pple like grotesqueness who expresses more hate than love Online often struggles with reality.... Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

(13-02-2024, 11:28 AM)Manthink Wrote:  We have to understand pple like grotesqueness who expresses more hate than love Online often struggles with reality.... Big Grin

everything you see is all about HATE HATE HATE

my conservation may not be that of your REFINE standard

but it has nothing to do with HATE either

that's the way i roll

[Image: tumblr_nqsg9ijLoJ1rlyjgjo1_500.gif]

(13-02-2024, 12:07 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  everything you see is all about HATE HATE HATE
my conservation may not be that of your REFINE standard
but it has nothing to do with HATE either
that's the way i roll

Not that I am more "refined" than grotesqueness   (~Thank you very much)..

But rather the nick  he choose in SGTalk already shows the way he "roll"...

Big Grin

[Image: grotesquery.png]

[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

(13-02-2024, 12:38 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Not that I am more "refined" than grotesqueness   (~Thank you very much)..

Big Grin

remember in this place no one is God
so dont act like you are one

(13-02-2024, 01:00 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  remember in this place no one is God
so dont act like you are one

This is funni - 1st time to see the god-fearing grotesqueness thought that I am playing the All Mighty.

I must humbly reply that I am NOT the "Chosen one"... Big Grin

This may partly explain the higher avg IQ in other studies on East Asians - the ability to see things in wider scope while no missing the nuance.
This is also why Chinese understand the Americans far better than the other way.

Chinese and American people see the world differently – literally. While Americans (westerners) focus on the central objects of photographs, Chinese individuals pay more attention to the image as a whole. “There is plenty of anecdotal evidence suggesting that Western and East Asian people have contrasting world-views,” explains Richard Nisbett, who carried out the study. “Americans break things down analytically, focusing on putting objects into categories and working out what rules they should obey,” he says. By contrast, East Asians have a more holistic philosophy, looking at objects in relation to the whole. “Figuratively, Americans see things in black and white, while East Asians see more shades of grey,” says Nisbett. “We wanted to devise an experiment to see if that translated to a literal difference in what they actually see.”

[Image: Government-IQ.jpg?ssl=1]

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7...fferently/

(13-02-2024, 12:38 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Not that I am more "refined" than grotesqueness   (~Thank you very much)..

Big Grin

It simply means kokkup

(11-05-2024, 12:17 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  It simply means kokkup

yes those Chow Cheese Pie wumao are Grotesqueness and kokup

(11-05-2024, 05:50 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  yes those Chow Cheese Pie wumao are Grotesqueness and kokup

Hi, kokkup fellow!

(11-05-2024, 05:52 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Hi, kokkup fellow!

Hi

Chow Cheese Pie wumao
never wash own  Chow Cheese Pie again!

(11-05-2024, 12:17 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  It simply means kokkup

Looking at all the cursed and hate, it does reflect the same sort of experience that Alex experience as  Chinese Canadian... 

So what do they have to show other than calling you a "wumao" or "commie" simply because they disagree with you... 

Just ask S'prean Chew of what he experience in the Canada's only next-door neighborhood...

Big Grin 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHGyr7cfpTkrQYvVNanZu...l0-o2Rsw&s] [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhiF-tBkMZ8JTHniznAWr...gxei3LGg&s]