Why are Singapore retirees not moving out of the world's most expensive place?

(06-12-2023, 04:30 AM)Scythian Wrote:  Any of your family members living in exile?

We are good people and loyal citizens. 😊
[+] 1 user Likes moonrab's post

(06-12-2023, 07:52 AM)moonrab Wrote:  We are good people and loyal citizens. 😊

😊Jesus said no one is good except God
Loyal citizens is ok😄

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

(01-12-2023, 10:50 AM)Scythian Wrote:  Why are Singapore retirees not moving out of the world's most expensive place?

Certainly, there are far better life elsewhere.

We can go for vacations in other countries, for a few days or even a month, but it is not as if we want to migrate there, we can get some form of long staying pass hor.

We can go for the MM2H if we love that country so much, but not all Sinkies want to retire there.  Some think that China, Australia or Canada is better.  You tell me, how to get PR or some kind of LTVP there?

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love

(06-12-2023, 02:01 AM)Scythian Wrote:  People like you believed in everything @ face value.
But one size cannot fit all..

Eventually, PM Lee admitted Singapore is in a mess and politics is not as clean as Singapore image.

He "admitted" it because you say so? Rolleyes

(06-12-2023, 02:05 AM)Scythian Wrote:  You hit the nail on the head

Many Singaporeans still live like mountain tortoises

You live like king ?

☝️

(06-12-2023, 08:44 AM)Oyk Wrote:  He "admitted" it because you say so? Rolleyes

(05-12-2023, 02:20 PM)Oyk Wrote:  I more stupid eating an authentic Indian lunch cooked by an Indian chef.

Here's the dessert. Jin tasty. This one is international.  Tongue

[Image: stock-photo-poop-isolated-on-white-backg...572072.jpg]
[Image: lee-hsien.gif]

Laughing Laughing

(05-12-2023, 08:51 AM)moonrab Wrote:  Good to know your ancestors called Singapore a home. Retired over here after decades of nation building. So I presume, today you are a Singaporean too.

Now, this debunk the Vicious SCY calling for Singaporean elderly retirees to migrate. Kicking them out of Singapore, a place where they decided to call it Home. Sad.

SCY's theory of condemning Singapore's future, by consistently shaming and threatening Singaporean's security with fake news. 
Now extended to harassing our elderly, last dream of peace in their golden age. So damn cruel and selfish of him.

As for today's foreign workers/ PR plying in Singapore. I said it is a complex issue. 

Some long term PR started in the earlier days of Singapore Independence. They are mainly the Malaysian, with some Indonesian or UK citizens, whom love to stay in Singapore with their Singaporean spouse, family. 
But refused to give up a bigger country citizenship. Inview of personal long term interest or sense of belonging towards motherland roots. 

Singapore was then a small young nation with no resources, naturally allowed such PR for long term goals. A win win situation for both such PR cases and Singapore's own development. 
At that period, Singapore's population was about 1 to 2 millions plus. More rooms for everyone. 

However, the second generation of such PR's son needed to be enlisted into NS. This regulation is one way to stop having more long-term PR, taking advantage of Singapore benefits. 
I know some Malaysians working and living in Singapore under work permit, whereby their Parent are PR for decades. All because they refused to conscription. 

Today's new application for PR is even more stringent for approval. Many was rejected due to incompatible of work skill, education, wealth, job security, personal assimilation with Singapore's society, policy and security. 

Singapore PR subject to regulation in renewal too.
The Singapore PR renewal has a validity period of 5 years maximum and is subject to the applicant's situation.

PRs who have been away from Singapore for a long time may not be granted a five-year re-entry permit.

"Can Singapore PR renewal be rejected?"

Yes, the REP renewal can be rejected for several reasons:

1 You have been away from Singapore for an extended period.

2 You have made little contribution to Singapore economically.

3 You failed to produce the required documents.

So the concept of "Open Door" immigration is fake. Many disgruntled foreigners in forums, with a knife to grind against Singapore are one of such fail applicant.

As I mentioned earlier, Singapore is much more selective in approvals of PR and certainly over Citizenship application. 
Today, We have the resources to rejected unqualified foreigners application. Towards the benefits of our nation. 

It doesn't mean when a foreigner wishes to be our PR or Citizenship, their wish will be granted naturally. Or they are considered better than a foreign workers plying in Singapore on permits.

Singapore's goal is to be a Global City. We welcome all to work and live in our city. For the benefit of everyone, including Singaporean. With positive contribution to our society and economy. 

However, approving PR/Citizenship is more than that. It concerning our continuously nation building. 
Not everyone is suitable to be a Singaporean. 
SCY is a perfect example. His kind of mentality will destroy Singapore within seconds. Something that we, Singaporean cannot take it lightly. 

6 million citizens VS 3 million citizens with 3 million PR/Foreign workers. 
Well, Becareful of what you wishes for.

Singapore can never do away with foreign workers, a true fact that even our Opposition parties agree. Who is your contractor renovating your home, f&b workers, factory workers, hairstylist, nurse, hawkers, construction workers etc. Mostly are Malaysian, Chinese, Bangladesh, Indian. 

So even when you have 6 millions citizens, there will still be foreign workers needed in Singapore. By then we will hit 8 to 9 million population. Will it not be over crowded as complaint by many Opposition supporters? 

And with 6 millions citizens, the benefits and grants cost will be very high.
How many bto must we build for citizens, double of today? 
With all of the grants too? What about hospitalisation, school, welfare grants? 

Therefore Singapore approvals of Citizenship is limited to about 20k annually. A figure that we can still absorb at current situation.

The giving of 20K new NRIC is certainly carefully calibrated, and not given at the whim and fancy of the big one who does not sit at the counter but inside a room on another floor that's not in public view.

I am sure they look at the death rate (mortality rate), the current birth rate (TFR), the population in 20 years' time that is attributable to locals reproducing and bringing up locals, and then plug the shortfall.

As to having 6 million Singaporeans instead of 3 million Singaporeans and 3 million foreigners, that argument has a lot of appeal if it is assumed that foreigners will leave at the first sign of trouble.  What trouble?

(1)  War and invasion by a neighbouring country?  Extremely unlikely, next to zero, I dare say.   We are creating jobs in such numbers that we have to give a lot of these jobs to them, so why would they start a war with us to damage us?  What good does it do for them if their peepur return to become poorer by 1 divided by 3.45 or even become jobless?

(2)  Economic contractions?  Well, if we lose FDIs and jobs (also unlikely under the present government's stewardship), we would be more than happy if they leave.  If they don't, we will tell them to leave.  We need whatever jobs there are left for ourselves.  So, I don't see any problem in foreigners leaving at the first sign of trouble.

Your suggestion of 3 million foreigners to make a total population of 9 million may not be workable.  I think foreigners should be 3 times the number of Singaporeans to form an Org Char which is not an upside-down pyramid.  

In other words, to have 6 million Singaporeans, we may need 18 million foreigners, and that is where the problems lie, which cannot be solved.  No land for housing is one...

Even now, when it's 50/50 between locals and foreigners, we are facing labour shortages because we cannot have 50/150 much as we need to because Singaporeans don't want to be the worker bee, all want to be managers, so who is going to be the construction worker, cook, waiter, electrician, etc?

So, some may then argue, we don't need all 6 million Singaporeans to be managers!  2 million managers and 4 million to fill up the lower rungs of the Org Chart is good.  And SgBuffet & Co will start a thread showing 4 million sinkies who "being poor, only have their dreams...please tread carefully and not shatter them, blablablab".  There will be the politics of envy, which the oppies will play up.  Already, with most sinkies being middle classed all the way to millionaire classed, and only a small minority not being well off (for all sorts of reasons), the oppies are chanting VTO!  VTO!  Heartless!  PAP! Never take care of Singaporeans!

What more if we have sinkies not earning the salaries of managers?

But seriously, do we have a national IQ that is so high, if not for FTs, that every one of us is smart enough to take on the job of a manager?  It is an unrealistic hypothesis.  Even when DPM Wong spoke about working to make Singapore become an AI hub, SgTalkers are talking about bringing in IT/AI experts from China....so, is that not admitting that our current 3 million Sinkies are not there yet, and we need FTs?  If we are all so smart, why need to recruit from China?

(05-12-2023, 02:20 PM)Oyk Wrote:  I am eating an authentic Indian lunch cooked by an Indian chef.

Very well presented.

Here's the dessert. Jin tasty. This one is international.  Rotfl

[Image: 240_F_531759169_D44z4ySnYMipKHr8SxPTZYfZbZ1xSyms.jpg]
[Image: lee-hsien-loong-happy.gif]

Laughing Laughing

(06-12-2023, 08:40 AM)Oyk Wrote:  sgtalk.net/User-Oyk的老婆人人骑

(02-12-2023, 04:42 AM)Scythian Wrote:  .
Why Changi T5 has to be raised above 5 metres?

Despite late LKY warning that no engineering in the world can prevent flooding, yet, Singapore planning to spend $100 bil. to contain rising sea water level.

Is that enough?

Once sea level raises 5 m, many parts of Australia and JB will be underwater too..

(01-12-2023, 01:03 PM)moonrab Wrote:  They are loan free with Cash savings, Fully paid house, Medical insurance, Cpf Retirement Fund, Benefits for 60 years old above, Domestic helper with monthly $400 care giver grant and $240 levy grant, Careshield monthly $600 from AIC, GST rebates, HDB free upgrade maintenance, Passion Silver 50% discount for MRT/BUS transport, 3% discount at NTUC and Giant supermarket, CPF Top Up, etc...
Want some more reasons.
Obviously the Singaporean retirees are much more smarter than you, anytime.

There are S'poreans like my parents who bought freehold landed property in the 1960s which has been fully paid up and have a second property giving them rental yield. They accept a token allowance from their adult children and spend only a little on essential items every month. They are debt free and receiving excellent healthcare in SG.  They mostly eat out before the lunch or dinner crowd emerges and stay home in their comfortable and spacious houses, instead of being cooped up in pigeon holes high up in the sky. Life is peaceful here for such retirees.
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(06-12-2023, 10:06 AM)Oyk Wrote:  The giving of 20K new NRIC is certainly carefully calibrated, and not given at the whim and fancy of the big one who does not sit at the counter but inside a room on another floor that's not in public view.

I am sure they look at the death rate (mortality rate), the current birth rate (TFR), the population in 20 years' time that is attributable to locals reproducing and bringing up locals, and then plug the shortfall.

As to having 6 million Singaporeans instead of 3 million Singaporeans and 3 million foreigners, that argument has a lot of appeal if it is assumed that foreigners will leave at the first sign of trouble.  What trouble?

(1)  War and invasion by a neighbouring country?  Extremely unlikely, next to zero, I dare say.   We are creating jobs in such numbers that we have to give a lot of these jobs to them, so why would they start a war with us to damage us?  What good does it do for them if their peepur return to become poorer by 1 divided by 3.45 or even become jobless?

(2)  Economic contractions?  Well, if we lose FDIs and jobs (also unlikely under the present government's stewardship), we would be more than happy if they leave.  If they don't, we will tell them to leave.  We need whatever jobs there are left for ourselves.  So, I don't see any problem in foreigners leaving at the first sign of trouble.

Your suggestion of 3 million foreigners to make a total population of 9 million may not be workable.  I think foreigners should be 3 times the number of Singaporeans to form an Org Char which is not an upside-down pyramid.  

In other words, to have 6 million Singaporeans, we may need 18 million foreigners, and that is where the problems lie, which cannot be solved.  No land for housing is one...

Even now, when it's 50/50 between locals and foreigners, we are facing labour shortages because we cannot have 50/150 much as we need to because Singaporeans don't want to be the worker bee, all want to be managers, so who is going to be the construction worker, cook, waiter, electrician, etc?

So, some may then argue, we don't need all 6 million Singaporeans to be managers!  2 million managers and 4 million to fill up the lower rungs of the Org Chart is good.  And SgBuffet & Co will start a thread showing 4 million sinkies who "being poor, only have their dreams...please tread carefully and not shatter them, blablablab".  There will be the politics of envy, which the oppies will play up.  Already, with most sinkies being middle classed all the way to millionaire classed, and only a small minority not being well off (for all sorts of reasons), the oppies are chanting VTO!  VTO!  Heartless!  PAP! Never take care of Singaporeans!

What more if we have sinkies not earning the salaries of managers?

But seriously, do we have a national IQ that is so high, if not for FTs, that every one of us is smart enough to take on the job of a manager?  It is an unrealistic hypothesis.  Even when DPM Wong spoke about working to make Singapore become an AI hub, SgTalkers are talking about bringing in IT/AI experts from China....so, is that not admitting that our current 3 million Sinkies are not there yet, and we need FTs?  If we are all so smart, why need to recruit from China?

"SgTalkers are talking about bringing in IT/AI experts from China....so, is that not admitting that our current 3 million Sinkies are not there yet, and we need FTs?  If we are all so smart, why need to recruit from China?"

Every developed nation need foreign skill resources. In US, the brightest or most successful people are not all local born. Since WW2. Most scientists and successful companies entrepreneur are imported too.

In today's AI world, all countries are fighting for knowledgeable talents and investments. Offering huge benefits and monetary rewards. 
Singapore is just one of the smaller competitors. Fighting for latest technologies available. 

It is unrealistic to wish for a country to improve or catch up with international technology advancement, through 100% local workforce. Not possible at all.

US is using such strategy, to hold back her enemies technological advancement by blocking sale and technologies transfer. 

Singapore need to protect her citizen's future, by ensuring we are not left behind in technology advancement. Levelling up with international standard. 
Attracting foreign talent is inevitable. Being a Global City is the only way to survival for Singapore.

(06-12-2023, 02:55 PM)moonrab Wrote:  "SgTalkers are talking about bringing in IT/AI experts from China....so, is that not admitting that our current 3 million Sinkies are not there yet, and we need FTs?  If we are all so smart, why need to recruit from China?"

Every developed nation need foreign skill resources. In US, the brightest or most successful people are not all local born. Since WW2. Most scientists and successful companies entrepreneur are imported too.

In today's AI world, all countries are fighting for knowledgeable talents and investments. Offering huge benefits and monetary rewards. 
Singapore is just one of the smaller competitors. Fighting for latest technologies available. 

It is unrealistic to wish for a country to improve or catch up with international technology advancement, through 100% local workforce. Not possible at all.

US is using such strategy, to hold back her enemies technological advancement by blocking sale and technologies transfer. 

Singapore need to protect her citizen's future, by ensuring we are not left behind in technology advancement. Levelling up with international standard. 
Attracting foreign talent is inevitable. Being a Global City is the only way to survival for Singapore.

The 39% will post a picture with the words.....Jobs for FTs! NS for sinkies!

(06-12-2023, 02:49 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  There are S'poreans like my parents who bought freehold landed property in the 1960s which has been fully paid up and have a second property giving them rental yield. They accept a token allowance from their adult children and spend only a little on essential items every month. They are debt free and receiving excellent healthcare in SG.  They mostly eat out before the lunch or dinner crowd emerges and stay home in their comfortable and spacious houses, instead of being cooped up in pigeon holes high up in the sky. Life is peaceful here for such retirees.

Yep.
Me and friends are similar to your parent. 

Some own freehold, some hdb, but all are financially independent. 
With extra incomes from children and saving interests. 

If you go to hdb kopitiam on weekdays afternoon period. Many elderly sitting in groups chatting. No stress.

We are enjoying our old age in Singapore 😊

(06-12-2023, 03:02 PM)moonrab Wrote:  Yep.
Me and friends are similar to your parent. 
Some own freehold, some hdb, but all are financially independent. 
With extra incomes from children and saving interests. 
If you go to hdb kopitiam on weekdays afternoon period. Many elderly sitting in groups chatting. No stress.
We are enjoying our old age in Singapore 😊

I am in my 50s and have contemplated early retirement to join my parents.  However, several of my retired friends have cautioned me about calling time on my career too soon as they often speak about adjustment issues and boredom.  

(06-12-2023, 04:15 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I am in my 50s and have contemplated early retirement to join my parents.  However, several of my retired friends have cautioned me about calling time on my career too soon as they often speak about adjustment issues and boredom.  

It is a myth about boredom in retirement. 

Time is something we sacrifice for $ when young. 
Once $ is sufficient, we buy back time for ourselves. After all, it is limited item in life.

Everyday I feeling blessed in retirement. Wake up naturally, not force too. 
Do what I loved. Not what I need to.

Keep myself healthy through daily exercise at own times. 
Go walking, swimming, jogging or cycling, when everyone is working. 
Spent time with love ones 24/7. Looking up for good foods in hawker centers.

Cycling with friends round trip Singapore 160km. Spending time to recap our younger days adventure. 

Once you hit 60s. Theoretically, you only left 10 to 20 years of quality times. 
Don't waste it for anything else in life.

Actually, those Foreigners like JAC LAU

have siblings and Condos in Malaysia

should go back to Malaysia for retirement rather than to use up our space here

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(06-12-2023, 03:01 PM)Oyk Wrote:  The 39% will post a picture with the words.....Jobs for FTs! NS for sinkies!

That's is the usual rants. 
But in real life, it is a different story.

In Malaysia,  the Malay (Bumiputera) will claim they are the one protecting the minority. In the army.
Chinese only work and get rich. So?

I understand how my Malay friends in Malaysia feeling too.

(06-12-2023, 05:29 PM)moonrab Wrote:  That's is the usual rants. 
But in real life, it is a different story.

In Malaysia,  the Malay (Bumiputera) will claim they are the one protecting the minority. In the army.
Chinese only work and get rich. So?

I understand how my Malay friends in Malaysia feeling too.

You believe what they said?

You forgot the racial riots of the 1960s. They weren't protecting the minority. They were slashing them with parangs.

And if they are going to train anyone in the use of firearms, it's not going to be the minority.

Having said that, now, I don't know about Thailand in the north and Indonesia in the south of Malaysia, whether or not these countries would ever attack Malaysia. 

But I can say that we are extremely unlikely to attack Malaysia and if they maintain an army because of goddamnit! Singapore, then the daily work-life of a Malaysian soldier is very suitable for him because it's for lazy peepur who like to have nothing to do.

The Chinese Malaysians work to pay taxes and provide the government revenue to pay these soldiers who are very busy doing nothing while protecting not the minority but their sacrosanct right to be trained to use firearms if there's ever another riot.

(06-12-2023, 08:44 AM)Oyk Wrote:  He "admitted" it because you say so? Rolleyes

Singapore in a mess as PM admits politics not as clean as country’s image

The Sydney Morning Herald
2 August 2023

"Lee Hsien Loong

Singapore in a mess as PM admits politics not as clean as country’s image

The city-state places as much stock in the cleanliness of its politics as it does in spotless streets. Recent events have threatened to sully that reputation.

August 2, 2023byChris Barrett"
https://www.smh.com.au/topic/lee-hsien-l...tt,-LATEST

(06-12-2023, 06:47 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Having said that, now, I don't know about Thailand in the north and Indonesia in the south of Malaysia, whether or not these countries would ever attack Malaysia. 

Indonesia and Malaysia did have a war from 1963-1966 called Konfrontasi due to Indonesia's opposition to the creation of the nation of Malaysia. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia%...frontation
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

Politics is considered to be dirty how to be clean?

☝️

(06-12-2023, 06:47 PM)Oyk Wrote:  You believe what they said?

You forgot the racial riots of the 1960s. They weren't protecting the minority. They were slashing them with parangs.

And if they are going to train anyone in the use of firearms, it's not going to be the minority.

Having said that, now, I don't know about Thailand in the north and Indonesia in the south of Malaysia, whether or not these countries would ever attack Malaysia. 

But I can say that we are extremely unlikely to attack Malaysia and if they maintain an army because of goddamnit! Singapore, then the daily work-life of a Malaysian soldier is very suitable for him because it's for lazy peepur who like to have nothing to do.

The Chinese Malaysians work to pay taxes and provide the government revenue to pay these soldiers who are very busy doing nothing while protecting not the minority but their sacrosanct right to be trained to use firearms if there's ever another riot.

[Image: SiTuS.png]

They re continuing sucking our blood to make themselves wealthy and filthy rich.

Imagine, even a young actor with stable incomes and well paid job also left for greener pastures ...

How many of you can be MediaCorp actor and yet, he chosen to leave to work in a retail shop in Sydney?

He is sending a very clear message to all Singaporeans that's The End.

(06-12-2023, 07:17 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Politics is considered to be dirty how to be clean?

Their supporters and large majority believe it's clean.

Politicians are Honest and clean?

If MediaCorp young actor leaving Singapore for greener pastures, the future must be bleak.

(07-12-2023, 05:10 AM)Scythian Wrote:  .
Their supporters and large majority believe it's clean.

Politicians are Honest and clean?

If so no more corruptions

☝️

(08-12-2023, 11:58 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  If so no more corruptions

KOM 6 ceos travelled to Brazil to do carwash biz

If a super scale million $$$ Director General disregard the Vienna Convention, and resorted to smuggling panadols and luxury watches in and out of China, 

There's no place for ordinary people on the streets..