Lee Hsien Yang ordered to pay damages to Shanmugam, Vivian for defaming them

(29-11-2023, 12:19 AM)S I M T A N Wrote:  The founding leader would turn in his grave because of the sorry state of affair his children are in now. His younger son has landed in the soup, being hit with a triple whammy of having to apologise to the two ministers, retract his statement and pay damages or, failing that, he'll be sued for defamation. His FB post was considered full of lies and defamations. As a ex-CEO of high standing, he ought to have known better than to make unsubstantiated claims without doing his homework thoroughly. Many expect him to answer his would-be plaintiffs with a "shove off!" reply. He's likely to continue living as exile rather than face persecution.

Prosecution
Not persecution.

He is not being persecuted, not by his brother, not by the two ministers.  He was sued for defamation, something which I believe he would also do if others had defamed him, just like his father had done when he was defamed by JBJ.

He is already very lucky that his brother decided to let it pass.  LHL could have sued to clear his name but decided to let the JURY in the court of public opinion exonerate him.

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love
[+] 1 user Likes Oyk's post

(29-11-2023, 08:53 AM)Stoki Wrote:  It is usually jealousy that cause siblings fierce quarrel 

Thinking

I suspect that LHL was LKY's favourite child.  He was the first-born, and as it turned out, he did not disappoint in studies, he was everything all parents would hope for their chewren.

His two siblings were also good at their studies, and like him, won a President's Scholarship, but LHL was well, the first-born, and hence his father's favourite.

And that built up jealousy which neither his sister nor brother dared to show when LKY was still alive.  They were scared of the old man.  But soon after he died, his sister fired the first salvo by accusing him of being dishonourable...I am still figuring out, how, where, what?  I cannot find anything which LHL did which was dishonourable wor. Smile

(29-11-2023, 07:43 AM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  Don't pay them.

Well, you know, Minister Vivian's expertise was in ophthalmology.  Healthcare.  He'd need legal advice on what his next step should be if LHY does not pay..

Minister Shan was a top lawyer, he does not need legal advice.  What courses of action are available now under common law?  Many SgTalk lawyer-wannabes posted, ah! LHY is not in Singapore, the two ministers cannot touch him!  Minister Shan proved them wrong.

Can LHY's overseas assets be seized?  Can they apply for a Garnishee Order?  Any SgTalk lawyer-wannabe wants to advise? Observer?   Rotfl

(29-11-2023, 01:42 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Well, you know, Minister Vivian's expertise was in ophthalmology.  Healthcare.  He'd need legal advice on what his next step should be if LHY does not pay..

Minister Shan was a top lawyer, he does not need legal advice.  What course of action are available now under common law?  Many SgTalk lawyer-wannabes posted, ah! LHY is not in Singapore, the two ministers cannot touch him!  Minister Shan proved them wrong.

Can LHY's overseas assets be seized?  Can they apply for a Garnishee Order?  Any SgTalk lawyer-wannabe wants to advise? Observer?   Rotfl
sure he got property in sillypore,,

(29-11-2023, 01:50 PM)victortan Wrote:  sure he got property in sillypore,,

He owns 38OXR which is worth over $25 million.

It was originally given to LHL by LKY, and I understand it became a source of unhappiness for the two younger siblings.  I can understand it because all three chewren grew up in that house, and it must hold very dear memories for them.  Childhood memories...of their father, and mother, in their younger days, of dogs which LKY seemed to like to keep, of the Cantonese speaking majie 妈姐 who cooked for them who had returned to Shunde, China.

The house would need continual upkeep but any of the three siblings can well afford to pay for that.  For those memories, the price is worth paying.

So both brothers had a dispute and the house was sold to LHY.

(29-11-2023, 02:04 PM)Oyk Wrote:  He owns 38OXR which is worth over $25 million.

It was originally given to LHL by LKY, and I understand it became a source of unhappiness for the two younger siblings.  I can understand it because all three chewren grew up in that house, and it must hold very dear memories for them.  Childhood memories...of their father, and mother, in their younger days, of dogs which LKY seemed to like to keep, of the Cantonese speaking majie 妈姐 who cooked for them who had returned to Shunde, China.

The house would need continual upkeep but any of the three siblings can well afford to pay for that.  For those memories, the price is worth paying.

So both brothers had a dispute and the house was sold to LHY.

You talk as if you're 1 of the family members leh! Big Grin I also don't understand lah!
[+] 1 user Likes cheekopekman's post

(29-11-2023, 02:11 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  You talk as if you're 1 of the family members leh! Big Grin I also don't understand lah!

I only talk as a Singaporean who grew up in that era.

38OXR was a palace compared with the houses most of us grew up in, in Lim Chu Kang, Choa Chu Kang, and even Ang Mo Kio up till the 1970s which was nothing but a jungle.

Today, many PGs if they are alive and ambulant, and MGs, still go back to where it was once a kampung.  Yoomers and zoomers see HDB flat or condos, but these old peepur see a kampung.  For them, memories of an era gone would flood back from the subconscious.  They could hear their mother, wearing samfu, screaming at them to stop playing and come in for home-cooked dinner.  They could visualize Ah Seng, Ah Kow and Ah Sim catching grasshoppers and spiders with them in the jungle part of the kampung.  They could even hear Observer's mother moaning as unknown men piak piak her every night.

To each his own. Some grew up in Bo Bo Tan, Tiong Bahru, and others in shophouses on Orchard Road. For the Lees, it was 38OXR.

I would pay two million dollars to buy back my childhood house if it still exists.  But a condo now stands on the land, and I cannot afford to buy up the entire block.   Wink

(29-11-2023, 01:42 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Well, you know, Minister Vivian's expertise was in ophthalmology.  Healthcare.  He'd need legal advice on what his next step should be if LHY does not pay..

Minister Shan was a top lawyer, he does not need legal advice.  What courses of action are available now under common law?  Many SgTalk lawyer-wannabes posted, ah! LHY is not in Singapore, the two ministers cannot touch him!  Minister Shan proved them wrong.

Wait long long to be paid.

(29-11-2023, 02:43 PM)Gemstar Wrote:  Wait long long to be paid.

You are posting this to the charity (ies) which would receive the $$$$.

As far as the two ministers are concerned, they have been vindicated in a court of law, and that's what they want. They are millionaires multiple times and I am sure they didn't sue LHY to make themselves richer wor.

(29-11-2023, 02:25 PM)Oyk Wrote:  I only talk as a Singaporean who grew up in that era.

38OXR was a palace compared with the houses most of us grew up in, in Lim Chu Kang, Choa Chu Kang, and even Ang Mo Kio up till the 1970s which was nothing but a jungle.

Today, many PGs if they are alive and ambulant, and MG, still go back to where it was once a kampung.  Yoomers and zoomers see HDB flat or condos, but these old peepur see a kampung.  For them, memories of an era gone would flood back from the subconscious.  They could hear their mother, wearing samfu, screaming at them to stop playing and come in for home-cooked dinner.  They could visualize Ah Seng, Ah Kow and Ah Sim catching grasshoppers and spiders with them in the jungle part of the kampung.  They could even hear Observer's mother moaning as unknown men piak piak her every night.

To each his own. Some grew up in Bo Bo Tan, Tiong Bahru, and others in shophouses on Orchard Road.  For the Lees, it was 38OXR.

I would pay two million dollars to buy back my childhood house if it still exists.  But a condo now stands on the land, and I cannot afford to buy up the entire block.   Wink

You sound very old lah Uncle! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes cheekopekman's post

(29-11-2023, 04:17 PM)Oyk Wrote:  You are posting this to the charity (ies) which would receive the $$$$.

the two ministers  are millionaires multiple times and I am sure they didn't sue LHY to make themselves richer 

Agreed, they dont want to be richer BUT Want to be humongous richer. That is the difference

nudie

8Umbrella Umbrella
Cool 

(29-11-2023, 04:20 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  You sound very old lah Uncle! Big Grin

你说呢?

TKL and NKS said to me, ah hia, vote for me ah!

Wow

Tiktok collecting $$$

Here also collecting $$$

(29-11-2023, 04:23 PM)klat Wrote:  Agreed, they dont want to be richer BUT Want to be humongous richer. That is the difference

nudie

Your mother told you that?  Rolleyes

(29-11-2023, 05:43 PM)Oyk Wrote:  你说呢?

TKL and NKS said to me, ah hia, vote for me ah!

Are you the real Ong Ye Kung leh? Thinking

Wah phiang!

So when will PAP pay us for their mistakes with FTs #1 POLICY

Defaming our Citizenry Class??

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

The court have not decided yet maybe a token of little sum like $1000 each only..

(29-11-2023, 05:44 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Your mother told you that?  Rolleyes

Knnbccb the undisputed King of all Motherfuckers is here

[Image: 8q0jU3S.jpg]

Thinking Oyk:Tempt peepur at their Archilles Point: GREED

Shameful shameful shameful

(29-11-2023, 08:16 PM)starbugstk Wrote:  Knnbccb the undisputed King of all Motherfuckers is here

[Image: download?p=nwqSVjaxB52Ae3f_TBZBVmKoDNq64...7ZonQUlu4-]

Wow, he looks like his mother.

(29-11-2023, 08:37 PM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  I look like my mother's cheesepie. 

No wonder everybody calls you CB face.  Rotfl

(29-11-2023, 08:54 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Rotfl
sgtalk.net/User-Oyk冚家拎

(29-11-2023, 01:24 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Prosecution
Not persecution.

He is not being persecuted, not by his brother, not by the two ministers.  He was sued for defamation, something which I believe he would also do if others had defamed him, just like his father had done when he was defamed by JBJ.

He is already very lucky that his brother decided to let it pass.  LHL could have sued to clear his name but decided to let the JURY in the court of public opinion exonerate him.

The Oxley case became a cause celebre among S'poreans. In the wake of the sibling feud, PM Lee publicly announced that he would never take any of his siblings to court no matter how things panned out. This is a classic case of blood being thicker than water.

Will the general public exonerate the head of the govt in the court of public opinion? When social media enters the equation, the 'verdict' on PM Lee is likely to be skewed negatively from the very beginning. So this isn't an accurate mirror of public opinion. It's therefore imperative to have countervailing influences in the form of online apologists.

(29-11-2023, 01:34 PM)Oyk Wrote:  I suspect that LHL was LKY's favourite child.  He was the first-born, and as it turned out, he did not disappoint in studies, he was everything all parents would hope for their chewren.

His two siblings were also good at their studies, and like him, won a President's Scholarship, but LHL was well, the first-born, and hence his father's favourite.

And that built up jealousy which neither his sister nor brother dared to show when LKY was still alive.  They were scared of the old man.  But soon after he died, his sister fired the first salvo by accusing him of being dishonourable...I am still figuring out, how, where, what?  I cannot find anything which LHL did which was dishonourable wor. Smile

People were led to believe that the Oxley saga had arisen because of the sibling differences over the fate of that house. After the sibling quarrels were made known in public, we realised there could be more to this family saga than meets the eye, such as sibling rivalry.

I have a similar true story to tell. My friend's grandad was the firstborn son. His grandad had two younger brothers, but he was the only son who took after his dad in having a passion for doing business. He was the favourite son and was taught the trick of the trade. Naturally he grew up and became a shrewd businessman just like his father, a prominent local businessman. This great granddad of my friend was also a member of the govt - an outdated term for minister in the era before LKY's - besides being the chair of SG Chinese Chamber of Commerce and for a brief stint he was SG's ambassador to Thailand.

Some people say a political leader needs to have a solid family structure that's free of sibling rivalry and other family woes if he's to be seen as a capable leader. Well, sibling rivalry and family bickering are commonplace in families, and may not necessarily impact one's professional life. LHL's relationship with his siblings isn't a happy one, but professionally, he's successful.
[+] 1 user Likes S I M T A N's post

(29-11-2023, 04:23 PM)klat Wrote:  Agreed, they dont want to be richer BUT Want to be humongous richer. That is the difference

nudie

As far back as early August, the two ministers were reported to have sought $25 K each in damages, a small change for the well-off. It wasn't so much the much the money - which they intended to donate to charity anyway - but heir reputation that was at stake. Anyone in their shoes would have done the same thing - to clear their name.

(29-11-2023, 08:37 PM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  Wow, he looks like his mother.

[Image: image-1-1000bbb.png]

Bhwahahahaaaaaa!!!!!
[Image: laugh-emoji.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Dan's post

(30-11-2023, 01:55 AM)To S I M T A N Wrote:  As far back as early August, the two ministers were reported to have sought $25 K each in damages, a small change for the well-off. It wasn't so much the much the money - which they intended to donate to charity anyway - but heir reputation that was at stake. Anyone in their shoes would have done the same thing - to clear their name.
Ooh…. ? Clear their names with money? Really very rich and powerful that money can buy everything?

(30-11-2023, 01:48 AM)S I M T A N Wrote:  People were led to believe that the Oxley saga had arisen because of the sibling differences over the fate of that house. After the sibling quarrels were made known in public, we realised there could be more to this family saga than meets the eye, such as sibling rivalry.

I have a similar true story to tell. My friend's grandad was the firstborn son. His grandad had two younger brothers, but he was the only son who took after his dad in having a passion for doing business. He was the favourite son and was taught the trick of the trade. Naturally he grew up and became a shrewd businessman just like his father, a prominent local businessman. This great granddad of my friend was also a member of the govt - an outdated term for minister in the era before LKY's - besides being the chair of SG Chinese Chamber of Commerce and for a brief stint he was SG's ambassador to Thailand.

Some people say a political leader needs to have a solid family structure that's free of sibling rivalry and other family woes if he's to be seen as a capable leader. Well, sibling rivalry and family bickering are commonplace in families, and may not necessarily impact one's professional life. LHL's relationship with his siblings isn't a happy one, but professionally, he's successful.

There are definitely more than meets the eye.  38OXR isn't about whether the old house was a subject for conservation consideration or otherwise, total demolition.

"LHL didn't even let his father fulfil his last wish to demolish the house" had been repeated in social media ad infinitum...........................by hypocrites who said that to politicise the matter to try to destroy PAP.  I say PAP because these diehards won't stop even if LHL is somehow voted out.  They will find other things to vilify the entire PAP and get it voted out.

This hypocrisy can also be seen in the "support" which LHY got and is still getting from the 39%. Are they really supporting him, or *making use* of him because he was/is considered a good material to use against LHL and PAP?  No prize for giving the right answer.

It is hard for parents to love all chewren equally.  This is not a simpur thing like cutting a cake into 3 equal slices, one for each child.  Splitting their affection equally for the three younger Lees, spending an equal amount of time with each of them...they might have unconsciously given a little more to the favourite child, while the other two could sense that, the body language, the tone of voice, and build up resentment over the years. (Yang could have been their mother's favourite child being the younger son and youngest child)

It also has to do with chemistry.  LKY might have just found talking to LHL to be more "enjoyable" if they both share similar views, domestic and global, and can "clique" better.  One might also use this explanation for why LKY would often bring George Yeo along for his overseas trips. Would the other ministers become jealous, and resent that which they might perceive as LKY practising favouritism?  Well, George had spoken: he believed so without of course mentioning names.  He also said, his mother (presumably a woman with a brilliant mind) had told him to never compete with his (LKY's ) son.  So, LKY and George had chemistry but it should only end at getting more overseas trips and being served, of course, ho liao  好料 by the host country。 Laughing

We see this in companies too.  In theory, a manager must be fair to all his subordinates, but oftentimes, we'd notice that the manager might favour one particular staff.

(30-11-2023, 10:36 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Stim or not?

[Image: XONbuA9.jpg]

Laughing Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post

(30-11-2023, 01:34 AM)S I M T A N Wrote:  The Oxley case became a cause celebre among S'poreans. In the wake of the sibling feud, PM Lee publicly announced that he would never take any of his siblings to court no matter how things panned out. This is a classic case of blood being thicker than water.

Will the general public exonerate the head of the govt in the court of public opinion? When social media enters the equation, the 'verdict' on PM Lee is likely to be skewed negatively from the very beginning. So this isn't an accurate mirror of public opinion. It's therefore imperative to have countervailing influences in the form of online apologists.

Recently, we saw the word "injunction" being used by no less a High Court judge.  There is another legal term called "Specific Performance" - that's two simpur enough words but it's a legal jargon.

The former is a court order which means "You are not to" while the latter means "You are to..."

PM Lee shared in Parliament that he was specifically told - a specific performance, if I may borrow this legal jargon - by his father that if anything should happen to him to look after his mother and younger siblings.  So, he was given the heavy burden in a typical "Chinese" family to be the man of the house should LKY be killed.

I would not say "Blood is thicker than water" in this case.  Rather, I see an honourable son who obeyed his father, was filial, and who had set his mind from that day onwards to look after his younger siblings for life.  He would not interfere with the judiciary.  He would let the law run its course, and the judges decide according to the law of defamation.  I don't think he is elated to see his younger brother being sued and sued successfully.  I am sure it pains him.

If blood is thicker than water, both his younger siblings would not have gone so publicly about their feud, which did nothing good for LHL's name.