My 10 HK stock portforlio created 13 Jul- 2020 big losses and big gains.

I have started to continue my accumulation of HK tech stocks using my funds from sale of iFast. I kept cash for some time. Unfortunately I  only purchase small amount at the bottom of the sell off the rebound was so fast and furious I decided not to rush in.

I prefer the price of stocks to stay low while I am buying...so I was not too happy with how quickly it run up.
[Image: aSVxL4a.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(15-03-2022, 03:04 PM)yodaa Wrote:  Generally Buy and hold is the best strategy for most investors.

https://www.businessinsider.com/forgetfu...est-2014-9

Dont have to worry about short to mid term fluctuations as long as the company is generating strong free cashflow every year, has ample cash Reserves and executing the business long term goals according to plan.

People who bought Apple 1990 at $20 the stock drop to $7, they cut loss and sold along the way down....the same stock would be worth $1000+ before the Apple stock split.

People buy stocks for long term then get scared when market drop they become short term traders and sell....

That is human nature that iss why most should not buy individual stocks as they do not have the competence to pick them resulting in  lack of conviction.

They should just invest regularly in stock jndex or unit trust and stop looking at how the investment performs.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(31-03-2022, 09:41 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I have started to continue my accumulation of HK tech stocks using my funds from sale of iFast. I kept cash for some time. Unfortunately I  only purchase small amount at the bottom of the sell off the rebound was so fast and furious I decided not to rush in.

I prefer the price of stocks to stay low while I am buying...so I was not too happy with how quickly it run up.
You Bought too early as baba crashed >5% last night.

Laughter-13  Laughter-13

(01-04-2022, 08:41 AM)ROFLMAO Wrote:  You Bought too early as baba crashed >5% last night.

Yeah delisting fears again. I put every thing in hold againt wait and see.

There are 4 types of stocks each affected differently.

1. Those with primary listing in HK and trade as ADR...tencent xiaomi. These should be least affected but will still drop.

2. The state own enterprises. These have lots of sensitive data so for sure will delist from US.

3. Private companies that no longer need money like Alibaba which are cashflow positive. These should be okay as a business but stock price will fall due to sentiment. Primary listing jn US but most have secondary listing in HK.

4. Those that need to keep raising cash like NIO. XPENG which are cashflow negative.

Situation looks volatile again. And also China covid situation brings alot of fear.

Only when investors numb to these repeat fears then it is over.
You need the market to open down and fearful then close up

[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(01-04-2022, 09:16 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Yeah delisting fears again. I put every thing in hold againt wait and see.

There are 4 types of stocks each affected differently.

1. Those with primary listing in HK and trade as ADR...tencent xiaomi. These should be least affected but will still drop.

2. The state own enterprises. These have lots of sensitive data so for sure will delist from US.

3. Private companies that no longer need money like Alibaba which are cashflow positive. These should be okay as a business but stock price will fall due to sentiment. Primary listing jn US but most have secondary listing in HK.

4. Those that need to keep raising cash like NIO. XPENG which are cashflow negative.

Situation looks volatile again. And also China covid situation brings alot of fear.

Only when investors numb to these repeat fears then it is over.
You need the market to open down and fearful then close up

Over optimism to think today will close up dude

"Delisting fears" have gone on for more than a year....this video was from 1yr ago.
For investors to fear something for 1yr is remarkable.
You would think those with concerns about delisting would have sold already.

It is likely such fears keep getting resurrected as traders with short term positions use it to "cue" their trades in which cas we should see the effects get shorter and smaller.

(01-04-2022, 09:26 AM)Zannn Wrote:  Over optimism to think today will close up dude

I didn't say today. Could be today or some day next week or 3 weeks from now 

Frankly I cant tell but I am looking out for this day.
About 20% of capitalisation of China Tech is in cash...and major ones are cashflow positive despite the China economic slowdown. This is a substantial cushion for these hard times.

The stock price moving up and down only affect when I buy to be more optimal....I expect this period to be volatile due to numerous issues and problems with China economy...thatbis why the stocks are selling at such low valuations.

Short term investing is always momentum lookjngbfor near term trends and quick in quick out 

But for those building a long term portforlio a lot of near term problems are just temporary and help you to buy at lower valuations.  The only thing that should concern long term investors is whether what they buy are good business for the long term. All the fear about delisting and regulations will come to pass. The China slowdown remain a risk as they can mess up their policy and cause a long drawn economic slump this remains unlikely as they have many policy levers they can use to boost the economy also big tech giants like Alibaba and Tencent have business outside China that are still growing.

(01-04-2022, 09:26 AM)Zannn Wrote:  Over optimism to think today will close up dude

I did not think it can close up today  but it did. It s fear fatigue. The investors got so scared...they got tired of being scared.

[Image: KDRvC0r.jpg]

Question 

ADR surge up....we will see very big moves next week...every paper hand got shaken down.

[Image: q6CAslA.jpg]

(15-03-2022, 06:58 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The full purchase value of all the sticks are covered already after I sold iFast.

I need to have some very good one to over poor performing...never in my imagination j imagine these investments to have so many regulatory risks from China and  US govt.

Hi bro, may i know what is your target price for this Alibaba? Not to pinpoint or blasting but purely for my own reference, thank you.

I was sad when i don't have a pair of new shoes, until i saw someone with no feet...

(01-04-2022, 09:08 PM)roguetrader Wrote:  Hi bro, may i know what is your target price for this Alibaba? Not to pinpoint or blasting but purely for my own reference, thank you.

A long term investment has no fixed "target"....do you see Warren Buffett ever set a "target" for his investment?

If a business keeps growing the stock can double or triple or quadruple....If business deteriorates it can go down hill.

At the current growth rate of 10% and margins assuming it can go continue at this growth rate, the company is worth $300...one can take reference from this ...but I won't sell just because it hits $300...

(01-04-2022, 08:41 AM)ROFLMAO Wrote:  You Bought too early as baba crashed >5% last night.

HSTech up 5.68% today.
One should not try to guess day to day.

The most important thing often is to stay on.

[Image: YIADnAx.jpg]

(04-04-2022, 04:24 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  HSTech up 5.68% today.
One should not try to guess day to day.

The most important thing often is to stay on.

[Image: YIADnAx.jpg]

BABA down >6% again

Laughter-13  Laughter-13

(31-03-2022, 09:41 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I have started to continue my accumulation of HK tech stocks using my funds from sale of iFast. I kept cash for some time. Unfortunately I  only purchase small amount at the bottom of the sell off the rebound was so fast and furious I decided not to rush in.

BABA pattern since it last major rebound.. Sell above 115 and buy at 110... You bought at 114

[Image: 1649187842759-png.141012]

Laughter-13  Laughter-13

(06-04-2022, 03:47 AM)ROFLMAO Wrote:  BABA pattern since it last major rebound.. Sell above 115 and buy at 110... You bought at 114

[Image: 1649187842759-png.141012]

i am not able to predict short term movement of the stock.
like all investments it can make or lose $$ eventually.

take some lesson from master leong who bought 13,000 alibaba, he has 13yrs experience in investing and now does it full time.
many of his multi bagger and successful investments go down aftr he buy he needed to
be patient. if everyday you keep fretting about how your stock move you are likely to worry and lose.

i would disagree with master leong on alloating so much on one stock alibaba as nobody is infallible and we need to survive our mistakes. you can never be sure when you invest...alibaba can end a failed investment...even if it as good chance of success.

I continue my purchases.Yesterday Barron wrote an article that despite China regulators giving in to audit checks they expect most China Tech stocks to be listed eventually. This along with the FED member who said they will speed up reduction of asset purchases cause the Nasdaq to selloff . China Tech fell 4-5%. US tech itself fell 2%. 

I took the chance to buy. I will not be doing so much individual stock picking but concentrate on buying the ETF.

[Image: gUBUaKJ.jpg]

My reflections on the opportunities and risks of China Tech.

[Image: Gyv4hnj.jpg]

1. When it hit bottom 2 weeks ago it was 70+% drop from the peak.

2. At the same time large tech firms announced retrenchment just like post dot com bubble crash.

3. From top to tye bottom tye Nasdaq bubble crash was 77%.
However, the Nasdaq bubble was filled with crazy overbaluation that was main reason for the crash.

4. The China tech crash was due to crazy combination of china regulation and delisting fears from US regulators.

5. Later these fears were also mixed into a situation where we have a China economic slowdown ...just like the recession post nasdaq bubble and later also had 911 which is like present day black Swan event-  Russian invasion of Ukraine.

6. The  Nasdaq eventually more than 10x from the bottom taking more than a decade.

7. We cannot say history will repeat as  it may not. But China doesn't want to use western platforms for e commerce, cloud and payment. ..and social media. These will have to be served by their local champions...the capital investment Is high and permanently crippling the cash generators fueling development in these areas and turning away foreign capital is a surefire way to lose and be left far behind.....last I heard China still wants to wants to win.

9. If China is playing to lose...I will get out. It can lose by nationalising these businesses, putting profit limits overbearing regulation and taxation. Other that that I am not to fearful of the China slowdown which until now looks temporary with many fiscal and monetary tools to navigate out.

10. Investments in China Tech are most difficult I have made with high risks and potential gains. They are not easy picks nor smooth rides.

(06-04-2022, 12:48 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  My reflections on the opportunities and risks of China Tech.

[Image: Gyv4hnj.jpg]

1. When it hit bottom 2 weeks ago it was 70+% drop from the peak.

2. At the same time large tech firms announced retrenchment just like post dot com bubble crash.

3. From top to tye bottom tye Nasdaq bubble crash was 77%.
However, the Nasdaq bubble was filled with crazy overbaluation that was main reason for the crash.

4. The China tech crash was due to crazy combination of china regulation and delisting fears from US regulators.

5. Later these fears were also mixed into a situation where we have a China economic slowdown ...just like the recession post nasdaq bubble and later also had 911 which is like present day black Swan event-  Russian invasion of Ukraine.

6. The  Nasdaq eventually more than 10x from the bottom taking more than a decade.

7. We cannot say history will repeat as  it may not. But China doesn't want to use western platforms for e commerce, cloud and payment. ..and social media. These will have to be served by their local champions...the capital investment Is high and permanently crippling the cash generators fueling development in these areas and turning away foreign capital is a surefire way to lose and be left far behind.....last I heard China still wants to wants to win.

9. If China is playing to lose...I will get out. It can lose by nationalising these businesses, putting profit limits overbearing regulation and taxation. Other that that I am not to fearful of the China slowdown which until now looks temporary with many fiscal and monetary tools to navigate out.

10. Investments in China Tech are most difficult I have made with high risks and potential gains. They are not easy picks nor smooth rides.

Better to share your view in InvestingNote than here

Laughter-13  Laughter-13

(06-04-2022, 01:34 PM)ROFLMAO Wrote:  Better to share your view in InvestingNote than here
It's okay these views are for my own reference because later in case I waver ...I refer back to my thoughts and take reference.

Form me these are like mind maps. When we get lost in ideas and emotions. We find our original thoughts and traced. It helps to prevent mistakes.

I still looking and waiting for market to present me an oppourtunity to buy something..once ID will whack hard hard
[+] 1 user Likes Sharexchange's post

Update my 47th purchase on 29 April 2022
[Image: KgLTqIg.jpg]

(06-06-2022, 04:53 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Update my 47th purchase on 29 April 2022
[Image: KgLTqIg.jpg]

Why u never buy didi…. Wasted

BYD has triple from initial entry price to make an all time high

HK tech stocks have been a tough ride and only very seasoned investors could have managed the risks well and reaped the full rewards.

It was a learning experience for me..at some stages the  stages was so bleak and hopeless ....really have fall back on deep  investment to make the right decisions.

For me venturing out of Singapore market for opportunities proved to be challenging. One needs to go above the noise that cluttered the HK Tech space and it was over many months.

[Image: 8vxOKX1.jpg]

(04-08-2021, 01:45 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  After 4 or 5months from starting  this portfolio was up 30%....so I wouldn't say its without potential or risk 

Of course I  have more established stock investment methods and techniques. I think you missed the backstory of why this HK stock portforlio was created. I had already done quite alright in Singapore stocks so I wanted to expand beyond what I am familiar with.

No doubt doing so will add to risk but the HK market had unique opportunities of listing Chika tech firms whose potential is enormous.

Recent months it has correction and selloffs due to China govt and unexpected events but its too early to conclude its a bad investment.

Property is always a leveraged investment for most they borrow 80% of the money to buy...and are stuck for for 10 or 20yrs. Its a different class of investment with its own issues.

Whether I make or lose money here.....I hope to offer lessons other investors can learn from from this type of less certain growth stocks which are more complicated than value investing picks I do regularly.

what further lessons to offer for others to learn from? I think for learning purposes, better dun over buy and over analyse, as one can be easily trapped in one's own imagination and hallucinations

(21-09-2022, 07:46 AM)FartSunKing Wrote:  Paging for sgbuffett for updates

You started this thread on your cbailj HK stocks

To share ideas and lessons learnt

Or to brag winners and hide losers

To inflate your fcuking ego?

It's not to brag but to share. HK market has fallen to 6 yr lows due to covid zero, china slowdown and evergrrande property crisis and tech sector regulation

I am humbled and have reduced my risks progressively. The losses have shaved off much off the gains I made over yrs in Singapore and other stocks. I have over estimated my own investing skills to enter a market with high complexity and political intrigue.

I thought the massive march/april 2022 selloff was a capitulation and bottom and actually added aggressively to it it rebounded sharply only go sink down...with zero covid.

I was still confident in April despite the sharp drop.

But subsequent data and issues show severity of china's problems.

I had to used various instruments to limit the downside should bottom fall out which is likely in coming weeks.

As an investor I am always hopeful it is darkest before dawn. ...but aware it can be darkest before pitch black.

[Image: yI6bauG.png]

Whether is fake or not I know that Mr Butt loss big time this time round

(21-09-2022, 08:25 AM)FartSunKing Wrote:  Paging for talent and ola

Do you have spare sanitary pads for sgbuffett to plug his bleeding arsehole?

Used ones also can, no difference to him

You do realise that the last time you came out so happy I lost money, the market bottomed and went up 30%.

I will give you benefit of the doubt this time as I am not sure there is any upside in this.

Investing is a risky process and losses come with it.

(21-09-2022, 09:41 AM)FartSunKing Wrote:  HSI below 18,500

[Image: wK7KWP6.png]

Don't be so kan-cheong.

Hell  comes every few years for stock investors this is a given.

Same as starting a business no matter how well planned it can fail and all businesses have to handle failure

There are those who start business and there are those who like to stand by the side and laugh at people when they fail.

no risk no gain, but how to make a living with such high risks for those with families to support?

(21-09-2022, 08:04 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  It's not to brag but to share. HK market has fallen to 6 yr lows due to covid zero, china slowdown and evergrrande property crisis and tech sector regulation

I am humbled and have reduced my risks progressively. The losses have shaved off much off the gains I made over yrs in Singapore and other stocks. I have over estimated my own investing skills to enter a market with high complexity and political intrigue.

I thought the massive march/april 2022 selloff was a capitulation and bottom and actually added aggressively to it it rebounded sharply only go sink down...with zero covid.

I was still confident in April despite the sharp drop.

But subsequent data and issues show severity of china's problems.

I had to used various instruments to limit the downside should bottom fall out which is likely in coming weeks.

As an investor I am always hopeful it is darkest before dawn. ...but aware it can be darkest before pitch black.

[Image: yI6bauG.png]

Bro yr system is trying to time after election China policy will change. That will not likely happen. Remember yr system often play u out in times of crisis? Did u refine yr system? Hsi already break Mar low. Share with u few weeks ago it will break n to cut if not now can wait pick up much lower.