Why are Singapore retirees not moving out of the world's most expensive place?

(06-12-2023, 05:08 PM)moonrab Wrote:  It is a myth about boredom in retirement. Time is something we sacrifice for $ when young. Once $ is sufficient, we buy back time for ourselves. After all, it is limited item in life. Everyday I feeling blessed in retirement. Wake up naturally, not force too. Do what I loved. Not what I need to.
Keep myself healthy through daily exercise at own times. Go walking, swimming, jogging or cycling, when everyone is working. Spent time with love ones 24/7. Looking up for good foods in hawker centers. Cycling with friends round trip Singapore 160km. Spending time to recap our younger days adventure. Once you hit 60s. Theoretically, you only left 10 to 20 years of quality times. Don't waste it for anything else in life.

I am in my early 50s, but already mulling over early retirement since I have lost the motivation to continue in an increasingly toxic environment at my workplace.  As I have sufficient funds to call time now on my career, my only concerns are boredom, lack of purpose and cognitive decline.  This is what many of my retired friends have shared about their own experience of stopping full-time work in their mid-50s to early 60s.

"10 Best Countries To Retire In 2023, According To The Global Retirement Index

PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO
These countries are phenomenal places to spend your golden years, according to the global retirement index."
https://www.thetravel.com/best-countries...nt%20index.

A usefulness is for elderly folks to mind children's children. Can the govt look into sth like 'childcare centre' at home where the elder folks help to look after babies, toddlers, preschoolers, aftercare schoolers? Why gives so much subsidies to all those childcare centres while neglecting a huge pool of able and capable seniors who can help mind little ones? Not all young couples can afford childcare services outside, some still prefer home care by grandparents, aunties, etc. More subsidies should be given to older folks at home for providing such services.

(11-12-2023, 10:24 AM)A2Z Wrote:  A usefulness is for elderly folks to mind children's children. Can the govt look into sth like 'childcare centre' at home where the elder folks help to look after babies, toddlers, preschoolers, aftercare schoolers? Why gives so much subsidies to all those childcare centres while neglecting a huge pool of able and capable seniors who can help mind little ones? Not all young couples can afford childcare services outside, some still prefer home care by grandparents, aunties, etc. More subsidies should be given to older folks at home for providing such services.

With instances of child abuse by childcare centre teachers and domestic maids on the rise, grandparents play an increasingly important role in keeping an eye on their grandkids while the parents are at work.   

(11-12-2023, 11:05 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  With instances of child abuse by childcare centre teachers and domestic maids on the rise, grandparents play an increasingly important role in keeping an eye on their grandkids while the parents are at work.   

Then govt should introduce 4-day work a week as well as encouraging more to work from home.

(11-12-2023, 11:35 AM)Scythian Wrote:  Then govt should introduce 4-day work a week as well as encouraging more to work from home.

My friend works 2 days from home, which helps him to keep an eye on his young children. If only more companies allowed this arrangement, more Sinkies will be willing to have kids. 
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(11-12-2023, 12:10 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  My friend works 2 days from home, which helps him to keep an eye on his young children. If only more companies allowed this arrangement, more Sinkies will be willing to have kids. 

Govt is afraid to turn CBD into ghost town

(11-12-2023, 10:17 AM)Scythian Wrote:  "10 Best Countries To Retire In 2023, According To The Global Retirement Index

PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO
These countries are phenomenal places to spend your golden years, according to the global retirement index."
https://www.thetravel.com/best-countries...nt%20index.

There are so many interesting places for SG retirees to go or settle down rather than loitering along the streets or gathering in coffee shops

Wasting time

Recently, many reports of increasing numbers of elderly people dying at home proven Singapore is poorly lacking community and healthcare services.

Obviously, they have no sense of connection.
In addition, reported hospitals bed crunch since Oct 2022 and nothing done for more than one year.

If elderly planned earlier to move to a far better place where there are provided better healthcare and medical services than Singapore.

(11-12-2023, 03:01 PM)Scythian Wrote:  Govt is afraid to turn CBD into ghost town

Landlords will scream for help when they cannot find enough tenants to lease office space in the CBD if more employees WFH.  Our Govt won't allow this to happen as many of these landlords enjoy a direct line to our leaders.

(12-12-2023, 04:50 AM)Scythian Wrote:  Recently, many reports of increasing numbers of elderly people dying at home proven Singapore is poorly lacking community and healthcare services. 
Obviously, they have no sense of connection. In addition, reported hospitals bed crunch since Oct 2022 and nothing done for more than one year. If elderly planned earlier to move to a far better place where there are provided better healthcare and medical services than Singapore.

In spite of free or affordable healthcare in welfare states overseas, the fact is that our seniors are afraid of being far away from their children, dying alone in a foreign land or simply don't qualify to be accepted as PRs or citizens in some of these developed countries. 

(11-12-2023, 03:03 PM)Scythian Wrote:  There are so many interesting places for SG retirees to go or settle down rather than loitering along the streets or gathering in coffee shops
Wasting time

Seniors are afraid to leave behind their family, relatives and friends when they move overseas, so they are content to loiter at shopping malls, coffee shops and the void decks chatting with their neighbours and friends. It's really as simple as that. 

(11-12-2023, 03:03 PM)Scythian Wrote:  There are so many interesting places for SG retirees to go or settle down rather than loitering along the streets or gathering in coffee shops

Wasting time

You must be jealous of these old folks. You will be treated as second class citizens with no friends or relatives once overseas. Will die of loneliness for them lah.

tomorrow will be a better day
[+] 1 user Likes surfer's post

(12-12-2023, 09:52 AM)surfer Wrote:  You must be jealous of these old folks. You will be treated as second class citizens with no friends or relatives once overseas. Will die of loneliness for them lah.

Actually Scy non stop running down Singapore, united many Singaporean over here. A blessing in disguise 🥸 🤣
[+] 1 user Likes moonrab's post

Wasting time

How about retire SG and travel the world frequently, and enjoy best of both worlds? Why so sad must leave your hometown, like migrant worker crying
[+] 1 user Likes lylcnn's post

(12-12-2023, 10:34 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  How about retire SG and travel the world frequently, and enjoy best of both worlds? Why so sad must leave your hometown, like migrant worker crying

Don’t think SG will welcome him back after he discarded his previous citizenship here lah. He prefers to live like a pariah in oz lah.

[+] 1 user Likes surfer's post

(12-12-2023, 10:34 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  How about retire SG and travel the world frequently, and enjoy best of both worlds? Why so sad must leave your hometown, like migrant worker

Every time I return from a vacation overseas, I appreciate S'pore more for my loved ones, food, convenience, familiar surroundings etc.  If not for the overcrowding, extremely high cost of living and hardship from Govt policies, S'pore could be a nice place to call home.
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(12-12-2023, 10:00 AM)moonrab Wrote:  Actually Scy non stop running down Singapore, united many Singaporean over here. A blessing in disguise 🥸 🤣

I have achieved my objective

Thank you.

(12-12-2023, 12:41 PM)Scythian Wrote:  I have achieved my objective

Thank you.

No need to thanks me. 🤣Complimentary will not gets you nowhere. 

We Singaporean only goes for our own objectives..😊
Yours is not important at all. Cheer!

(12-12-2023, 12:41 PM)Scythian Wrote:  I have achieved my objective

Thank you.

Many here can see your objective is to discredit the govt and everything in this red dot.
We will not be fooled by you lah.
No need to thank us.

(12-12-2023, 02:52 PM)surfer Wrote:  Many here can see your objective is to discredit the govt and everything in this red dot.
We will not be fooled by you lah.
No need to thank us.

You are lying

Show proof that my objective is to discredit the Govt?

(12-12-2023, 12:28 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Every time I return from a vacation overseas, I appreciate S'pore more for my loved ones, food, convenience, familiar surroundings etc.  If not for the overcrowding, extremely high cost of living and hardship from Govt policies, S'pore could be a nice place to call home.

(12-12-2023, 12:28 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Make up your mind asshole! Stay or leave?

Laughing Laughing