Taxi driver who was once MNC manager with master’s degree

(22-05-2024, 12:42 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Correct. Revenue less costs shd be their incomes, not profit

To the gig worker, his financial gain ( the difference between the amount he earns and the amount spent in operating his PHV i.e. rental, petrol etc. ) is his profit or income.  I guess PHV drivers don't take that into consideration.

Behkan is the reason why he was replaced.

(22-05-2024, 12:00 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Gig workers like PHV drivers and deliverymen seem to only refer to their revenue showing: the total amount of money earned from their blood, sweat and tears. They seem oblivious to the profit margin i.e. what portion of their takings contribute to earnings after their rental, petrol and other operating costs have been deducted.

Yar, it's nonsensical to compare gig revenue with a salary of a normal worker. 

To be fair it is within the realm of possibility to earn $8k as a taxi driver, but it involves driving very long hours and special circumstances like festive season, heavy rain etc. It is not right to paint an inaccurate picture of gig workers and make them sound like it's easy money with flexibility compared to being a full time employee.

One of my friends drives a PHV for supplement income during weekends, he costs out everything accurately (semi-retired former accountant) with spreadsheets and told me he makes about $150 - $200 nett per day on average. He knows the PHV circle well and told me most of his full time peers get anywhere from $3 - $5k+ per month depending on how many hours they clock.

Contrast this to all sorts of ridiculous numbers we often read thrown up all across the media and you can see why nobody is rushing to quit their jobs to be a taxi driver.

(22-05-2024, 11:48 AM)winbig Wrote:  Having a master degree is competing for those office job. Those who cannot study must acquire a skill. With a skill one can still make a living but of course not as seng nan as office job

Master in needed skills and knowledge. Start from entry-level then every 3-4 years job hop … fastest way to get increment. After 15+yrs should get a minimum 5 figures monthly salary

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(22-05-2024, 02:31 PM)maxsanic Wrote:  Yar, it's nonsensical to compare gig revenue with a salary of a normal worker. Contrast this to all sorts of ridiculous numbers we often read thrown up all across the media and you can see why nobody is rushing to quit their jobs to be a taxi driver.

I know several ex-colleagues and classmates who fell on hard times following retrenchment. Like me, these are people who are in their 50s. A few tried their hand at driving PHVs and/or cabs, but most gave up because they were earning a pittance. Thankfully, some found more success as real estate/insurance agents, MLM salespeople, private tutors or doing short term contract work.